• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Toast

How do you clean your gear?

I spent the weekend in an ice climbing clinic on the Nisqually ice field. Now my gear is all squeaky and full of silt. How do clean your locking biners?

I tried flushing out the screw gates with Orange cleaner and spraying with machine oil, but I'm thinking that's prob not so wise given the petroleum residue that could compromise the strength of rope and slings.

Got any tips on how you would clean them?

Simple Green and HOT water. If they need lubed use one of the teflon based products like Cam Lube. Feathered Friends carries it.

Toast said:

I spent the weekend in an ice climbing clinic on the Nisqually ice field. Now my gear is all squeaky and full of silt. How do clean your locking biners?

I tried flushing out the screw gates with Orange cleaner and spraying with machine oil, but I'm thinking that's prob not so wise given the petroleum residue that could compromise the strength of rope and slings.

Got any tips on how you would clean them?

Spray them with carb cleaner. That'll clean everything outta them. Then lube with whatever suits your fancy.

trask said: Spray them with carb cleaner. That'll clean everything outta them. Then lube with whatever suits your fancy.

hellno3d.gif

Trask, I didn't ask how you'd clean a used vibrator...

Toast said:

trask said: Spray them with carb cleaner. That'll clean everything outta them. Then lube with whatever suits your fancy.

hellno3d.gif

Trask, I didn't ask how you'd clean a used vibrator...

Dude, you use carb cleaner on your butt plug vibrators? Whatever, but you're a sick sumbeyotch -

I use carb cleaner on my guns when they're filthy.

JUST DONT STOP USING THEM.

AND ADD SOME METOLIOUS CAM LUBE ON OCCASION.

BD LOCKERS HAVE THE WORST SPIN MECHANISM.

If you could get your hands on an ultrasonic bath, that would be ideal. Just some water with a little detergent would clean them out.

sometimes you just gotta say fuck it and buy new gear.

ehmics suggestion of a miled degreaser simple green and hot water does work pretty good. i have used keylock lube too after cleaning. its a spray thats just a carrier and graphite. the carrier evaporates away.

I'm thinking that's prob not so wise given the petroleum residue that could compromise the strength of rope and slings.

from here

"Testing done by the AlliedSignal Corporation indicates salt water, acetone, benzene, chloroform, freon, gasoline, kerosene, motor oil, mineral oil, paints and pine oil do not appreciably affect nylon and should not damage your rope.

Laboratory tests performed have shown no appreciable damage done to nylon fibers by contact with insect repellents containing DEET (Test #0559). "

E-rock said:

I WHIPPED several times on my white gas soaked rope in Yosemite. It worked.

there is proof for the addage 'only one way to find out' rockband.gifbigdrink.gif

E-rock said:

I WHIPPED several times on my white gas soaked rope in Yosemite. It worked.

Did I not tell you that your gasoline soaked rope was okay to use for climbing? Chemists know about these things. Say, how about giving me a job?

Kevin_Ristau said:

Eventually, the rains will come.

its raining men... halileuja its rainin men! mabe that is a bit morbid... eh well evils3d.gif

Kevin_Ristau said:

And I suppose you know what you're talking about.

E-rock said:

Kevin_Ristau said:

And I suppose you know what you're talking about.

Well, shit; statistically it's gotta rain sometime, and in the PacNW, it's really just a matter of time.

Lookin' wet!