Kautz

wscottf

Does any know how long it takes to get to Camp Hazard? A buddy and I are planning on dragging a friend up the Kautz, but only if the approach doesn't take too long.

Of course, Camp Hazard isn't recommended, so we'll probably camp below it.

Any beta on the route?

Scott

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested to know if later in the summer it becomes standard practice to do the approach to the Kautz starting from Christine Falls trailhead instead of Paradise in order to avoid having to climb up the western laternal moraine of the Nisqually glacier which looks like it gets to be a bowling alley as the snow melts away.

It took me and 2 buddies 9 hours to get to Hazard from Paradise in June 1999. The thousand foot elevation loss down to the Nisqually, which you then have to regain, certainly makes the first day harder. I was surprised to see how many parties made this route into a 3 day, camping down below the Turtle on Wapowety Cleaver. There were quite a few nice sheltered locations for camps there.

About 8-9 hrs Paradise to Hazard. Can also climb to just below the Turtle. There's semi-dependable water there. Then you can summit from here without hauling overnight gear up the Turtle. Or do it in 2 1/2 days with a night lower on the Wapoweti, then to Hazard.........makes for a much more enjoyable trip.