Montrail Excelerace

dryad

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair of Salomon Pro Sticky Mids (high-top approach shoes), and I have mixed feelings on them. I got them a shoe that I could use for approaches, easy-moderate snow, and moderate rock. For one thing, they are NOT waterproof, but if they do get wet, they dry very quickly. They don't have the support of a real boot, and at the end of an attempt on Jack Mtn, my feet were really hurting me. I think you may find this with any lightweight approach shoe unfortunately. No shank means they also don't kick steps in snow as well as a large boot.

I used them as my rock boot on the West Ridge of Forbidden (I wore my bigger boots for the approach and snow sections,) and they worked great. Going up the 3rd and 4th class section of Crater Mtn (our consolation after missing Jack), they performed very well.

Bottom line: works great as a moderate rock shoe, will get a little wet in the snow (but dries quickly), but did not work well for a long approach with a heavy pack (at least for me.)

Thanks. To further clarify, I'm looking for shoes that would work for trail hiking and rock scrambling type activities. I most likely wouldn't use them on snow, so don't need something waterproof or good for step-kicking. I love the light weight and breathability of trail runners, but I want something with ankle support, as I've been repeatedly twisting my ankle lately.

I got a pair of these to replace some older trail runners for the same reasons as you; the extra ankle support, but still in a very lightwegith package. Unfortunately I haven't been able to try them out yet, so I can't comment much on how they actually feel on a trail. tongue.gif