Ropeup Oct 10-11-12

Beck

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erik said:

matt

last year we just snagged that site, there was no paying for it.

i thought this was a cc.com party for everyone to get together and have fun. some people may need the feeling of addiontial hoopla and some may not.

i think that if it is a cc.com party then all of cc.com should have a say in what they think. no point in jumping on beck or blaming others.

this is supposed to be for fun and now it just sounds like a bunch of winers on ALL sides.

i personally think claiming corp sponsership or attempting to have clinics is a bit much. the party is for fun!!! not regulation or commericalism.

this site is about being loud and voicing what you think or believe, we all share one common thing and that is climbing.....

i heard that mr e posted a poll you could vote on

option 1: I want Rope Up to be a dirtbag grassroots party with TG beer and minimal organization

option 2: I want Rope Up to be a fully organized party with clinics and raffles (rafflehounds?) and top rope setups and pancake breakfasts and Pyramid beer and the timetable planned in 15 minute increments all 3 days.

but it (the poll) was deleted by a moderator? shocked.gif

Remember Apple Blossom and the Hydro Races in the 60s and 70s. FUCKING PARRRRRRTY!!!!!!!!!! Look at them now, with their beer gardens, Five-O monitoring everyone's every move, pussy events and corporate sponsorship. They're fucking ruined. Just a thought to chew on, boys.

I'm with you on most of what you said, Erik. All the disenfranchised can get together and tell stories about Beck behind his back and drink way too much beer and go out and climb some good routes while we're at it. We can call it "bitchfest..." and think of ourselves as righteous outlaws who stood up to the man. It'll be fun. But we don't have to shoot down Beck in order to do that.

Beck said:

Participate in the trail project, gear swap, or campfire tales.

Events planned for this fun filled event include: free rock shoe demos, beginning climber toprope/mini instructional clinics, trail project, Saturday afternoon potluck, raffle to benefit the Access Fund and the American Alpine Journal, slide presentations and safety demonstrations, a pancake breakfast Sunday, and free gear giveaways.

I shy away from ANY "fun filled events". I don't like fairs. I don't support the Access Fund, nor the AAJ. I don't want crags to be taken over by topropes for gumbies. I can do without 'safety demonstrations'. I already know how to tie a prussik.

I like the idea of climbing by day, partying by night. Too much organization = less fun.

mattp said:

I'm with you on most of what you said, Erik. All the disenfranchised can get together and tell stories about Beck behind his back and drink way too much beer and go out and climb some good routes while we're at it. We can call it "bitchfest..." and think of ourselves as righteous outlaws who stood up to the man. It'll be fun. But we don't have to shoot down Beck in order to do that.

BEST POST YET ON THIS SUBJECT. WHO SAYS THERE HAS T BE ONLY ONE ROPE UP? AS IT STANDS NOW THERE ARE 2, ONE FOR KIDS AND THE FULL MOON. DON'T WORRY FOLKS, THE SILENT MAJORITY WILL SHOW AND HAVE FUN.

Dave, I don't think people are miffed about the number of rope ups going on or even that this one exists. I think what peopl have their hackles up over is the fact that this event has been one way for the last two years, was originally thought to be this way again, until recently, and now what people had set in their minds as the rope up, is no longer what this event will be. It does not negate us from doing a rope up like the days of old, I just think it caught a few of us off guard that this was the direction this rope up was going, with little or no contact towards those that have helped put the rop up on in year's past (Beck had very little to do with the Rope ups in years past, although he did help get a campsite the last two years). As for your comment about the silent majority - Of course THEY are silent because the majority of those who will be at the CC.com rope up this year do not even subscribe, let alone post, to this website!

I have no bones with Beck and will probably attend this years sponsored Rope up, but also hope there will be a smaller venue, more in line with cc.com values on a different weekend for an all cc.comers shindig in Leavenworth. If I wanted to join the Mountaineers, I would join the Mountaineers. That is not my bag and therefore hope that the cc.comers will have there "own" rope up on a different date. I'm tired of bitching and whining like a Wittle cry Baby now. Proceed with your internet surfing...er I mean with the rest of your work day.

Dave_Schuldt said:

mattp said:

BEST POST YET ON THIS SUBJECT. WHO SAYS THERE HAS T BE ONLY ONE ROPE UP? AS IT STANDS NOW THERE ARE 2, ONE FOR KIDS AND THE FULL MOON. DON'T WORRY FOLKS, THE SILENT MAJORITY WILL SHOW AND HAVE FUN.

now we jsut need one for us fucking alcoholics! rockband.gifbigdrink.gif

I like Ry's take on this. The real kinda laid-back camping deal with TG beer will hopefully happen elsewhere!

That way I can not even be miffed that there's this other event masquerading as such.

Who knows how many people will even show up at the "festival" if the organizer keeps slagging everyone who doesn't want a big commercial event. I'm sure there will be plenty of other people there anyway. rolleyes.gif

marylou said:

I like Ry's take on this. The real kinda laid-back camping deal with TG beer will hopefully happen elsewhere!

That way I can not even be miffed that there's this other event masquerading as such.

Who knows how many people will even show up at the "festival" if the organizer keeps slagging everyone who doesn't want a big commercial event. I'm sure there will be plenty of other people there anyway. rolleyes.gif

fucking whiners.. get your 2 beer punch cards... drink em adn take off eh? thumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

I dunno, pal. I've got gear coming out of my ears. Just want to get together with the gang, hopefully do some climbing, have a pint of something, and have a little fun. I guess my needs are such that the lure of free stuff isn't enough to get me to wade through all the BS.

marylou said:

I dunno, pal. I've got gear coming out of my ears. Just want to get together with the gang, hopefully do some climbing, have a pint of something, and have a little fun. I guess my needs are such that the lure of free stuff isn't enough to get me to wade through all the BS.

but free beer... Mmmm see ya there? grin.gif

i believe it is still going to be one helluva party- and a worthy one as well- some of you must think a party with free gear, food and beer for dirtbag climbers is a BAD idea???

it's not going to be a sponsorfest like the WTA trails day, Marylou!!!

there isn't going to be a "beergarden"!! there's going to be free beer!

and grub as well!

it's going to be a rockfest- it's a climbers party.

Edited by Beck

Beck said:

i believe it is still going to be one helluva party- and a worthy one as well- some of you must think a party with free gear, food and beer for dirtbag climbers is a BAD idea???

and grub as well!

woooohoooo! no beer garden! rockband.gifbigdrink.gif

Beck said:

and grub as well!

Bah, pally, you called me names in PM. Screw that.

I'm going in the woods that weekend. Soft plans got firm as soon as I saw the Festival in full bloom. thumbs_down.gif