Emmons Route

eternalX

Looks like a couple of us are going to climb the Emmons route this weekend, but i have a question. One of the guys is on the fence right now on whether or not he will try to get past Shurman. If he doesn't plan on going past Shurman, does he need an axe or crampons? I think there is some glacier travel on the way to shurman, but i left my "selected climbs..." book at home. This is all happening last minute so if you con respond, thanks.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you asked, yes on the ice axe and pons as well as a helmet and harness. There's a glacier that prolly has some creavases open right now that you ascend to get to Sherman. There is busted up glacier all around Sherman so it's not a bad idea to have that stuff even if that 's the only destination anyway.

have fun!

You can get to camp schurman without touching snow. After you leave glacier basin, cross the stream and follow a trail up to the ridgeline. Once on the ridgeline there iis a trail that goes over mount ruth and continues towards steamboat prow. Just before the top it traverses along the left side and heads down to camp schurman. It's basically a steep nasty dirt pile. It could be tricky for someone with less scrambling experience. I was glad to have the trekking poles to keep me balanced. On the way of out of schurman and down to glacier basin, the snow is much much easier then then going over mount ruth. It was late morning so we didn't use crampons but did use an ice axe. The crevass are open on both the emmons and inter glacier. There was an easy trail to follow on both glaciers this past weekend.

Chris