Looking for conditions beta on Red Mountain

Rodchester

I climbed Red a month ago before the new snow, and it was no problem. Even though it was snowing hard that day and they were blasting away at Cave Ridge, we stayed in the trees up to the SW Ridge and on the ridge itself to the top and felt plenty safe. More recently, we saw ski tracks down the lower face this past Sunday, so even this new snow must have stabilized. The snow on the N. and E. sides of Guye were quite stable on Sunday, for what it's worth. I suspect you'll find a number of tracks through the woods leading to Red, and won't need snowshoes until you are rising up the rib out of Commonwealth Basin, if at all.

Good luck,

John Sharp

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in on Saturday above Source Lake. Conditions would be similar in Commonwealth Basin. Basically stable av conditions, a light 6 inches was on top of consolidated stable stuff. No recent activity, and its only snowed once since then (last night), so you should be fine (but take a beacon anyway).