Ropeup Oct 10-11-12

Beck

Matt,

I agree that Beck has put effort into this thing, but he has sought very little if any input outside the small handfull of folks organizing Beckfest. Also he has and continues to show a hostile attitude about compromise.

I never said Rope Up was my thing, but I think I come a lot closer to the mark when it comes to what the general expectations were for Rope Up.

Also, when I say the local AAC is lame, I'm just expressing the opinion of quite a number of people (some long time local climbers). If they want to try and get their act together then good for them, but doing it by riding on cc's coattails is pathetic.

It's really too bad there wasn't more review of Rope Up plans. Especially before Beck made commitments. However that doesn't mean some of us are just going to roll over.

Piss away boxing_smiley.gifthe_finger.gifwave.gif

unbesmirched snaf.gif

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

snoboy said:

Well if you read some of Beck's PMs you might have a different opinion of who the moron was...

Clarification: on this issue MaryLou isn't being a moron, I was saying she SOUNDS like a moron. IMO, Beck is being the dickhead here.

AlpineK said:

I agree that Beck has put effort into this thing, but he has sought very little if any input outside the small handfull of folks organizing Beckfest. Also he has and continues to show a hostile attitude about compromise.

I never said Rope Up was my thing, but I think I come a lot closer to the mark when it comes to what the general expectations were for Rope Up.

Also, when I say the local AAC is lame, I'm just expressing the opinion of quite a number of people (some long time local climbers). If they want to try and get their act together then good for them, but doing it by riding on cc's coattails is pathetic.

It's really too bad there wasn't more review of Rope Up plans. Especially before Beck made commitments. However that doesn't mean some of us are just going to roll over.

I agree with absolutely everything you wrote there, Kurt. My only disagreement is on where I think you want to go from here. It looks to me like those who don't like BeckFest want to shoot it down out of a sense that they're fighting for truth, justice, and the American way. I say let's look ahead and consider the alterntives: Will cc.com benefit if we pull the rug out from under Beck? Will you? You may want to see about getting Jon and Tim to tell him that he is off the planning committee for any future events, but if he has to call up vendors and back out of commitments now, who benefits from that? Exactly what "compromise" could we make that would retain the original flavor of ropeup?

Everybody should remember the general flavor of this board as they prepare for their evening meditations. Then again, that would blow the hell out of anybody's schakra. That's the point, no matter what you do on this board, someone is going to flame you. Wether or not you flame them back or do so with finesse is your own pool of vomit. Here is my vomit; it seems to me that those who want to set rules for "what the ropeup is and is not" are supporting the institutionalization of the event they say is a free for all. If there are "rules" for what it is supposed to be, and rules for how it should proceed, then you could create a coporate charter and make it absolutley official. Or you could live your own wine and just do it your own way somewhere else or at some other time. You are free people. You live in the richest nation in the world and have time and resources to spend on PURE UNADULTERATED FUN and you still wine. As my daddy used to say; "There are children in Africa who don't have anything to eat".

I don't care who you are or what you think. I am going to have fun at the kids ropeup and at the Full Moon ropeup. Why not have a separate event called the Dopeup Ropeup and "Have it your way............". I would love to go to that one too.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifrockband.gifwave.gif

This seemed to go unnoticed before, so I'll bring it up again.

Didn't I hear that Beck got a $5,000 dontation for this event from the City of Seattle, from the honorable Mr. Nickels himself? Did I hear it was being spent on a computer?

That seems a bit odd to me, given that this event is all about getting together outside and climbing and partying. I certainly hope the majority of the $5,000 will be donated to the Access Fund in the name of the City and the Cascade Climbers Ropeup.

What's the REAL scoop, Beck?

Given that it's still a few months before the actual event, I don't think it's too late for Beck to change his plans, cancel some of the planned events and so on, and take this event back to thew dirtbag event that the poll shows the majority of respondents to date would like to see.

It must suck to find out that you are organizing something that the people you are organizing it for, don't apparently want. There seeems to be a moral there about consulting first. bigdrink.gif

dru, it doesn't suck.

it's more like a reflection off a pond at night, a bucket full of water, overflowing in the rain.

and the grant was for my newspaper i am editor of, not ropeup, "avatar"

and planning for ropeup continues daily. alpinek and anyone else who wants to submit some input- i think it will be under discussion at tonights pub club-

chucK said:

Hey Dru,

About that contingent of Canadians that are coming down to the Icicle, and that kegger that you have invitied disenfranchised ropeuppers to. I think it sounds lame and you should change it.

