bag, tent, pro for sale...

Thrashador

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crackbolter said:

What kind of setup are you gonna get? Trout or Steelhead?

I am going to upgrade one day for the winston 6 peice so I can pack it on alpine climbs

Trout. I've got a 4 piece so far and am borrowing a reel. Will need to get my own before too long. Any suggestions in terms of bang for buck??? smile.gif

I use a Sage 4 piece DS2 8'6" 5 weight with an Okuma reel. I think this is the best good quality cheap gear. The reel is about $60 at the most. The rod is more like $250. Don't skimp out on fly line. Make sure to spend at least $45 for a good fly line. It is the only thing that doesn't last a lifetime. You will want to replace it like every 10 years at the least.

If you can afford it, look for a 5 or 6 piece rod made by Winston , Sage , St Croix or Powell . That way you can pack the rod rolled up in the ridgerest rather than carrying a heavy tube. The best lightweight reel is the Waterworks reel. I think I am going to buy this outfit next year. The whole package will weigh less than 7 ounces. Flies weight nothing. Tippet weighs one ounce per spool. You only need 4 spools at the most.