squamish link ups

daler

I know about the normal hardman linkups done by sig isac(sp) and such.

But wanted to find out what others have done.

Couple of fellas I know on Sunday linked the grand via cruel shoes and the chimneys-rock on/squamish buttress to angels crest to deidre. and they were enjoying cold ones by 5pm.

I've linked the grand via cruel shoes to rock on to deidre to st. vitus dance to the smoke bluff conection.

What other moderate link up have you done.

dale

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 friends did angels crest squamish buttress and 12 pitches at the smoke bluffs in a day when training for alpine routes; i think doing the crest, buttress and ultimate everything would also be good.

i have always wanted to link up st vitus, snake, diedre, sparrow and banana peel in a day but the partners have rebelled after 3 routes frown.gif

in terms of alpine linkups the way people are blazing on El Cap I am more than a bit surprised there have been no link ups of east side Slesse routes. peter croft did N rib and NE buttress in 3 hours each but I don't believe it was on the same day.... of course its a long trip from the summit back to the base without a paraglider cry.gif

I think Rock On to The Ultimate Everything would be a good link-up. Linked Calculus Crack to Memorial Crack to the UE last summer. Something like 17 pitches with the hardest one as the last one, that traversing pitch on Ultimate Everything. Good thing I had some rope guns with me that day. cool.gif

No offense to many of the posters so far but I do not think one can describe things like Rock On to Squamish Buttress or Borderline to Angels Crest as a proper "link up" of multiple routes since they are a start and finish to a complete route. Squamish Buttress or Ult Everything in particular HAVE to be started by something on the Apron to get up there so by your definition every ascent of them would be a link up? boxing_smiley.gif

Now for some linking quality, all four gully routes (South-South, South, North and North-North) in a day would be good rolleyes.gif Or Crap Crags to Echelon to Caramba Crags

I called it a "hook up" not a "link up" boxing_smiley.gif Think of it as thread drift.

Can you answer my question? Have you done that method of ascending the Chief?

And btw, if you were a real weeny, you could do Sq. Butt or UE by first walking up the Broadway Ledges descent.

Dru said:

No offense to many of the posters so far but I do not think one can describe things like Rock On to Squamish Buttress or Borderline to Angels Crest as a proper "link up" of multiple routes since they are a start and finish to a complete route. Squamish Buttress or Ult Everything in particular HAVE to be started by something on the Apron to get up there so by your definition every ascent of them would be a link up? boxing_smiley.gif

Now for some linking quality, all four gully routes (South-South, South, North and North-North) in a day would be good rolleyes.gif Or Crap Crags to Echelon to Caramba Crags

I suppose your right Dru, but if the Apron is really crowded it could be just as fast to hike up to Broadway ledge and bypass that part to get to either the "hook up" with Ulitimate Everything or the Butress... rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I've done Borderline to Angel's Crest. In fact, I've done it twice. I highly recommend it. It goes at either 11c or 10d depending on which variation you take on Pitch 2. Don't let P 5 scare you. It's a great pitch, bouldery gym moves, off-widths, and hard slab, something for everyone to hate! If you want more beta, let me know.

Susan

susan said:

Yeah, I've done Borderline to Angel's Crest. In fact, I've done it twice. I highly recommend it. It goes at either 11c or 10d depending on which variation you take on Pitch 2. Don't let P 5 scare you. It's a great pitch, bouldery gym moves, off-widths, and hard slab, something for everyone to hate! If you want more beta, let me know.

Susan

Susan, you lurker you. Congrats on finally making your first post. bigdrink.gif I posted this thread just after we climbed it back in 2001. That was a good time.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=60807&Forum=All_Forums&Words=borderline&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=60807&Search=true#Post60807

It really is a great line. Don't miss it. thumbs_up.gif