road bike action!!!

Fence_Sitter

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jon said:

Whether you think you are or not, you aren't in control at 45 mph.

Glad your ok though! bigdrink.gif

Get out, you can be in control of the bike at 45 mph. Most of the time when I have problem on my road bike with drivers, I think they don't realize you can move just as fast as them at times.

jon said:

pop goes the bubble of illusion. but whats your point? we pursue a sport that pushes 'control' an you coming down on him for spilling off his bike? just give the dude props for being able to walk away.

ken4ord said:

jon said:

Get out, you can be in control of the bike at 45 mph. Most of the time when I have problem on my road bike with drivers, I think they don't realize you can move just as fast as them at times.

Depends on what you mean by control. 45 mph on a road bike means you can steer it, but there's no stopping it within a reasonable amount of time if something jumps out in front of you. You're also praying to baby jesus your front tire doesn't blow hellno3d.gif

Figger_Eight said:

ken4ord said:

jon said:

Depends on what you mean by control. 45 mph on a road bike means you can steer it, but there's no stopping it within a reasonable amount of time if something jumps out in front of you. You're also praying to baby jesus your front tire doesn't blow hellno3d.gif

Sorry still have to disagree I have had cat, squirrels, people cut out in front of me and avoided an accident (the squirrel got to meet my spokes up close and personal though). I have also had front flat on a downhill descent. I'll give you this, it depends on who is on the bike. When I first started riding yeah I didn't have as much contols as I do now-a-days.

Figger_Eight said:

Actually, you need to be more worried about the back tire.

boxing_smiley.gif

shit dawgs... 45 is totally in control as long as you dont have to stop... i had to stop... i was in a quasi controlled skid leaning back really hard and was feelin a'iight until i sat back a lil harder to keep from enoing and my CF seatpost snapped... i have been riding for a long time and know my limitations... sometimes there is just nothing you can do... i think if i was driving a car, i would have been dead... there was not much margin ffor error... in fact none... i just know osmeone is looking out for me cause afterward i was searching for broken body parts before i got up and was surprised to find no serious injuries... needless to say i will be riding more cautiously in white trash land, but i feel very confident that i did the absolute best possible thing and did everything right and that a crash was inevitable... oh well... i lived, learned, and will ride again in 3 days when my new seat post comes...

Whoah, I got chills running down my spine reading that. I lived in NJ for a year and didn't get any climbing all that time, but rode a road bike for consolation, and I used to see how fast I could go down hills like you were doing. Pretty darn fast, turns out. I would not like to come off flying down the hill like that. Good thing you're OK man!

I'm up for some riding sometime btw. I need to get my bike fixed up a little bit, so can't really say anything time-wise.

That pic is some funny shittake!

My brother went out for his first ride on his new CF Calfee road bike... He was screaming down a curvy descent and the next thing he knew he was hitting a guard rail and snapping his collar bone. All in all, he was pretty lucky. It takes a few rides to get used to a new steed.

Any of you guys up for road rides again? Or are you all scared off by the thought of a digger? My De Rosa is feeling a bit left out as I've been hitting the mtn bike more often as of late.

G

Figger_Eight said:

ken4ord said:

jon said:

When living in Eugene I blew both tires after hitting a pothole at about 45 and managed not to crash. I dont recomend trying this.