Ropeup Oct 10-11-12

Beck

Who: Rock climbers and members of the general public interested in rock climbing

What: 3rd annual Cascade Climbers Full Moon Ropeup

When: Fri, October 10th thru Sun, October 12th, 2003

Where: Bridge Creek Group Campground, Icicle Canyon, Leavenworth, WA

Why: Fostering stewardship of the vertical environment.

Come join fellow Northwest climbers at the third annual Cascade Climbers Full Moon Ropeup at beautiful Bridge Creek campground outside Leavenworth, Washington for a weekend of camaraderie, climbing and communication. Participate in the trail project, gear swap, or campfire tales.

Events planned for this fun filled event include: free rock shoe demos, beginning climber toprope/mini instructional clinics, trail project, Saturday afternoon potluck, raffle to benefit the Access Fund and the American Alpine Journal, slide presentations and safety demonstrations, a pancake breakfast Sunday, and free gear giveaways.

Event is FREE and open to all ages. Free camping at Bridge Creek Group Campground until full. Overflow camping nearby. Three years ago, the founding focus of the Cascade Climbers Ropeup was an effort to build solidarity among climbers in the Northwest. Many climbers were taking access issues too lightly. There had been closures at Frenchmans Coulee, the Forest Service wanted to close roads leading to Darrington crags, a bolt chopping/rebolting war was going on around Leavenworth, and climbers seemed to be oblivious to the necessity of limiting impacts in high mountain environments.

In the spirit of better communication about our common goals: climbing without fear of closure, missing belay stations, or overcrowding in the alpine zone, our mission statement grew: “Fostering stewardship of the vertical environment.”

This event has grown significantly since the first year. It is always 100% free, including camping at the group site. Some of the activities and events planned for the festival include: beginner’s climbing top rope area, a trails project with the Forest Service and the Access Fund, a bratwurst feed Saturday afternoon and a pancake breakfast Sunday morning. The main event: a slideshow Saturday evening by Steve Swenson and raffle to benefit the Access Fund and the American Alpine Journal. John Harlin, editor of the American Alpine Journal, will be presiding.

We already have sponsorship from Marmot International, Omega Pacific, Outdoor Research, The Access Fund, The American Alpine Club, Cascade Climbers.com, Cascade Crags, Second Ascent, Pro Mountain Sports, a local newspaper, and more are anticipated by the time the festival kicks off Friday, Oct10. thru Sunday Oct. 12.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rope up is a party for and by cc.com.

cc.com members suply all the elements for the party. TG = Beer, AlpineK = firewood, Wayne or others could do a slide show, pms = door prizes. In addition some kind of clean up project and an auction to raise money for the Access Fund might be nice.

What Rope up is not is an mega event with gear manufacturers, beer made by non-cc.com corporation, and especially not a venue to improve better relations with the FS. Who of you have been to a party where you decided to invite the police (Forest Service)

The Vertical World sponsors something in Leavenworth for folks interested in checking out gear.

If the local AAC wasn't such a lame ass organization they could have some kind of Climbers Rendezvuos to improve relations with the FS etc.

The Access Fund is the best venue for dealing with well access issues.

If folks from these organizations wish to attend Rope Up to further climbers interest in the above issues then great, but Rope Up is not a replacement for these other events and issues.

If we can't resolve the current problems with Rope Up I will regretfully support a boycot and some kind alternate event.

AlpineK said:

Rope up is a party for and by cc.com.

cc.com members suply all the elements for the party. TG = Beer, AlpineK = firewood, Wayne or others could do a slide show, pms = door prizes. In addition some kind of clean up project and an auction to raise money for the Access Fund might be nice.

What Rope up is not is an mega event with gear manufacturers, beer made by non-cc.com corporation, and especially not a venue to improve better relations with the FS. Who of you have been to a party where you decided to invite the police (Forest Service)

The Vertical World sponsors something in Leavenworth for folks interested in checking out gear.

If the local AAC wasn't such a lame ass organization they could have some kind of Climbers Rendezvuos to improve relations with the FS etc.

The Access Fund is the best venue for dealing with well access issues.

If folks from these organizations wish to attend Rope Up to further climbers interest in the above issues then great, but Rope Up is not a replacement for these other events and issues.

If we can't resolve the current problems with Rope Up I will regretfully support a boycot and some kind alternate event.

