Whatcha Readin?

EWolfe

Biomimicry: Innovations Inspired by Nature

by Janine M. Benyus

from the back cover:

"Biomimicry is a revolutionary science that analyzes natures best ideas-spider silk and prairie grass, seashells and braincells-and adapts them for human use."

Cool book about learning from nature rather than forcing ourselves upon the natural world.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

michael_layton said:

Don Juan is made up hippy bs (ala way of the peaceful warrior).

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintence/Natural History of the Senses.

Dan Milliman rockband.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Zen an Motorcycle maintenance has way too much physics for my brain... confused.gifgrin.gif

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is TOTALLY made up hippy BS. The dude doesn't even know fuck all about motorcycles. Ed Abbey wrote a funny review of it pointing out all the mistakes in motorcycle maintenace and suggesting maybe that is why the dude is so fucked up cause he chestbeats so much about fixing a cycle he knows nothing about.

The Don Juan books are all made up BS except the first one, but they are still worth reading mushsmile.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif I got through four before I lost interest. I think there are 7 or 8 altogether?

"The Whole Shebang-A State of the Universe Report" by Timothy Ferris.

A great little book that puts the latest comological/physics theories (well, as of 1998 anyhow) into layman's terms....almost. There is some cool/weird shit in this book about the commonly accepted origins of the universe, and where it is headed.

Dru said:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is TOTALLY made up hippy BS. The dude doesn't even know fuck all about motorcycles. Ed Abbey wrote a funny review of it pointing out all the mistakes in motorcycle maintenace and suggesting maybe that is why the dude is so fucked up cause he chestbeats so much about fixing a cycle he knows nothing about.

My father is a (now retired) history prof. A buddy of his taught with Pirsig, and said that Pirsig's reason for writing that book was so make some money off these gullible kids and get out of teaching.

Just finished 'The Years of Salt and Rice' by Kim Stanley Robinson, 'Invisible Man' by H.G. Wells, 'Sword & Brush' by Dave Lowry, 'The Persistence of Vision' by John Varley, 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry, a couple of Carl Hiassen books, and started picking through a Norton Anthology of Short Fiction.

Yeah, slow field job with lots of downtime.

glacier said:

Just finished 'The Years of Salt and Rice' by Kim Stanley Robinson, 'Invisible Man' by H.G. Wells, 'Sword & Brush' by Dave Lowry, 'The Persistence of Vision' by John Varley, 'Jennifer Government' by Max Barry, a couple of Carl Hiassen books, and started picking through a Norton Anthology of Short Fiction.

Yeah, slow field job with lots of downtime.

Hope your paycheck doesn't come from our taxes....

TEACING CHARACTER THROUGH SPORT by Bruce Brown. Here's a thought-provoking quote from the book (author unknown):

PASSING THE BUCK

Said the professor, "Such rawness in a student is a shame. Lack of preparation in high school is to blame."

Said the high school teacher, "Good heavens, that boy's a fool. The fault, of course, is with the middle school."

The middle school teacher said, "From such stupidity may I be spared. They sent him to me so unprepared."

The primary teacher huffed, "Kindergarten blockheads all. They call that preparation? Why this is worse than none at all."

The kindergarten teacher said, "Such lack of training never did I see. What kind of woman must the mother be?"

The mother said, "Poor helpless child. He's not to blame. His father's folks were just the same."

Said the father at the end of the line, "I doubt the rascal's even mine."

That Krak book on the Mormons. Actually pretty fun read, and interesting too since I lived and worked there during portions of the mid to late 80's. I met some really unique folks and got to hear some interesting views.

Funny memory tho, grocery shopping in Hurricane or LaVerkin or even St George to a degree, You could tell the polys cause the men wore dark suits and the women always has the 1930's style dresses with their hair dome up in a similar period style.

What an awesome part of the country tho, the most beautiful state IMHO.

Howard Zinn's 'A People's History of the United States'. Picking it up again after losing steam/interest about a third of the way through the first time. Interesting thoughts on the evolution of what is now the two-party system, and interesting to see how politicians back in the 1800s were using red herrings and false choices even then to keep the public content and feeling like they had some power. Learning is fun; burn down the government!

"Spy on the Roof of the World" by Sydney Wignall.

Story of the Welsh Himalayan Expedition of 1955 to climb Ghurla Mandhata and spy on the Chinese buildup of troops on the border of Tibet & Nepal (of course, they were captured). The ignorance of Wygnall's Chinese communist interrogators was more than amusing:

"You lie about this Everest, this Chomolugma. If it did in fact exist, our Great Teacher, Mao, would have provided us a political directive regarding such a high mountain. The highest mountain in the world lies in China and is called Mustah Ghata."