What would you do?

carolyn

So, this weekend I started setting up a climb that another gruop was tearing down. It was a guided group. The person guiding the group I feel is rude, unprofessional, AND unsafe. My observations are not coming from this one day, but nearly 2 yrs of close encounters with 'em on a regular basis.

So, the guide is ending the day with some obviously upset customers. His rope is in the way of our set up. I leave it there for a while, then move it.

Before I could say anything, he left without the rope. Gone...poof...vanish! I coiled it up and put it out of our way fully expecting him to come back and collect it.

Hours later....the rope is still there.

We leave and bring the rope with us.

Do I keep it or not?

Its a nice, new, beefy bluewater rope. Good for a number or purposes around here. My conscience says give it back. My brain says, "fuck that".

Sooooo? Bad Karma to keep it?

DIscuss!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the guide service is a company, as opposed to an individual, you could:

Take the rope to the company office.

Ask to speak to the company president (or have an appointment ahead of time).

Return the rope to him explaining how you ended up with it.

Also mention during the conversation how you, as a fellow climber, found his company to be rude, unprofessional, and unsafe.

Bug, you have the winning response!

yelrotflmao.gif

Figger8, you are dead on. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

I gave the guy a call this morning. He insisted he would never 'lose' a rope. It actually took some coercing to get him to look and see if he was missing one. Didnt seem to care much that it was missing... said it was easy for him to replace and tax deductable. rolleyes.gif

I will feel better when its completely off my hands;)