Zion

epb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunetly, I'm not going to be heading there till end of may early june. However, if you'll still be around then...let me know. I'm not really that familar with the area. I want to rope solo a few of the easier walls, but would also like to push myself...but need a partner to do so. I was there last spring (not climbing) and it didn't seem like there was a central local for climbers to hook up (campground or board).

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: epb ]

Indian Creek is very cool, and there's tons of other stuff in the Moab area too, obviously. The Big Bend Boulders are a major kick in the pants. The nice thing about IC is that there's water there, which is unusual in that area.

In the town of Moab there are 2 climbing shops but when I was down there I met climbers at the coffee shop in the middle of town, on the north side of the main drag, in a kind of strip mall. I was sent there by someone who worked in one of those 2 shops. It's been a few years and I was solo (dad was doing that sissy mt. bike thing and I tagged along) but I'm sure it's all still there.

Will's got the good beta. There's also a couple good coffee shops in Springdale, Dirty Ass Campground like Will said, and check for dude's racking up or chillin in the official Zion campground parking lot. We met a wierd ass dude from Boulder who was soloin' shit and looking for partners there last time. My guess is that there won't be LOTS of climbers there that time of year... too fuckin hot.

sissy mountain biking thing? Good gravy Allison. Every time I see hardcore bikers cruising into a parking lot they always seem to have blood streaming from somewhere that doesn't look fun. I like watching those "sissies" take huge jumps that you just know they haven't a prayer in the world of landing, and sure enough gravity comes crashing up to meet them. M-bikers seem to go through an decent amount of suffering with plenty of bent rims and red badges to show for it. Maybe your Dad was a sissie though. No offense intended. Honest.

just go and you will find the people..anyways if you do or if anyone goes to moab. do not i repeat do not go to the climb moab store that old man theres an idiot...the store looked like it was going down because the competion in town i think its called peagen mountaineering... has way cooler staff. anyways my best advice is never buy or go to climb moab. [hell no]

Oh, MN, you won't catch me dead doing any of that sissy mountain biking stuff. That's SCARY!

BTW it was so great to get together at the end of each day w/my dad and swap stories of our death-defying adventues. We both tried really hard to get the other to try out our respective sports but we were both too chicken. THAT's what I seek in a good parent/child relationship. Plus he did all the driving. grin.gif" border="0

I may be around Zion the first couple of weeks of April, if the valley weather is poor. I would be interested in climbing some moderate classic walls if anyone is interested.

Yea that MisticNocho guy is a little Dwyner. I just got back from climbing at smith with him, whow what a silly guy. He got cold belaying frown.gif" border="0 What did you expect from smith aid climbing?

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Yungaburra ]

Why all the angst man? What did the old codger say to you? How old are we talkin here? I remember one local guide who worked in the shop at one time, he was maybe 40 and a bit of a prick, but I'm a pretty big asshole myself, so who am I to judge. That place always gave me great beta including where to seek out good FAs, had good deals for the most part, and again the equipment they were manufacturing was the best bang-for-the-buck gear I've seen. 7000ci burly haulbags with nice suspension and features for like $150. They were about to market some portledges too before they went TU. From what I've heard (hearsay no doubt) but from a reasonably knowledgeable source (business owner in the area), they had some accounting issues. Those guys were supposed to be the number one volume leader in cam sales of any individual store, so I'd say they had to be doing ok. Shame IMO, ClimbMax/Pagan has been good to me too, but I hate to see these guys bite the bullet.