GPRS on Rainier

eternalX

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eternal X, I know you are trying to be prepared for this climb, but I can't help but ask what kind of glacier experience and two-man rope team travel have you had on a mountain like Rainier? Why so many questions? The Emmons is definately one of the first routes to head up, but just because it can be straight forward, does not mean it is easy or does not have inherent dangers. I apologize if I read your questions wrong, but many of them seem pretty basic. Like you should already know the answers yourself before climbing Rainier. My bad if I am wrong, it can be hard to digest this kinda stuff through the internet. At least one of the two of you should be very experienced in climbing big glaciers. My two cents. Have a good weekend. Leaving for Sahale slog now!

heh. Actually, the reason I was asking about GPRS service was because i was debating bringing this camera phone with me that i got from AT&T FREE! Service and all. Just curious. I'm slammed at work, but for some reason I can't seem to get any work done. I'm more asking a lot of questions because I'm curious about things, not because i'm nervous about the trip.

But thanks for your concern. grin.gif

Ya know, sometimes the purpose of asking questions is not so much to hear a formal "this is the correct answer", but rather start a debate and hear what falls out. Having asked what might seem be a very basic question (not saying it isn't) in the NEWBIE forum, I've learned about a few things I've never heard of (multiple knots in the rope AND Lone Rescuer) and what people think of them.

As far as GPRS is concerned, it does no good to bring a cell phone that only supports GPRS if there is no GPRS service. Will I find that out once I'm there? Yea. Is it a horrible question to ask? Maybe. Is it hard question to answer "yes" or "no"? Apparently.

Not having lived in the PNW for many years nor having many people to ask the silly questions that might be normally brought up over beers at the Wedgewood, I come here.

Having said that, I will answer your question. I do not have a ton of experience. I have spent a week on the Kahani (sp?) ridge in the winter, jumping off little ridges and setting up pulleys, along with trying to climb Whitney in Dec. My only previous glacier travel was part of a 4 man team last July when we climbed Olympus. At this point I feel comfortable enough to try a mountain like Rainier with the same people.

Don't hate. Spray.

TR for Emmons Route (2 people):

Arrived on friday at white river at about 3am. Slept in the car. Woke up at 8 am and we're off on the trail by 10:00 (had to get permit pack our stuff up. other member had flown in that night from phoenix and his flight was delayed until 1am).

We climbed up the middle of interglacier at the bottom. I 'd stay right of the rocks and on the snow next time. Too much ice in the middle. Probably the only part of the trip that had a littel rockfall danger as some guys broke some rock loose above us. Really minor though. Just stay to the side of the rocks (duh). Roped up about halfway up the glacier. If you went right off the rocks you'd probably want to rope up at the bottom. Couple snow bridges, one is pretty sketchy, but the crack is pretty small. the bridge will be gone in a few days though. Several holes in it already. Also a few sketchy bridges once you get off the moraine onto the home strecth to Shurman. Somebody fell through the other day with no rope and almost plunged to his death according to the ranger. Luckily, his pack made him just fat enough to get stuck. Use your common sense. Again, the cracks are usually pretty small. Arrived at Shurman by 4.

Left at 4:30 am for the summit (after spilling about 2 liters of water! Only had a liter each for the hike up madgo_ron.gif), whereas everyone else left at like 1am. Sun broke at about 7 and it quickly got hot. Should've started at 1! madgo_ron.gif I thought we were crawling up the mountain but we made the peak by 10:45. Actually passed a few groups on the way down that started at 12:45. Total slog all the way down.

Thing to note: The Emmons route now joins up with the DC route at about 13000-13500 because the top of the Emmons route is closed for the season. I think this added some distance.

Back at emmons flats by 1 and took a 20 minute nap and packed up the tent. Started down at 3:40 after talking to some people and dropping some weight smile.gif and back at the car by 7.

All in all a great trip, but learned some good tips.

1. Start earlier from Emmons Flats (you all know this i'm sure)

2. There is water at Shurman. Don't need to melt snow.

3. You do stupid things badly when tired. I took a little digger on some ice towards the end of Interglacier.

4. Work sucks rockband.gif

Cheers

JoshK said:

eternalX said:

the top of the Emmons route is closed for the season

Whadda they got up there, a roadblock or just some state partrol directing you around the closure?

Out of work Air Mashalls are leading everyone around and checking for weapons.

Actually, I think they put a few wands X-over the boot path and then there is another boot path leading to the DC route. It all worked. I didn't ask questions.

Sphinx said:

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Where are the witnesses and GPS trail? Did the rangers verify your statements? Did you go to the rim or to the true summit?

All of my witnesses live in the Niagara Falls area along with all the girls I've slept with and as such you'll not be able to contact them. smileysex5.gif