I agree with AK; this is not the annual "Rope Up" that was had in the past. This is a completely different event, albeit a worthwhile one. Lunch? I would assume people will be out climbing. Pancake breakfast? Dave Parker sponsored that this last year. WTF?

I think I'm siding with AK in forming the "Unorganized Free-Spirit Anti-Rope Up"; also known by its acronym, "UFSARU". We will be taking donations of beer and a grill. What else do climbers need? THank you for your support.

Greg_W

Lunch? I would assume people will be out climbing.
C'mon Greg, its already been said, there are going to be people who don't climb at the Climber's rope up! Also, all of the routes have a sign up sheet for a waiting list due to the number of people attending this year's Rope Up, so if you're not already on the list, it is doubtful you will get to climb at all this weekend, so might as well eat a free lunch! cheeburga_ron.gifHCL.gifyellaf.gif

I wholeheartedly support every climber in the PacNW attending this event. That way all my favorite routes everywhere else will be empty and waiting for ME!!! while the masses of crowded humanity are jostling for places in line for a free beer (until it runs out at 11am) and the chance to wear someone else's smelly old climbing shoes.

Greg_W said:

I agree with AK; this is not the annual "Rope Up" that was had in the past. This is a completely different event, albeit a worthwhile one. Lunch? I would assume people will be out climbing. Pancake breakfast? Dave Parker sponsored that this last year. WTF?

I think I'm siding with AK in forming the "Unorganized Free-Spirit Anti-Rope Up"; also known by its acronym, "UFSARU". We will be taking donations of beer and a grill. What else do climbers need? THank you for your support.

Greg_W

I agree that what Beck is planning is worthwhile, it is different from what a lot of people are looking for in Rope Up. There ought to be two separate events on different weekends so that people could go to both if they wished. Sometimes you don't mind structure and other times you just want to party.

I think the sponsored even ought to be much earlier in the season, such as early September and the unsponsored event at the original October time slot. Spring might even be a better time for the sponsored event with gear demos, because that is when people are in a "buying mood" anyway.

Mr. K,

I agree with Beck: quit pissing into the fire. He may have hijacked what you thought was YOUR party, but the fact is he DID sign up for the group campsite both of the last two years and he DID do whatever legwork was done. Does that give him the right to the trademark name "Ropeup?" I don't know. But I do know this: he has put a lot of work into this thing and he's got a lot of people on board. I don't think it is right to ask him to cancel all of it now - nor do I think that would serve anybody's interest. Let go of the name "Rope-Up." Let Beck and others have a success -- if the local American Alpine Club chapter that you think is so lame does something like a service project it will only be a good thing. If somebody who never wanted to go climbing "outdoors" is drawn in by corporate sponsorship and actually tries a toprope climb on real granite, what is wrong with that? If the rangers at Leavenworth think it is OK for climbers to throw a big event and try to sanitize it so that it meets forest service standards, that's great -- isn't it?

I agree with you that corporate sponsorship and professional beer servers in a formal "beer garden" and an organized program are not MY idea of a good time. If you want to organize your alternative event, lets do it. But lets not try to undermine Beck. Lets do it on a different weekend and lets let those who want the big festival enjoy their party. I mean, what are you fighting for here? It's the right to kick it with your buddies and have a good time. Nobody is stopping you. All of this pissing and moaning does kind of stink.

Looks to me Beck sold out just like TNF and REI. Say what you want, that's what it looks like. I'm not going anyway, but I sure as hell wouldn't go to a sponsored event, just like I won't buy a crabbing, fishing or hunting license. That's not the outlaw, dirtbag way.

matt

last year we just snagged that site, there was no paying for it.

i thought this was a cc.com party for everyone to get together and have fun. some people may need the feeling of addiontial hoopla and some may not.

i think that if it is a cc.com party then all of cc.com should have a say in what they think. no point in jumping on beck or blaming others.

this is supposed to be for fun and now it just sounds like a bunch of winers on ALL sides.

i personally think claiming corp sponsership or attempting to have clinics is a bit much. the party is for fun!!! not regulation or commericalism.

this site is about being loud and voicing what you think or believe, we all share one common thing and that is climbing.....

trask said:

Looks to me Beck sold out just like TNF and REI. Say what you want, that's what it looks like. I'm not going anyway, but I sure as hell wouldn't go to a sponsored event. That's not the dirtbag way.

remind me again what Beck's using the $5,000 donation he got from the city of Seattle for.