Whatcha Readin?

EWolfe

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Lord of the Ring" and "Boardman-Tasker Omnibus"

Just finished "A Woman of Independent Means". Not that many of you hardmen would enjoy it, but there are a few other chicks on this board. A nice fictional read about a pretty progressive woman who lived from late 1800s to the 1960s. Told entirely through letters she wrote to other people in her life. Kinda unique style.

Dru said:

E-rock said:

it seems like every other person is reading it currently or just got done with it. It's crazy to see how things like this gain momentum.

cause most people are sheep, or trendies. boxing_smiley.gif

True, but at least they're ingesting something thought-provoking, well-written, and damaging to fuckjobs like McD's et al. Beats the fuck out of the latest John Grisham novel, damn skippy.

I prefer to think that books link a populace through their ideas and emotions. The more people who have read a particular book (say like Lord of the Rings), the more profound the unseen bond. But then again I'm just a hippy in hipster's clothing.

Well, yeah. But still, a great book nonetheless.

And ya know, the only other people that I've personally met that have read it are all in the resataurant biz, just like I was until I got a "real job". And none of them are sheep. Well okay, maybe a couple of em. But they all seem to have crippling drug, alcohol, and personal problems.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Dru said:

E-rock said:

it seems like every other person is reading it currently or just got done with it. It's crazy to see how things like this gain momentum.

True, but at least they're ingesting something thought-provoking, well-written, and damaging to fuckjobs like McD's et al.

cheeburga_ron.gifhellno3d.gif

HCL.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sometimes I write graffiti on the walls of McDonald's restrooms when I'm there (I don't eat there since reading FFN). The graffiti says:

READ "FAST FOOD NATION", AND NEVER EAT HERE AGAIN evils3d.gif

I am simul-reading two books.

I'm getting through "We Wish to Inform You That Tommorrow We Will Be Killed with Families." Its a pretty gut wrenching book about the Ruwanda genocide.

When that gets too depressing I bounce over to reading "Seabiscuit" which is a surprisingly good story.

Fence_Sitter said:

PONCHO&LEFTY said:

READ Tortilla FLats. It is an illarious read

i love this book!!!!! one of my favs!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif also a good read is the sun also rises... both great reads!

almost all the steinbeck is good. i just finished his king arthur book. too bad it ends halfway thru cause he died before he finished it.

"Atlas Shrugged", by Ayn Rand for the second time.

"Inside the Third Reich", by Albert Speer (Hitler's architect and Minister of Armaments and construction)

A book on the fall of Berlin as told from the Russian perspective (can't remember the name).

About to start "The Ninemile Wolves", forgot the author.