asthmatics

whirlwind

is there anyone out there with this problem, i recently meet someone that wants to climb but he has asthma i don't think its an extreme case but my question is how hard on the body is climbing for those of you that may have this problem, also what would be a good way to build up stanima for this person.. bouldering or just short routes or easy stuff?in other words how hard sould i try and push em?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Asthma varies from person to person but the individual will usually be able to tell you how much they can handle and when an attack is coming on. I had asthma pretty bad as a child requiring an injection once a week. It lessened for me as I got older and I was able to run Cross Country and Track pretty successfully in college. For most people with asthma I think climbing is not too hard on them just make sure they take an inhaler like albuterol with them in case they have an attack.

One of my early climbing partners was asthmatic. My father had been his Pediatrician, and Dad could scarcely believe that his patient had even survived adolescence, much less that he was climbing mountains as an adult. He told me it was one of the worst cases of asthma he'd ever dealt with in his 35+ years of practice.

We did Mt. Edith Cavell together a few years back, when the air was thick from forest fire smoke. He had to use his puffer a bit more than usual, but he was climbing circles around me all day.

So I'd tell your friend to go for it, but to check with his physician to ensure there are no complicating factors involving his specific condition, and then just go easy until he finds out where his limits are. He may be surprised to discover how hard he can push himself.

Asthma sucks, but don’t think that you’re friend is any less capable than anyone else. I’ve had bad asthma my whole life—never go anywhere w/out my puffer; still, I’ll climb circles around most of you bitches. I’m an avid rock climber; ice climber; mountaineer, skier, and runner (I even scuba dive). If I was to listen to all the dip shit mother fucking doctors, they’d have me believe that I should “take it easy” and “take exercise in moderation.” Fuck them—the worst my asthma’s ever been was when I “took it easy”—the more I climbed and the harder I pushed myself, the better my asthma got. I’ve built up my cardiovascular system and my fitness level and I feel great. I’ve climbed all the big WA peaks numerous time—no fucking problem. FWIW, asthma is but one of two serious diseases I deal with—fuck all you pussies, I’ll still out climb you any day!

You don’t have to baby sit us asthmatics—we’ll “make sure we take our fucking inhalers.” Well ropegun fer ya fuckers any day biatch!

I've had asthma for years, and managed to keep it in check without much inconvenience. (Before I had the proper meds, there were times when it was pretty f&%$in' scarey.)

There's a (rather common) variant called "exercise-induced asthma" which gets me on cold days, but an ear band over my mouth takes care of that. Alexi Grewal the bicycle racer, had this too.

But it's not like 20 years ago, if your friend is under any sort of medical care, it shouldn't be any sort of problem.

There's a book called "Asthma and Exercise" worth looking at if further reading is desired.

I've had asthma for ~10 years and it comes and goes. Can't let it stop you from anything. Just go kick some ass and keep your stupid inhaler w/in reach and tell yer amigos that you have a condition in case you have a bad attack.

Your friend might have luck improving his conditioning for climbing by doing interval training, to better train his system for stressful and low O2 conditions. I've also had a lot of success holistically by removing dairy and wheat from my diet. I felt that the drugs were f-ing me up more, but I still keep my inhaler for emergencies.

Whirlwind - like others have said it depends on the type of asthma your friend has and how in shape he is in general. Like the Lawgod, I've found that the better shape I am in the better my asthma is managed. Also, if he knows what his triggers (cold air, pollution, weather changes, stress, allergens, etc.) are then it will help a lot to know if it may be a problem on a particular day or climb.

Also, unless his asthma is severe, don't banish him to the ground if he forgets his inhaler one time. It may just mean that he needs a little rest at the belay to catch his breath. If he has an attack make sure to help him stay calm and focus on exhalation, not getting more air in, that takes care of itself if you get enough air out. It's manageable and no reason not to climb.

I got it pretty bad but it doesn't stop me from doing whatever I want - although its a good thing I dont want to be a smoke-jumper.

I can climb whatever mountains I want as many times as I want - I just go a little slower than most, thats all.

I've climbed Mt R eight times. That isn't chest-beating, btw, I dont expect to impress anyone on cc.com with my climbing resume'. But that I've climbed the Big Kahuna eight times might impress your non-climbing asthmatic friend. Not bad for a guy that cant breathe wink.gif.

I dont climb circles around nobody but thats no problem. I just go and my friends know I ain't the fastest hiker in the hills.

thelawgod said:

You don’t have to baby sit us asthmatics—we’ll “make sure we take our fucking inhalers.” Well ropegun fer ya fuckers any day biatch!

this wasn't about baby sittin, the fact is i'm not sure how active the person is and i know that they have never climbed before. i just didn't want to get in a situation where "WE" had to be rescued off a fricin mountain thats all...

and i aperciate all the info from everyone

thanks

fruit.gif

I'd begin a climbing relationship with this person slowly, like after work hike Tiger Mtn or climb at Exit 38 or something. I'd be encouraging even if they have trouble.

But you can bet I wouldnt start out with a climb up Mt R! (I'm sure you wouldnt do that) A few years ago an asthmatic died at Emmons Flats - yikes! I dont know the details, but yeah, I heard he couldnt get air and croaked. frown.gif