Potrero Chico 2002

texplorer

Since we don't have a section for trip reports and if we did it probably wouldn't have a section for Mexico so .. . .here it is.

While it was precipitating up in the lovely NW I was down at Potrero Chico, Mexico for a month enjoying warm dry weather, Corona's and yes Mr. Strickland even a little mexican swag.

A good time is to be had by all there. I was there for a month and saw not one piece of gear. Yes, I climbed with snotty crankin girls in spagetti stapped tops, pulled off watermelon sized pieces of limestone on myself and others, and enjoyed a nice case of Montezuma's revenge. Yes, we actually had to wait out the middle of the day because it was just too hot to climb. I tell you it's tough being a sport climber. Hauling all those quickdraws maybe 15 minutes up to climb or sometimes even further. Sometimes I just can't take the fear that overcomes me when my feet are at my last bolt. ah the humanity of runouts!!!!

The sites and fun don't end there however! No, No, you can visit nearby Monterrey of 5 million people and no pollution controls. It feels just like your favorite smoky bar complete with choking air and lots of shady looking people at every corner.

I had great time but I hear July and August are the best times to go. Supposed to be no climbers there at that time for some reason. huh go figure. Anyway good to be back in the US even if it is Texas for now.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by texplorer:
While it was precipitating up in the lovely NW I was down at Potrero Chico, Mexico for a month enjoying warm dry weather, Corona's and yes Mr. Strickland even a little mexican swag.

and enjoyed a nice case of Montezuma's revenge. .

I see how it is Tex, won't smoke my herb, but smokin on some Mexi browns. I'm hurt man. I bet you and Dru would get along tongue.gif" border="0 but the real quection is did you do that route on your all time tick list...spaceboyz or somethin like that (that's the one right?)?

Sadly Will I did get that route. It shouldn't have been on my all time tick list but it was fun. Spaceboyz, Snot Girlz, Yankee Clipper, and Black Cat Bone are all fun multi-pitch sport routes there at Potrero. Several are more than 10 pitches and all you need is 15 quickdraws. An interesting type of climbing though. Rockfall is a major concern there as I learned.

Are you sure that you are on communicating on the right site... This is a climbers site, hence the name "Cascade Climbers," not lets brag about some swag cheeba and bolted Mexican sidewalk route. Try some nice alpine routes that require free thought and a job that does not force you to live vicariously through the acolades of Wil. Take care, and maybe some day you will see what climbing is really all about...

So hey Rudder, you sound a little grumpy--plummeting stock options gotcha down? mad.gif" border="0

Can you give us some beta about all those Cascade alpine routes in Silicon Valley? [Wazzup]

Is it true that "Kissing Larry Ellison's Ass Crack" is one of those tough Bay Area cascade alpine routes that you've done? [Moon]

Hang in there little buddy! [laf]

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: Ruprechkt ]

Since I have only minimal experience in the cascades (Rainier via headwall, and Jefferson, Or) I am inclined to watch the beta with a disconcerted eye, however, when climbers yap more about drugs, boozing, and yes, bigotry. I wonder if that person is merely going through the motions by pretending to have climbed something (only armed with quick draws), or merely demonstarting a lack of character and skill. Anyhow, since my stocks are in the gutter, shoulder in a sling, panties in a bunch, research overbearing, the only hope for me is a dash up The Widow's Tears (300m, V 5)in Yosemite, or the less daring Castle Crags...

Hey Buttrudder, are you sure that you are on communicating on the right site? This is a Cascade climbers site, hence the name "Cascade Climbers." So why are you living vicariously on the Cascade climbers site and bragging about dashing up some route in the valley? Take care, and maybe some day you will see what climbing is really all about instead of merely going through the motions by pretending to have climbed something, thereby demonstarting your lack of character and skill? [Moon][laf]

Hey Rudders,

You should not open your californian infidel mouth about things which you do not know. Now I don't know what kind of climber you are. You could be a .14 cranker or a 5.8 trad guy who looks down upon anyone who clips because obviously you have more skills. Yes, Potrero is about clipping bolts. I personally am not about clipping bolts but I can tell you one thing. In a month or so I will be a strong mother pulling some hard routes at the Creek and yes Yosemite! That's right loser I love trad but I actually felt my fingers while climbing this winter. . .did you fingers go numb or did you even climb at all? [Wazzup]