It appears Bush was right after all...

allthumbs

Fence_Sitter said:

i think if you weren't grown up in the N.W. things might be different... many of you are from here and this state is muuuch different than eastern and especailly central states... perspective!

Yo Fence. I grew up in Michigan.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

Fence_Sitter said:

i think if you weren't grown up in the N.W. things might be different... many of you are from here and this state is muuuch different than eastern and especailly central states... perspective!

Yo Fence. I grew up in Michigan.

damnit english... you as in plural you... was adressing washingtonians as a whole...

Я иду от него

Fence_Sitter said:

tho ya dont need no evidence for this. it can be summed up in tow words: ralf nader

minx said:

Fence, chill, english is just fine for expressing your thoughts on this.

but i wonder why any of you are bothering. we've beat this topic death. express your opinion w/your vote

no... i had the greatest saying... totally untranslatable... and i have mental blue balls for not using it! yellaf.gif

Fence,

Wherever I got the idea that more educated people are more likely to be liberal, I have never really questioned it. I ran some internet searches and I found people asserting that more educated people are more likely to vote, more likely to engage in political protest, more likely to favor gun control, less likely to be anti-semetic, and less likely to rely on TV news as their main source of information about politics -- and I did not find a single place where someone was suggesting that more education led people toward traditional "conservative" positions. I'm sure you could find some, though, and I don't have any real statistics to back up my statement. Maybe I read it in some liberal news media in an article written by someone who was making things up.

are you suggesting that conservatives are anti-semitic? confused.gif

if not, the only reason you believe that liberals are more educated is that they go to anti-war rallies and promote gun control? confused.gif either way i look at this it makes little sense... either you are implying conservatives are all of these things or it is just a random compilation of things well read people do... confused.gif

Yo Fence. Re-read my post. What I wrote was that I could not, in a few quick internet searches, find any real validation for my prior statement.

As for anti-semeticism, I would tend to agree that it is not a classic conservative idea. However, I think the east-coast liberal establishment and the liberal enclave that I surround myself with has historcally been and probably still is way ahead of your middle America conservatives on this issue.

And yes, smart and educated people ARE for gun control.

And yes, smart and educated people ARE for gun control.

are you saying the inverse is true?

still is way ahead of your middle America conservatives on this issue

there are conservatives that dont like in oklahoma... as i stated earlier, the only thing you see when you hear conservative is king of the hill... reality is not a TV show... the new copnservatives are not tied to partisan politics which their predecessors are... i am of this new generation... example: i am for gun control, i am against abortion, i am for green issues, i am against bigger millitary. though you all say that you make up your minds for you, your parties actually do this fo you... why is it that such a large percentage either embraces the warm embrace of all of the conservative ideals or those of the liberals? this seems ridiculous and yet you still say you have an open mind! pshaw! yellaf.gif

Sphinx said:

Billygoat said:

Iraq never was and never will be a threat to us.

You are stupid beyond belief. Read up on Saddam. The guy was a MAJOR risk to everyone. Remember the Gulf War? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

What, cause it took us a whole week to crush his army?!? yellaf.gif Man, you are easily spooked cry.gif Our dependence on oil IS a major risk to everyone. Remember why the fuck we give a shit about that region the_finger.gif The suffering royal families of the house of Saud and Kuwait my ass moon.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

Kiwi said:

My problem with Bush and Iraq is that I don't think he went in there for WMD, Saddam, or to free Iraq's people.

please please... tell me you dont think it is oil... rolleyes.gif

No, it's not about the oil. rolleyes.gif

I agree that we should've gone to Iraq, but not for the fabricated BS reasons given by Bush to convince the American public and the international community. I don't know what the reason was, but I'm sure it's not any of the official reasons. I just want a straight answer--the truth. Hell, if they said, 'We don't like the way he smiles', it would've been a good enough reason for me.

A lot of 'patriotric' Americans praise this administration for their straight talk, take-no-shit, non-PC approach; but I feel Iraq was one big deception.

