Left car: 20:25 Friday night (stupid)

Arrived at car: 00:35 Monday morning

Details to follow the_finger.gif

***********End of chest thumping**********

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the fact I ended that with a question mark didn't sink in? And I said details would follow.

But since it's been raised, I could have easily have done it in 48 hrs had I not hiked for the first three hours on Friday night. I would have been better off sleeping at the parking lot and leaving Saturday morning. I know I could have done it in 48hrs, but "Officially" it was not; hence the question mark.

The times are listed below. Here is what I brought:

Light weight North Face down bag & blue sleeping pad

OR Advanced Bivy

Bladder for water

Small backpack

Down jacket (pillow)

Polypro pull over, light weight glove, wool hat (sleeping)

Trail shoes & socks, Long john top & bottom

Sunglasses, ball cap, bandana, shorts

Cell phone (not used)

Food: Rindless brie, bagett, (1) can of Spam

beef jerky, tuna fish (didn't eat), about 30 packets of GU

(60% consumed), (13) breakfest bars (8 consumed)

toilet paper (didn't use), Didn't crap once.

Brought cool-aid. Started with cool-aid, then water, cool-aid, water, cool-aid. So I filled up with water 4 times. No filter, looked for spring water, plenty around.

Clockwise Time Split

Longmire 20:25

Pyramid Creek 21:32 1:07

Devils Dream 22:13 0:41

Indian Henry's 22:38 0:25

S. Puyallup 7:44 9:06

Klapatche Park 9:04 1:20

N. Puyallup 9:54 0:50

Golden Lakes 11:28 1:34

Mowich River 13:24 1:56

Mowich Lake 15:38 2:14

Ipsut Creek 17:16 1:38

Carbon River 18:06 0:50

Dick Creek 18:53 0:47

Mystic Lake 20:39 1:46

Granite Creek 8:09 11:30

Sunrise 9:40 1:31

White River 10:42 1:02

Summerland 13:13 2:31

Indian Bar 15:28 2:15

Nickle Creek 18:25 2:57

Box Canyon 19:07 0:42

Maple Creek 19:54 0:47

Paradise River 22:54 3:00

Longmire 0:35 1:41

congrats! hell of an accomplishment. just curious how the park service handles permits for doing trips of this nature....

so it looks like you did sleep a little each night, did you have a wilderness permit and the park service allowed you to camp wherever you wanted to along the trail or did you do the trip without registering with the park service for overnight camping?

Attitude said:

mr.radon said:

Long john top & bottom...

....shorts....

Shorts over polypro?

yelrotflmao.gif

attitude you are a dumbass. do you ever contribute anything worth a shit? why do you f-in care what someone wears?

the best part is you probably couldn't even walk around your house in 48 hours.

the_finger.gif

so it looks like you did sleep a little each night, did you have a wilderness permit and the park service allowed you to camp wherever you wanted to along the trail or did you do the trip without registering with the park service for overnight camping?

Last year I called in advance, the park service taped the backcountry permit to the door for me. This year I forgot I had called, I thought that you could self register like in the winter which I do all the time. As it turned out I had two choices, I was lame and took the easy one. I hiked without a permit. I figure how am I all that different from dayhikers?

I was wrong to do this and no-one should follow my lame example. I had wanted to sleep on the porch at Indian Henry’s Hunting Ground, but there was a ranger there so I slept on the trail near the Mirror lake turn off. To make up for my lameness I sent a PM to Mike G. to apologize.

mr.radon said:

Apparently the fact I ended that with a question mark didn't sink in? And I said details would follow.

But since it's been raised, I could have easily have done it in 48 hrs had I not hiked for the first three hours on Friday night. I would have been better off sleeping at the parking lot and leaving Saturday morning. I know I could have done it in 48hrs, but "Officially" it was not; hence the question mark.

This is either totally hilarious, or a good troll, I'm just not sure which, yet. yellaf.gif

Alpinfox said:

How long is the WT? Were you jogging most/part of the way?

