what a weekend!

minx

as i sit back and think about this weekend, at first i was thinking "boy what a strange weekend." lots of weird and frustrating things came up. in the end, really i think it turned out to be one of the more fun and relaxing weekends in a while.

it started with a total change in some long set plans to spend it at the lake and ended w/a fun alpine climb, a nice evening of cragging, a pleasant hike, and a semi-alpine climb. a weekend with lots of variety climbs...old familiar ones, long forgotten ones, new challenging ones and just a fun non-climb. i got to spend time w/new friends, rekindled relations, and great old friends.

hope y'all had as much fun as i did! thanks to all those who added to a great w/e thumbs_up.gif

what'd the rest of you do?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy's car died about 1/4 mile from the Bedal Creek trailhead, and our unsuccessful efforts at compression starting the engine by rolling downhill ultimately deposited us back on the Mountain Loop Highway. Thankfully a fire truck rolled by and the FS Fire crew let us call an unforuntate relative with a large truck to come and tow us back to Darrington. From this point onwards we spent many hours napping, throwing rocks at beer cans, re-reading the Green Becky guide, and generally plumbing the dark depths of boredom instead of climbing Sloan . The Unfortunate-Relative-With-The-Large-Truck arrived a bit after 9:00, and we were home by midnight. Before spending the day engaged in mundane tasks best reserved for weekday afternoons, I made a small memorial out of climbing gear to mourn the passing of a beautiful summer weekend, killed in its infancy by the capricious hand of a faulty fuel pump.

Promised to take a break this weekend and take my kid to the airshow on Saturday. hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif starter crapped out on my truck and spent the day getting it to the shop.

Couldn't resist today though and went up to 38 for some sport climbing and ended up nailing last summer's project that myself and neversummer spent to much time on. So Nick fucking AA I got it thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Montana was sweet. I climbed a few classics in Kootenai that I had last climbed about 12 years ago. Ironmongers and Pleasant Surprise. than across the creek for some shade. Elmo and a bunch of others. Raf G. put up some really nice lines in his day smile.gif

I remember all those classic lines you mentioned. I went to school in Missoula and started out doing most of my leading in Kootenai and Lolo Domes. Pleasant Suprise was my first trad lead. (even though it has a bolt or two lower)Do you have a chance to do 10th Commandment? Yes Raf put up excellent routes all around there. He's got a couple of sweet 1st's in Blodgett. Thanks for bringing back great memories.

I went to school there too and learned and taught classes in Kootenai. You mean 11th commandment. We didn't get a chance before the sun started to hit that side. Hotter than hell, like 100 plus. I'm going back again in a couple of weeks and I want to get on Flying Time, and 11th. Hopefully it will not be as hot.

Blodgett is closed all summer for Road repair cry.gif

60 mile road ride on Saturday and then a run (well brisk walk) up Mt. Pugh. Great day but the combination of the ride and the 5,300 ft elevation gain left me a bit leg weary. Hat's off to the young buck who cruised by us halfway up and not breaking a sweat.

Gary_Yngve said:

slabs.jpg

Thanks MattP for telling us where the start of Silent Running was. What a fun climb!

Woohoo! Silent Running was incredible! We had perfect weather, too. It was great to finally climb at Darrington without being baked to a crisp or rained on one pitch up.

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

minx said:

as i sit back and think about this weekend, at first i was thinking "boy what a strange weekend." lots of weird and frustrating things came up. in the end, really i think it turned out to be one of the more fun and relaxing weekends in a while.

it started with a total change in some long set plans to spend it at the lake and ended w/a fun alpine climb, a nice evening of cragging, a pleasant hike, and a semi-alpine climb. a weekend with lots of variety climbs...old familiar ones, long forgotten ones, new challenging ones and just a fun non-climb. i got to spend time w/new friends, rekindled relations, and great old friends.

hope y'all had as much fun as i did! thanks to all those who added to a great w/e thumbs_up.gif

You're not going to make a Casey Kasem long distance dedication now are you? tongue.gif

slothrop said:

Gary_Yngve said:

slabs.jpg

Thanks MattP for telling us where the start of Silent Running was. What a fun climb!

Woohoo! Silent Running was incredible! We had perfect weather, too. It was great to finally climb at Darrington without being baked to a crisp or rained on one pitch up.

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

When did you guys do Silent Running? We were on Silent Running on Saturday. Our feet were back on the ground before anyone else showed up to 3:00 rock. Beautiful day, great company, solitude, and great rock. I love D'Town!

Greg_W said:

minx said:

You're not going to make a Casey Kasem long distance dedication now are you? tongue.gif

i wanted to but Casey won't return my calls cry.gif

Needed a change from hanging out at the crags all day on my one and only day off. Desperate for a more solitary activity that would kick me in the ass.

Rode my bike about 10 miles to bouldering/traversing area. climbed for a couple hours (w/ a few breaks to deal with the pain of workin' in new pair of shoes), rode another 15 miles. (thats a good start for me, as I dont have much experience with 'cross training' or 'doubling up').

Later met up with a friend and his preschool age children. Went to the zoo with them...carrying them half the time and playing the "swing me with your one arm" game. Good times!

Had dinner made for me, visited until it was safe to go home (there was a big festival a 1/2 block from my house)...crashed hard!

Work the rest of the weekend. mad.gif