Kiwi said:

Fence_Sitter said:

Kiwi said:

My problem with Bush and Iraq is that I don't think he went in there for WMD, Saddam, or to free Iraq's people.

please please... tell me you dont think it is oil... rolleyes.gif

No, it's not about the oil. rolleyes.gif

I agree that we should've gone to Iraq, but not for the fabricated BS reasons given by Bush to convince the American public and the international community. I don't know what the reason was, but I'm sure it's not any of the official reasons. I just want a straight answer--the truth. Hell, if they said, 'We don't like the way he smiles', it would've been a good enough reason for me.

A lot of 'patriotric' Americans praise this administration for their straight talk, take-no-shit, non-PC approach; but I feel Iraq was one big deception.

coo dog thumbs_up.gif

(mattp said) However, isn't it a fact that more highly educated and well-read individuals, on average, are more liberal? That doesn't necessarily mean conservatives are stupid -- but of course they are, aren't they? Ignorant rednecks...

I think the real answer to matt's question is based on your personality and what you do for a living. People who employ large numbers of people, or who manage large tasks or organizations, or who manage significant capital investments are the "parents" in society---they are responsible for keeping "the railroad running." They tend to be Republican.

On the other hand, academics, lawyers, union employees tend to be liberal because they benefit from backing a system of "us" and "them" in which the "us" are the majority, and this majority want to live like children. More time off, more money, more control of other people's stuff---and we want the government to do it all for us.

The problem is, there is an end to the government money tit, and to the redistribution-of-wealth-by-lawyering. And unfortunately it requires the conservative "parents" of society to pull us out of the mud, after the children have almost sucked us dry.

Huh?? Ah the paternal conservatives will take care of all those free-thinking children. Oh that's good. And as far as wealth-redistribution - the conservatives have been doing a fine job of that, and continue to do so under the current administration. But if one points out the continue benefits being laid at the feet of the upper income brackets the conservatives cry "class warfare". Well I guess it is, and they're winning.

And as far as wealth-redistribution - the conservatives have been doing a fine job of that, and continue to do so under the current administration.

Yep, like that tax check you're about to get. smirk.gif

Jim, go back to reading your Hillary biography.

Ah the paternal conservatives will take care of all those free-thinking children.

At some point you have to make a choice: Are you going to suck McDonalds dry by suing it and regulating it to death, or are you going to work with it and make sure it pays back with employment, commerce, and tax income?

RobBob said:

At some point you have to make a choice: Are you going to suck McDonalds dry by suing it and regulating it to death, or are you going to work with it and make sure it pays back with employment, commerce, and tax income?

Hmmm. Another non-sequitur confused.gif. But I'll try and pick up the discussion for you. The drift of the conservative movement in americia in it's current for is interesting. Conservative used to mean conducting government conservatively - fiscal responsibility, cautious action abroad, and diplomacy before foreign intervention. The current form seems to be opposed to these values, particlularly regarding the burdening of our current economy and future generations with mountains of debt and foreign interventions. It's astonishing how fast we've gone from budget supluses and reduction of the national debt to the current drain on the treasury. I would prefer tax and spend to borrow and spend.

And the current tax refund you or I will receive pales in comparison to the breaks of the elite. Bushie and friends included.

Not a non-sequitur, but perhaps you cannot interprete metaphors. The point is, the current system in which our culture believes that suing large companies is a fair way to compensate "victims" (overeaters, smokers, etc.) and a fair way to regulate corporate America, is bound to come to a screeching halt when those companies can no longer make a reasonable return on investment. The Republican answer is to take care of the economic engines that grow the economy. Maybe they overdo it, I dunno. But you and some of the other bleeding-hearts here are so vituperously left that you cannot for a minute allow yourself to see the big picture---that you are trying to turn the US into another Europe, which hastens the movement of industry and jobs to Asia and Latin America.