Answering part of my own question.... WT is 93 miles. Radon's average is 1.86 mph (includes sleeping, etc.). That seems pretty fast.

So, any jogging involved?

How much sleep?

Other non-moving time?

Lets dispel some myths starting here.

Total hiking time was 33hrs 10m. The guy that did this in 26 hours was in damn good shape. Downhill sucks.

I planed 22 minute miles, I did 21 minute miles.

I did NOT run/jog.

I did not get assistance, I carried all items with me.

I did haul out trash I found on the trail/CG.

I did not take breaks except for:

Fri: Sleep

Sat: sleep, lunch

Sun: sleep, lunch, 15m break

I planed a three day trip, I shortened it to two so I didn't have to burn a vacation day at work.

Yes, I went to work Monday.

NO, it was not productive.

My polypro top & bottom are gray, dull and boring.

My shorts are gray, dull and boring.

My socks are gray, dull and boring.

My shoes are gray, dull and boring.

If anyone else does this trail, no matter how fast or slow, I tip my hat to them. This was harder then my summit day from 14K camp on Denali. The Wonderland Trail is a true classic.

mr.radon said:

If anyone else does this trail, no matter how fast or slow, I tip my hat to them. This was harder then my summit day from 14K camp on Denali. The Wonderland Trail is a true classic.

Congratulations on your trip. The WL trail is a classic.

For me, it's turning into an epic... I made my second attempt week before last starting at White River, but I stopped at Longmire -- I pulled a hamstring between box canyon and reflection lakes. I had fun running the downhills though -- I did White River to Nickel Creek in 5 hours, and got up to about 120 fpm descent coming into Indian Bar. In retrospect it wasn't such a hot idea, but it seemed fun at the time.

Quite an accomplishment indeed! Your TR inspires me to go for it next year with a 24 hour goal in mind, but considering the condition of my feet after 42 miles this Sunday, I want to know: how much did it hurt? What part of you suffered the most? What kind of footwear did you choose? What was the longest training hike you took beforehand?

Norman_Clyde:

How much did it hurt?

Not a lot only when I got home.

What part did you suffer the most?

My feet started to hurt around Mystic Lakes, 1/2 way.

My right knee started to twang heading down to Mowich River Camp Ground. It hurt worse with each new downhill section.

The most I suffered was from Maple Creek Camp Ground to Reflection Lake. The last uphill was too long and the vegitation was recently trimmed. The trimmed vegitation was laying on the trail. It was getting dark and there was no way to tell if you were going to step on a rock or root. In less then a few minutes I had almost turned my ankle twice. For several sections I had to shuffle my feet to make sure I was not going to step on a hidden root or rock. Last thing I wanted was to get carried out the last 5 miles.

What kind of footwear did you choose?

I had on brand "NEW" Trail running shoes. I bought the lightest pair that were comfortable. A good choice. I forget the brand, I think they are made by Rebock? Very light and flexible. Not enough arch support though. My arches are a little achy right now.

What was the longest hike beforehand?

Training hikes were all less then 12 miles. Most much shorter. Last year I did about 50miles before I bailed, so I knew what I was in for.

KEVINW:

I found I could not go downhill too fast. I used to run the Pikes Peak Marathon but running downhill blew out my knees. I would not advise anyone to run the downhill sections of the Wonderland Trail. Personnaly I made my best time going up a slight incline. I ran a few flat sections early on but not much at all.

"Boeing Sucks!" is still stamped on my water bottles and other gear I brought out to Denali but I didn't bring any of that stuff.

Elevation Map

Here is the TR on my experiances:

Wonderland Trail:

93-95 miles, 24,000' vertical elevation gain and loss.

