What would you do?

carolyn

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into the guide at a local crag today.

I introduced myself.

Had I known he would be out there I would have brought it with.

I tried to set a time and place to meet with him. He kept coming up with excuses as to why he couldnt meet me

I would like to just get rid of this rope.mad.gif.

carolyn said:

I ran into the guide at a local crag today.

I introduced myself.

Had I known he would be out there I would have brought it with.

I tried to set a time and place to meet with him. He kept coming up with excuses as to why he couldnt meet me

He's totally embarrassed about forgetting the rope. He doesn't want his colleagues to know he screwed up.

carolyn said:...He kept coming up with excuses as to why he couldnt meet me

Sounds to me like you're making every possible effort to get this rope back to its owner, but at some point the owner has to reciprocate. If he doesn't want it back (and that's certainly the impression I'm getting), then give it to someone who does want it. Obviously most climbers would be reluctant to use it, but old climbing ropes are pretty popular with boat owners for dock line, due to it's dynamic characteristics, and also the equestrian crowd like tying their horses with it for the same reason. So take it down to the local riding club or marina - I'm pretty sure it'll find a good home in either place.

I thought this story was going to end with her inviting you to the concert and then you guys getting married!

yellaf.gif Exactly what I thought after stumbling onto this wonderful thread.

First she takes the rope...conscience eats at her (subconsciously). So she consults the thugs at cc.com, and even then she hears the old message of "do unto others" drumming in the background.

So one of two things is taking place here: Either she has a secret, fatal attraction to this guy...or else she's stuck to that bluewater rope forever, in some sort of Sisyphean punishment...she may throw it away, only to find it again the next time she climbs. hahaha.gif

Seriously, does anyone think that gear falls into the booty category when someone you can identify leaves something behind?

RobBob said:

Seriously, does anyone think that gear falls into the booty category when someone you can identify leaves something behind?

Here's a good story I heard that hits on your point. Well, it was a good story when it was told to me anyway.

This buddy of mine was on a big alpine climb in Alaska or the Canadian Rockies or somewhere, anyway, something big and snowy. My buddy is a regular Joe and there was one other regular Joe and then a rich trust-fund guy on the climb. So they make the summit and then on their descent the rich guy decides to abandon some of his equipment, (ice tool I think) to make his load lighter. Seeing this, one of the normal guys, thinks "Hey that's a nice axe" and picks it up to take with him. Seeing this, the rich guy gets all bent out of shape and demands the axe back and carries it down after all. laugh.gifcool.gif

I say that next time you talk with him, tell him your intentions. That you were trying to do him a favor, and that if he doesn't want the rope, then you will be glad to turn it into a dog leash for fluffy, a tree swing for the neighborhood kids, a boat hangar for the kayak in the garage, a tow rope for the back of the pick up, and a rope ladder for training in the back yard. Screw him. Then I'd call the guide co. he works for and explain how much money this guy is wasting. If he is this careless about the guide services equipment, I am sure this isn't the first piece he has casually left behind and not takne the responsibility to get back.

Secondly, can you tell me where this guy often guides so I can follow his group around whenever I am boired hoping to pick up some free Booty?

Stephan, you are either a liar or a lazy person if you find booty on Wilman's and refuse to take out a few slings b/c they are too heavy or you feel guilty. Believe me, the booty you find, people have no idea they left it, where they left it, or would be willing to go all the way back into the alpine to get it. Either that or it took a dinger from 4 pitches up and they have no idea where it landed or its location, so they consider it gone. Therefore it belongs to whoever finds it. I figure you will lose gear and you will find gear. Unless it is really expensive stuff, then I just keep it for passive use. Biners are good for racking pro, slings are good to use around the house, or rack pro. You can find all sorts of things out there!

I used to cruise the Glacier Point Apron every evening to scarf all the rap anchors people left behind. By the end of the summer, Half my rack was from those excursions. I have also left my share of gear behind. Whoever finds it gets it. Wet rock, lightning, darkness, too much smoke, not enough smoke, you name it. If I know whose gear it is, I ask them if they want it back. If they don't say yes right off the bat, I keep it. The universe will work out the trade.

texplorer said:

I am curious, does anyone have an entire rack-o-booty? I have almost a complete set of bd nuts and everything from a #4 camalot to a yellow alien booty pieces on my rack.

I don't but a friend of mine does. He has a complete rack of booty. He is the booty magnet, it's like things jump out of the bushes at him as he walks by... It's unreal.

I alos have a #4 booty Camalot. It took about 3 minutes to get it out, after the person assured me that it was stuck "real good." He was so embaressed he said I could keep it. cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
rbw1966 said:

Then you must not get out much Stefan. I was on the North Ridge of Stuart recently and scored some booty. On East Wilman Spire I scored some booty.

But maybe these are crags in your book. I dunno.

I find it incredible that you never came across any booty whatsoever.

Did you get the red Metolius FCU? Did a shard of sunlight pierce the clouds and illuminate you in a beam of light while a thundering voice from the heavens proclaimed you Lord and Master of Monte Cristo?

That sucker was in their good - like the sword in the stone......

texplorer said:

I am curious, does anyone have an entire rack-o-booty? I have almost a complete set of bd nuts and everything from a #4 camalot to a yellow alien booty pieces on my rack.

Ha...in the late 1980's, i was so broke i couldn't afford anything...My brother and i used to walk the NRG endless wall every monday...he on the bottom and me on the top and rap down to all of the bail gear...split our booty in the evening...still have a lot of that stuff thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

texplorer said:

in the past i gave away the booty to riverrats who use that shit for boat anchors and the occasional haul/raft-flip. i have thrown it out at times too. prolly should do that with some ropes i got tho i was thinking if tied into monkey fists theyd make okay christmas ornaments (and i woulnt have to pay for gifts).