Ice Tool Leashes

Coopah

I know it comes down to what feels comfortable for me but I would like to get others opinions of what style of leash to get and why. The two styles I am looking at are the BD Robo and the android. Anybody out there have experience with either or both and willing to pass on pros and cons of each?

Thanks Coopah

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever leash you select, I'd recommend making sure you can easily get in and out of it, even when the leash is iced over. I bought a pair of BD leashes (I think it was the Lockdown model) that were useless when iced over, because it was too much of a struggle to get in/out of them. Made it hard to place or clean screws, when climbing here in the Cascades. Bought a pair of Slider leashes instead, and they are much better.

Just my $0.02 about leashes.

I have become a fan of the BD Lockdown. They are simple and effective. At first I had a hard time with them, and I had one of the detachable leashes. I do still like the detachable leashes, but after I got used to the BD Lockdown, it wins hands down. cool.gif

It is very simple and once you get it down, it is easy to work with, you can get it off and on very easily. It is very secure feeling too, and cheap.

I can't imagine how these would be anymore useless than anyo other model when iced over. I have used the slider model and found it WAY more difficult to get on and of than the Lockdown. wazzup.gif

2 cents

BD Lockdown

ncascademtns said:

Coopah said:

I know it comes down to what feels comfortable for me but I would like to get others opinions of what style of leash to get and why.

Thanks Coopah

Don't be cheap, buy one with a leash already attached. yellaf.gif

What your off brand set? boxing_smiley.gif What would you know anyways since you like to scramble.. tongue.gif

Edited by Coopah

Leashes are aid!

That said, I have limited experience with the Android and like it, except it is hard to grab the top of a tool because the leash is fastened down to the shaft. I find it very comfortable.

The Lockdown leash I have a little more experience with, and the one problem I have with it is that you can't get out of it with a tool that is placed high.

Coopah said:

I know it comes down to what feels comfortable for me but I would like to get others opinions of what style of leash to get and why. The two styles I am looking at are the BD Robo and the android. Anybody out there have experience with either or both and willing to pass on pros and cons of each?

Thanks Coopah

Easy G. wave.gif

glassgowkiss said:

lawgoddess- did you get hit by accident by a chunk of ice last season? or is the prozak not working wave.gif?

Andreoid leashes- anything else would be uncivilized...even for alpine

wazzup.gif i'm not taking any fucked up medications, thank you. i just did most of my ice climbing (which isn't much) leashless ... and so tend to find leashes rather annoying.

Lockdowns are the only way to travel. I was battling my BD twist leashes on the N. Face of Athabasca last week and finally resorted to whipin' out my knife mid-pitch and cutting the shaft loop from around each tool. My rubber shafted Black Prophets were gripping the wet leashes and keeping me from getting a proper grip on my tools. My partner uses lockdowns and I've been wanting them for a while. Very secure and versatile. thumbs_up.gif

Yates makes a few leashes. They're very well thought out, well made, and have no stupid oversights. I like the M9 handcuffs which come in both right and left handed forms (some manufacturers only make leashes with one-handedness). Yates has also just introduced detachable M9 hand cuffs which would be a good match for steep ice tools --even leashless styles.

http://www.yatesgear.com/

When there is such a thing as Android leashes why use any other leash or go leashless for that matter. I think leashless tools will be a fad just like it was in NE at one point in the late 70's or 80's. Oh and BTW whoever said climbing with leashes is aid is wrong, climbing with ice axes is aid and who gives a crap of whether it is aid or not, it is fun, thats what really matters.

When there is icing using Androids it is simple you clip, unclip, flick clip-in point and clip. Hmm, what 5 seconds at the most.

ken4ord said:

Dru said:

androids were responsible for a party of 3 climbers on robson last year finishing the route with only 4 tools between them thumbs_down.gif

Was it the leashes or the people using them that were responsible for dropping their tools? rolleyes.gif

yeah, Blanchard, Pellet and Dumerac what a bunch of gumbies yellaf.gif