Eating pork - Yeah or Nay

allthumbs

It's an example of how a semi-scientific reason can get codified into religious dogma and remain so even when the original reason is forgotten. Pork carries with it the possibility of trichinosis when undercooked, so it would have been a sensible "taboo" to institute for the good of a primitive people. Now, it's just a vestigial of an old taboo long forgotten for it's source.

Lean pork is actually a better food source than beef because it is lower in fat and has less cholesterol. How many of you chodes abstain from pork for some goofy religious reason?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pork is gross. thumbs_down.gif I abstain from it because I don't like the taste. Only time I can eat pork is if the pork flavour is masked by some strong marinade/sauce (ie: BBQ and curry) or it's thin and/or burnt to a crisp (ie: bacon, cold cuts, canadian bacon). Pork chops suck.

ken4ord said:

Yeah HCL.gifHCL.gif

That's not saying much though. Since when I am hungry I don't care what it is, I'll eat it. I couldn't imagine life without procuitto or pork tenderloin.

Speak for yourself. Rob's talking about making the ladies feel special, not HCL.gif

erik said:

FOOD IS GOOD!

IF YOU DONT EAT CERTAIN FOOD YOUR LOSS, BUT DONT EXPECT ME TO CARE!!

I BBQ'D UP SOME TASTY TENDERLOIN ON TUESDAY!!! COMPLIMENTED THE 5TH OF JIM! JUST RIGHT!!!

bigdrink.gif

Have you tried the cream-filled sausage? I bet you'll like it.

gohawks said:

erik said:

FOOD IS GOOD!

IF YOU DONT EAT CERTAIN FOOD YOUR LOSS, BUT DONT EXPECT ME TO CARE!!

I BBQ'D UP SOME TASTY TENDERLOIN ON TUESDAY!!! COMPLIMENTED THE 5TH OF JIM! JUST RIGHT!!!

bigdrink.gif

Have you tried the cream-filled sausage? I bet you'll like it.

nope, i am not too much a sausage fan. they kinda like you are a bi-product of something gone awry!

hahaha.gif

Carnitas is the best!

Many anthropologists are now convinced that the reason Hebrew culture abstained from pork had more to do with thermodyamics than fear of disease. The pig occupies the same omnivorous portion of the food web as humans do. Theirfore, the food that pigs eat, people can eat too and gain a greater thermodynamic return on their labor investment. In a harsh desert environment where food is scarce and agriculture is difficult it makes sense.

Several middle-eatern cultures with better established agriculture did eat pork, at the the same time as Hebrews abstained. Geek_em8.gif

[VINCENT]

You want some bacon?

[JULES]

No, man, I don't eat pork.

[VINCENT]

Are you Jewish ?

[JULES]

No, I ain't Jewish, i just don't dig on swine, that's all.

[VINCENT]

Why not?

[JULES]

Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.

[VINCENT]

But bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good...

[JULES]

Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie,

But I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfuckers.

Pigs sleep and root in shit, that's a filthy animal.

I don't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.

[VINCENT]

How about a dog? A dog eats its own feces

[JULES]

I don't eat dog either

[VINCENT]

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?

[JULES]

I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy, but it's definately dirty.

But, dogs got personality, personality goes a long way.

[VINCENT]

So by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filty animal. Is that true?

[JULES]

We' have to be talkin' 'bout one charmin' motherfuckin' pig.

I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

Hummmm, pork. Lets see. Pork loin stuffed with mango and pineapple, or stuffed with apple chunks and prunes. Black forest ham straight up or in a sandwich, pork roast, head cheese, all kinds of sausage, pork ribs, bacon, the list goes on and on and on and hummmm, b-a-c-o-n(drool)

The Simpsons episode where Lisa desides to be a vege...and the pig getting lost during the BBQ...funny episode bigdrink.gif

Radio: Come in Officer Labeef do you read me?

Radio: Chuck will you stop fooling around?

Sheriff: Years ago I saw five cows mutilated. Legs sticking up in the air. Their ah their ah testicles were gone. I think Canadian bacon is better myself. I've never seen the like of that.

Radio: I have the stats on that car Officer Labeef.

Radio: Ten-forty Baker

Sheriff: What could have done that to him? Gasoline? Napalm?

Agent Rogersz: It happens sometimes. People just explode. Natural causes.