Rope solo - Grigri?

epb

quote:

Originally posted by fern:
be careful using a gri-gri for soloing on less than vertical rock. I took a stupid ground-fall from about 25' up because #1) I am dumb, #2) when I fell I was skidding down with the gri-gri between me and the rock, so there was no room for the cam to swing out and lock up. The gri-gri slid down to the back-up knot which put enough rope into the system for me to kiss the ground. #3) I am dumb.

oh cmon, blame aliens or something. ALIENS MADE ME CRATER!!!!!! ufo.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks like the modification basically turns the grigri into a soloist. i've done alot of pitches with one from wren industries and the rope issues are the same as everyone had been talking about with the grigri. you either struggle with the weight of the hanging rope or take it all with you. i also use a slip knot for backups like wallstein said and it works well. the only major difference is you have to use a chest harness, but it really doesn't get in the way much and you forget about it when you're climbing.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: dr. jay ]