Wonderland Trail in 48hrs?

mr.radon

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blight said:Do you know if that was a "self-supported" effort? Did they carry all of their own food, water, and gear? Just curious about the rules of "the record".

What extra gear do you need if you do it in 25 hours????

Anyone who does it that fast gets the record.

People running the Iron Man get free liquids and food. I figure anyone who is truly running the trail competitively can do whatever it takes to get the body from point A to point A (after 94 miles). And unless an official sanctioning body sets rules on running the Wonderland Trail we can debate the issue till we turn blue.

As long as you don't run to Mowich Lake hop in a car drive to Reflection Lakes wait a few minutes then finish at Longmire

i didn't think the question was that difficult. who said anything about debating? i'm not questioning their effort or the style it was carried out in. i have any no interest in debating rules or do i have any interest in establishing a set of rules. as i said, i am curious whether it was supported or not. what does the ironman, a sanctioned event, have to do with my question? the ironman is supported and it would be a coupletely different event if it weren't. why don't you let the guy that knows, answer the question.

Blight said:

i didn't think the question was that difficult. who said anything about debating? i'm not questioning their effort or the style it was carried out in. i have any no interest in debating rules or do i have any interest in establishing a set of rules. as i said, i am curious whether it was supported or not. what does the ironman, a sanctioned event, have to do with my question? the ironman is supported and it would be a coupletely different event if it weren't. why don't you let the guy that knows, answer the question.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

It was a supported effort. They carried water in a blatter, and 1 down sweater, and fleece pants and a wool hat, and radios. The theory being that if one got hurt the other could run for help. At the major points, there was food for them to eat, the clock continued to run. In a few sections they had family or friends running with them. It was a low key event didn't want much publicity about it, I was just curious about if it was a record. I have only seen one thing in Dee Molenaar book in regards to 28.5 hours. I just think it is an accomplishment, if it is a record or not who cares.

Everyone be cool, this is just my opinion. blush.gif

There is a difference between supported and unsupported. shocked.gif I am not saying one is better than the other, but they are different.

Is there a difference between a expedition style fully supported summit of Everest with gas and one unsupported without gas? Of course. Did they both summit? Yes. thumbs_up.gif

Both worked hard and accomplished something major. In two different styles, but they both did it. fruit.gif

God I know my old fat ass couldn't do it with or without support. So good gaod damn job!!! rockband.gif

Blight said:

Hey but you also said:

Blight said:Do you know if that was a "self-supported" effort? Did they carry all of their own food, water, and gear? Just curious about the rules of "the record".

Lets see that again.

Blight said: Just curious about the rules of "the record".

Before you ream me a new one check out WTF I was answering. To me it sure sounds like you wanted to know what the rules were on the WT.

My post was limited to the question of gear needed and the fact I didn't think there would ever be agreement on ground rules for getting into the record books for completing the Wonderland Trail.

I don't really care about rules anyway, anyone that does it in less then four days deserves a nice pat on the back and they probably did it for their own gratification anyway. However, these guys deserve a few bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a question for all of you out there...This guy's feat was undoubtedly very cool, and difficult achievement. My question is, because he propositioned supplies in the form of food, and maybe some other things, is that a supported effort?

Does it make a difference that he preplaced the supplies instead of someone else?

Opinions / input appreciated ... wave.gif

does it makea difference? who gives a shit? if you're into that kinda suffering, you shouldn't give a crap wether a guy ran the whole way w/ 30 measly packs of gu or deposited them here and there beforehand...a herioc task regardless. - know's what i'm talking 'bout, right, danny-boy?

Edited by ivan

Ivan...you're missing the point. The question is less about this guy and more about what is supported versus unsupported in general.

If this was a climb of a peak and there were propositioned supplies in place that were actually used on the ascent, is it supported?

Just soliciting opinions, not slamming anyone or their style. Read my post above and you'll see that is clear.

wave.gif

I personally think that an objective like this one lends itself more to caching food than to carrying it all. We all know the Wonderland trail can be completed alone, supported or unsupported-- no one needs to prove anything in this regard. For me the satisfaction would come from having gotten all the way around the big mountain in one day, under my own foot power. Whether I cache food, or have friends or family support me, it would be more fun not to carry it all, because then I could go faster. The trail run experience is very different from the backcountry hiking experience, though not so different from the short 3rd class scramble experience-- just longer. I know some people say it's no way to experience the Wonderland Trail, that you're bound to miss a lot of it. Indeed, the trail runner will miss some things that the hiker will see, but the reverse is true as well.

AmberBuxom said:

paul tergat broke the world record for the marathon in berlin. he was supported. aid stations provided fluids are regular intervals. does it matter to anyone?

I think there is a clear difference in that suppoort in a Marathon is standard. He raced, comepted, and won within the standard.

I am only asking opinions. There clearly is no standard in this realm, or is there? Is it an alpine pursuit? Or a road race? Maybe neither?

Rodchester said:

AmberBuxom said:

paul tergat broke the world record for the marathon in berlin. he was supported. aid stations provided fluids are regular intervals. does it matter to anyone?

I think there is a clear difference in that suppoort in a Marathon is standard. He raced, comepted, and won within the standard.

I am only asking opinions. There clearly is no standard in this realm, or is there? Is it an alpine pursuit? Or a road race? Maybe neither?

support in ultra-marathons is pretty standard too. for the wonderland trail there is no set race obviously. but support for longdistance events is pretty standard. only when support is NOT used is it noteworthy (example: marathon du sables).