Intermediate climbing from The Mountaineers

Alex_Mineev

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mtngrrrl said:

Gary said: 3) why make Basics shell out an additional $100 in gear?

Puh-leez! If they WANT to wear rock shoes, let them! If they want to wear boots, let them! Here again is that "independent thought" theme.

I agree with Crackbolter, if newbie climbers are gripped and terrified on their first ROCK climb, they will probably benefit from wearing rock shoes, and maybe they'll have a more enjoyable time. Hey, they can always rent them instead of purchasing. Furthermore, I bet a lot of us bought whatever sale shoe we could afford when we started climbing. And some of us probably still adhere to that approach. yellaf.gif

I looked at the Basic Course docs, and I can't find any statement *prohibiting* rockshoes. I only found a clause that said, "You do not need rock shoes for the Basic Class."

And yes, having the required amount of gear be as little/cheap as possible is a good thing, as far as course recruitment is concerned.

But I do recall hearing a climb leader complain that one of his rope leads insisted on wearing rock shoes for a Basic climb, and he thought that if the Basics have to do it in boots, he should too.

Sphinx said:

And this is why Mounties wear plastics on Si? To 'practice'? rolleyes.gif

What a load of bullshit. The Mounties do not advocate hiking up Si in plastics. They do define as being in shape enough for the course as being able to hike up Mt. Si with a full daypack in 2:15.

The Mounties also insist in their course docs, "Plastic boots are great for glacier climbs, but not suitable as your only climbing footwear. "

A good climb leader for the Mounties will recommend students *not* to wear plastics on climbs like Eldorado.

Gary_Yngve said:

Sphinx said:

And this is why Mounties wear plastics on Si? To 'practice'? rolleyes.gif

What a load of bullshit. The Mounties do not advocate hiking up Si in plastics. They do define as being in shape enough for the course as being able to hike up Mt. Si with a full daypack in 2:15.

The Mounties also insist in their course docs, "Plastic boots are great for glacier climbs, but not suitable as your only climbing footwear. "

A good climb leader for the Mounties will recommend students *not* to wear plastics on climbs like Eldorado.

This thread just sucks by now. Do what you want. yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

BTW, GY, trolling you is so easy that it's boring. yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I only seem to post info for Boealps... Oh well. The Boealps intermediate is a very personal affair. They focus on experience climbs with very experienced instructors as opposed to a "lemming" type environment with 12 climbers following one leader. The class size is very small, usually fewer than 20 people for the year. Climbs usually have no more than 3 students per instructor and are often one-on-one with the instructors. There is no formal test for entry, you just have to convince your instructors that you have a clue. check out http://boealps.org/intermed.html for more info.

I.....must......not......spray......in........newbie.......section.....or.......CBS.....will.......PM........me.........again.........

Oh, shit, I'm a failure. Sure, I've seen smiles when I've encountered Mountie groups. They're usually flashed behind the backs or out of sight of the leaders, who always seem to be scowling over the fact that another group has dared to use the same trail or glacier as them.

Lord help you if you point out that root on The Tooth they're all anchored to is brittle and dead. Nobody smiles then.....

Alex I have not read 95 percent of the replies here so I may be re-iterating some items or subjects.

In a nutshell fuck the mutineers and find a friend to climb with.

Well, some posts about post-coital rage somewhere in the middle are funny cantfocus.gif

You are right - finding the right partner is the key openning most of the doors. The problem is to find this key smirk.gif

I did not take Thinker's post as good-natured humor. My previous post had been an attempt to correct some misinformation concerning the Mountaineers. Fenderfour was either intentionally (as a troll) or unintentionally confusing Basic Climbs with Intermediate Climbs.

I regard PM's as confidences (even though the site managers can access them). To be mocked with my own PM is something I consider dishonorable, not playful. I have received all sorts of PMs, many of which I would love to share with the rest of you, but I do not out of respect for the sender (especially trask).

Eric8, you can verify for yourself that it is rare for me to go off on someone. Your comment is specious on its face.

I did not take Thinker's post as good-natured humor. My previous post had been an attempt to correct some misinformation concerning the Mountaineers. Fenderfour was either intentionally (as a troll) or unintentionally confusing Basic Climbs with Intermediate Climbs.

I regard PM's as confidences (even though the site managers can access them). To be mocked with my own PM is something I consider dishonorable, not playful. I have received all sorts of PMs, many of which I would love to share with the rest of you, but I do not out of respect for the sender (especially trask).

Eric8, you can verify for yourself that it is rare for me to go off on someone. Your comment is specious on its face.

CBS, I did not divulge or post the content of your PM, only the fact that you sent me one. That's no more that what you've done in your post above by revealing that you and Trask have corresponded via PMs.

It's clear that poking fun at the Mounties strikes a raw nerve in you and generates some .......interesting...... responses. But Mountie poking is a time honored tradition here, one that won't go away no matter how many times you try to point out how unjustified it is in your opinion.

Do cc.comers lump all the branches of the Mountaineers together in one big stereotype? Sure they do! Are there differences? Probably. Is anyone here really going to listen to your points about the differences? I'm sure the few who are earnestly seeking to discover the differences can read between the lines and see the subtle differences.

Is it wrong to lump the basic and intermediate classes together? Maybe, maybe not. I'm sure the overall philosophies regarding risk management and group dynamics are similar, if not the same. Most here probably don't make the distinction.

After 5 pages of discussing the issue inside and out, with good points made on each side, I find it odd that you choose to get so bent out of shape now.

My post above was clearly spray, and intended to be humorous. We all know how seriously you take this issue. So, if I pushed your buttons at the wrong time, I apologize. But get over it....it's just a bunch of words on the internet. If you really allow this to carry over into real life, i.e. calling names at pub club, you probably have some larger issues that need to be dealt with.