What would you do?

carolyn

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the person left the rope there becuase they were coming back the next day to use the rope in the general vicinity or on the same climb.

Maybe the person who left the rope trusted other climbers that their stuff would not be taken from the location.

I have left a tent at a camping site, knowing I would bivy that night up high. I would then return to my campsite the next day. Yes, I was not at my tent during the night of my bivy, but I sure would be pissed off if someone took my tent, because they thought "I forgot" about it.

Stefan said:

Maybe the person left the rope there becuase they were coming back the next day to use the rope in the general vicinity or on the same climb.

Maybe the person who left the rope trusted other climbers that their stuff would not be taken from the location.

I have left a tent at a camping site, knowing I would bivy that night up high. I would then return to my campsite the next day. Yes, I was not at my tent during the night of my bivy, but I sure would be pissed off if someone took my tent, because they thought "I forgot" about it.

For my own personal sanity I'm just going to believe that you are trolling.

bird said:

Stefan said:

yelrotflmao.gif

Stefan said:

Apples and Oranges

Stefan said:

Several times I've left a cam stuck in a crack because I hope to use it the next time I climb that route. I trust other climbers not to remove it.

cj001f said:

Stefan said:

Several times I've left a cam stuck in a crack because I hope to use it the next time I climb that route. I trust other climbers not to remove it.

No shit, you do that too???

bird said:

Stefan said:

I've seen this happen at Marble Canyon in BC. It's total bullshit, but some guides can be so audacious...

bird said:

Stefan said:

Not trolling.

Some people just aren't that intelligent. Sometimes people forget things. Sometimes people accidently leave things behind. Sometimes people don't know how to be "politically correct" on rocks. Maybe this guide was such a dufuss he did leave shit behind. I would never do that with a rope and most people here on this site wouldn't ever take somebody's rope. You would be a dufuss to take a rope becuase you don't know the history of that rope.

But the truth is, you don't know the answer why the rope was taken and neither do I. I would never take somebody's shit. Ever. I just hope the rope gets back to the owner.

What I really think happened is that the guy forgot the rope and was going to come back to get it.

My example is not apples and oranges either. It has happened.

rbw1966 said:

Stefan said:

Apples and Oranges

I don't think its unreasonable to think someone might forget a rope. I also don't think it unreasonable to pick up said rope after a reasonable amount of time and try to return it to the party who forgot it. I actually think its a very nice thing to do and given the same set of circumstances as those described I would have (and have) done the same thing. I doubt any respectable guide service would intentionally leave gear behind at a crag to use the next day.

I do think its unreasonable to assume someone forgot a tent that was set up. Period.

Forgotten gear vs. Gear intentionally left behind.

Apples vs. Oranges.

YMMV

I do have a problem with what Carolyn did.

It's still not apples and oranges. I view it this way: carolyn took the rope without having the full intention to return it (she was on the fence about her decision). If she didn't intend to return it, then why would she ask if she should keep it?

RBW I agree taking stuff to return to the rightfull owner is good and I agree with you on that.

At least this story has a positive end. I do hope carolyn feels better for getting the rope to the rightful owner.

Stefan said:But the truth is, you don't know the answer why the rope was taken and neither do I. I would never take somebody's shit. Ever. I just hope the rope gets back to the owner.

So you've never taken a piece of booty in your life?

Ever?

Not even a sling?

Or a booty cam?

Either your lying or you don't get out much.

cj001f said:

Stefan said:But the truth is, you don't know the answer why the rope was taken and neither do I. I would never take somebody's shit. Ever. I just hope the rope gets back to the owner.

So you've never taken a piece of booty in your life?

Ever?

Not even a sling?

Or a booty cam?

Either your lying or you don't get out much.

I am not a cragger. I am 100% in the alpine. I never come across shit when I am out there. I would never take the shit either becuase then I know I would have to pack it out, and I try to minimize my weight as much as possible. I do come across slings--but I don't take them.

Edited by Stefan

Then you must not get out much Stefan. I was on the North Ridge of Stuart recently and scored some booty. On East Wilman Spire I scored some booty.

But maybe these are crags in your book. I dunno.

I find it incredible that you never came across any booty whatsoever.

Fejas said:

cj001f said:

Stefan said:

No shit, you do that too???

Yeah. Some dickhead takes it every time too.

apples and orenges...

I argee with rob, if you had wraped your tent up and left it some one might have mistaken it for forgoten gear. a rope just lying there and he didn't even mess with it, just left it where carolyn had moved it, it was forgoten gear...