8/15/03

Wake up very apprehensive about this weekend. I make sure my boss knows I will be out Monday, maybe even Tuesday. I load up my backpack. I had looked at a new lightweight backpack for this trip, but figure stick with what you know. I know I need a bivy and sleeping bag. I have a wonderfully light North Face +30F down bag. I also throw in my down jacket stuffed into my Metolius climbing harness bag, light weight and will serve as a good pillow. I add my lightest ¾ length blue foam pad. In the pad I roll a baguette. I line the backpack with a garbage bag, and stuff in the sleeping bag, down jacket. On top I throw in a pair of light weight gloves, polypro pull-over, my wool cap, my micro light LED headlamp with fresh batteries. I take my cell phone in case I can call Steve to let him know if I'm doing plan "A" or "B". He plans on meeting me at White River on Sunday to hike with me. I bring two tubes of GU for food, along with a can of Spam (1080 calories), 13 breakfast bars, some (24) beef jerky stick @ 30 calories each. I add a plastic wedge of the rindless brie cheese and throw in two packets of tuna fish for lunch. In my backpack's bladder pouch I stash my Platypus which I fill with cool-aid. I bring cool-aid to make two more batches. The pack is relatively light. I go to work and still remain apprehensive. I get stuck in a meeting from hell and can't leave till 4PM. I head off, traffic is a nightmare. Big mistake, I didn't call ahead for the backcountry permit. I forgot I did this last year, they had taped it to the ranger station door. I have a

choice to make, hike illegally or forget about it. I decide to go. I

brought a little note book along to document the trip, on the first page I write a note to myself; "The hour of truth, can it be done? YES!"

I love the weather, rather mild. I make good time to Indian Henry's Hunting Ground. I've been up that section three times now, boring. I turn into the hut and sit on the porch noting that Jeremy was right, this would be a good place to sleep. However as I grab the log book I hear someone rustling inside the hut? A female pokes her head out and asks what the heck am I doing? Do I have a permit? I'm honest with her and tell her my story. To make a long story short she tells me to head back to Longmire and get a permit in the morning! Right!! I head back to the trail and camp along the trail, figure I'll be up and out of there before anyone wakes up. I throw the backpack high up into a tree about 40 yards from my bivy and slide off to blissful sleep. I wake up many times at night to the sound of rain. I'm having flashbacks to last year.

8/16/03

Wake up to nothing but dampness. The rain is gone but the area is wet, wet, wet. I eat a few breakfast bars, retrieve the backpack out of the tree; it's soaking wet. I pile the damp sleeping bag and wet bivy into it. I'm heading down the trail at 06:04. I hope the ranger hasn't called me in. My shoes were dry up to this point, however, as I passed vegetation my shorts, polypro long johns, socks and shoes became soaked in water. My feet started to squish with every step. I can feel the feet wrinkling up as I walk. Blisters are starting. There are only a few glimpses of the Tahoma Glacier as the clouds lift and then drop again. The high point to South Puyallup Camp Ground is neat, you follow an old moraine for a distance. The river crossing on the suspension bridge is thrilling in the day time. I don't stop as I pass the campground. Nor for the next or the next. Soon I'm at Golden Lakes, by this time my knee has started to pang just a little bit. I debate stopping at Golden Lakes, I head on to Mowich River. The river crossing here is tricky as most of the bridges are out. I take a brief 40 minute break at the camp ground.

I set the pack next to me and check out the feet. They are water logged

and sore with blisters. I eat a little bit of the baguette with cheese and a few jerky sticks. I set my pad out and sit on it resting my back against a log. A few people are in camp. I pull out the bug juice and apply it to my arms. The bugs are bad here. I catch a mosquito sucking on my right big

toe. For the twang in my knee I take 800mg of Ibuprofen.

After 40 minutes I get up and headed up to Mowich Lake. Heading up the trail I stop for water at a small spring popping out of the ground. At the lake I enjoy the view of the lake but the people annoy me. Noisy, smoky and just unpleasant. I had gotten used to the sounds and smells of nature. A bit past Mowich Lake is Ipsut Pass, wonderful area. I dropped down the pass eating berries as I go. I quickly get to Ipsut Creek and remembered the snowy days when we hiked in from there to climb Liberty Ridge. Soon the Carbon River Camp Ground is behind me and another suspension bridge. After Dick Creek Campground I started thinking I could make it to Granite Creek. However the steep path to Mystic Lake convinced me that I had gone far enough today. As I arrived at Mystic Lake the sun was setting and the view was wonderful. The entire Willis Wall, Ptarmigan Ridge, Liberty Ridge and Glacier were lit in a deep red glow from the sunset. I walked to the end of the lake to see the reflection and actual sunset in the clear surface of the lake, OUTSTANDING. After sunset I nabbed a camp spot and pitched my bivy. I ate Spam with bread. I sleep very good and very soundly.

