Mt. Sloan

JasonG

Just curious if there are decent campsites at the small lake on the way to that ridge route described in Alpine Select (in the Ault creek valley?). We don't have a high clearance vehicle and with the long drive from the states, road walk, etc. are looking to bivy somewhere before the route. Thanks for any info . . .

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

best bivi is right on the road then you can go send the ridge with light packs and not have to climb back onto the ridge to retrieve your gear if descending the s face gullies thumbs_up.gif

you will find the road is in 2wd shape right now i believe due to some recent logging, and extends further than indicated in alpine select thumbs_up.gif

I was up there about a month ago. The road is in great condition with no need for 4wd hc. I think there are more logging roads in the area than when McLane's guide was published, so it took us a while to find the right road. We were also driving at 2 in the morning, so that didn't help. As Dru said, the road goes farther than shown in the guide and the end of it is a good place to bivy. There is a nice flat spot by the lake, but the bushwack in is not pleasant and it would probably be best to head right up and down the ridge. After not getting to the top of Sloan we decided it would be nice to check out the lake and ended up with a not so nice bushwack. Have fun. It's a beautiful mountain.

i haven't been up the ridge past where it starts to get 4th class but after climbing the n face - nw ridge i found that going down the south side was a pretty fast descent to the nice lakes. i only had about 45 minutes of bushwacking from lakes down to road but it was not that great; i still had june snowpack too.