I didn't invite anyone, Fern did yellaf.gif

And I dont think we are organized enough to bring a keg. Maybe TG will show up with a TG keg laugh.gifbigdrink.gif

My_xxxth_Avatar said:

This seemed to go unnoticed before, so I'll bring it up again.

Didn't I hear that Beck got a $5,000 dontation for this event from the City of Seattle, from the honorable Mr. Nickels himself? Did I hear it was being spent on a computer?

That seems a bit odd to me, given that this event is all about getting together outside and climbing and partying. I certainly hope the majority of the $5,000 will be donated to the Access Fund in the name of the City and the Cascade Climbers Ropeup.

What's the REAL scoop, Beck?

I was misinformed, according to a PM from Beck. The grant was to a local merchants association to buy new computer and software to edit and layout a newspaper Beck edits, not the for ropeup.

Thanks for clarifying the issue.

Dru said:

Beck I was thinking it sucks like when you buy a nice birthday present for a friend and they say "Dude WTF why did you get me this?" confused.gif

That's why Dru said to me last winter, " I have peresent x and present y, which one would you like for your b-day?"

for real cool.gif

Dru said:

Given that it's still a few months before the actual event, I don't think it's too late for Beck to change his plans, cancel some of the planned events and so on, and take this event back to thew dirtbag event that the poll shows the majority of respondents to date would like to see.

It must suck to find out that you are organizing something that the people you are organizing it for, don't apparently want. There seeems to be a moral there about consulting first. bigdrink.gif

If you gather all the data on how the poll was conducted there is a formula for predicting the accuracy of the poll. Of course, you need data on previous events of a similar nature and demographics. If you have not done that, your poll is nothing more than an unlit fart. I did not take the poll seriously and did not participate. If you read the entire pathetic thread, (I love pathetic threads, you get to the meat of human existence), how many of those who will show up have participated in the poll? Wait a minute, that would require a count of participants at a future event. Bummer dude. That blows your whole idea of a poll. You polled the lynch mob. I coulda told you what that would tell you.

Isn't this whole thread really about using the name "Rope-up"? Who cares if Joe Orginizer throws a party in a FS campground? Are you guys bunchin your panties for all the other groups that have events there? I must have missed those threads.

Don't go. Do your own thing. Call it "THE Rope-up". Be drunk and stoned and unruly. And please invite me. I like those too. bigdrink.gif

It's "the majority of respondents to date"

I don't see a whole bunch of people voting for the fully organized Beck fest yet. Maybe they will later on when Beck gets some different IP's together for his avatars tongue.gif

It's a straw poll. Also anonymous so people feel free to vote how they really think not how the peer group at some Pub Club thinks. fruit.gif

I fail to see how organized events are going to detract from anyone's enjoyment of rope up. If you don't like the events, then don't go to them. It's that simple.

Next year, it may behoove us to select an official organizing committee to make sure things stay disorganized if that's what the majority wants. It's not clear to me that those in the "high post count" group actually represent the majority of rope up attendees. There needs to be a poll taken at the event this year.

Dru said:

It's "the majority of respondents to date"

I don't see a whole bunch of people voting for the fully organized Beck fest yet. Maybe they will later on when Beck gets some different IP's together for his avatars tongue.gif

It's a straw poll. Also anonymous so people feel free to vote how they really think not how the peer group at some Pub Club thinks. fruit.gif

Righto. "Straw" it is. Water my beer if I'm wrong, but I think there will be some fun had at the Full Moon Ropeup.

I hope you enjoy yourself wherever you are.

bigdrink.gif

catbirdseat said:

It's not clear to me that those in the "high post count" group actually represent the majority of rope up attendees.

well thanks for reserving your opinion there mr. 2000 posts by this evening! tongue.gif

I think that some of the terms used here are getting blown out of porportion. There are not going to be climbing events, all events that I am aware of are either presentations or freebies.

Presentation = Slide show, demo/clinic something like that.

Freebies = Free BEER, Free Gear, Free Camping, Free Food.

there are no "events" scheduled during the day, that I am aware of. The sponsorships consist of gear, food, beer.

As far as the "fostering stewardship of the vertical environment," why can't we show that we actually care for the places we like to spend our recreation time? Clean a little bit, maybe help out with some trail maintenance?

I'm still pretty sure that it will be a fun party, as far as being "Becks Party" I think that's a little silly, I for one plan on going, drinking lot's of free beer, maybe getting some free shit, eating some food and hopefully avoiding the fire pits...

Edited by hikerwa

What about the free beer?

And isn't there going to be a puppy-toss? How 'bout a Jerry Sanchez kicking contest, or a midnight speed climbing competition on Castle Rock? No boulder racing from the top of Snow Creek Wall?