8/17/03

At 6AM I got up ate the left over Spam and continued on my way. My socks were still damp as were the shoes. It grimaced as I slide them on. I dumped the rest of the water from the day before and filled the bladder with cool-aid. Today was going to be hot, I could feel it. There was a small detour near Granite Creek Camp Ground. The trail had washed out. I was drinking a lot of water/cool-aid. After Granite Creek the trail levels out a little bit as you approach Sunrise. As I crested the plateau near Sunrise I ran into a huge Marmot. Near here I run out of water. I don't stop at Sunrise but just continue to White River where I know there is tap water on hand. Descending to White River is painful, I do not like the steep downhill sections. I fill up on my water; no cool-aid. From here on out I'm expecting to see Steve. As I head down the road there he is coming up it. He turns around and parks. I ache as he gets ready to hike. Soon the two of us are hiking up to Summerland together. The views on this hike are very rewarding. The day is hot. It's nice to have Steve hiking with me for this section. At Summerland Steve and I take a break. I eat lunch. A few breakfast bars, jerky and some water. I talk to two young guys going to Indian Bar Camp Ground. Steve and I head out for Pan Handle Gap; the trail still covered in snow at some points. Steve turns around about half way up, I continue up the trail and over the pass. The trail down to Indian Bar doesn't ease up right away. There are a few areas where uphill travel is still required. The two young hikers are keeping pace with me all the way to Indian Bar. From the trail the view of Indian Bar is wonderful. The flowers are just growing all around the camp and waterfall.

At Indian Bar I say good-bye to the two youngsters and continue on toward Nickel Creek Camp Ground. I cry at the steep uphill section as I leave Indian Bar. I have to take a break to catch my breath, this hill is steep. Soon I'm losing elevation and set a good pace towards Nickel Creek. I pass a pair of dayhikers with a video camera. They don't like the dust I'm kicking up so they run past me. At Indian Creek I take a short break near the creek, eat something and refill my water bag with cool aid. I take stock of my physical state. Now that I've had a chance to rest and re-hydrate I decide to finish the route tonight.

I quickly head to Box Canyon and see the parking lot. I cross the bridge and continue till Maple Creek. After Maple Creek, had I known the conditions of the trail or the amount of up hill to get to Reflection Lake I would have camped right then and there. The vegetation along this trail was recently cut. The cut vegetation hid rocks and roots. I had to be very careful here. The uphill was murderous. Just horrible. Reflection Lakes didn't come soon enough. Just a few miles in I had to put on the head lamp, which made trail walking even more difficult. I ran into the road several more times and finally made it to the last highpoint Reflection Lakes. I didn't bother to even look, I was totally focused on finishing the trail. After the Lakes the trail dropped rapidly. One more interesting creek-crossing left and soon I was back at Longmire. That parking lot look so wonderful, my car even better, what a neat machine, no walking involved. WOW I did it!

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the record was broken last week. A gentleman named Skye Thompson ran/walked the whole trail in 25.5 hrs. I know a few details, will post more in future if anyone is interested. Started from Longmire at Noon Thursday, September 11, finished at Longmire at approx 1:30 Friday afternoon. There was two of them doing it, one got hurt around mile 50 (hurt knee) so they walked for about 2-3 hours before Skye started running again. He said he will try to break 24 next year. I will get split times if necessary. He had people running certain sections with him, had a film crew at certain times (someone is making a short film regarding the issue) Just thought people would like to know about it. Anyone know what the record is by chance?