Define Dirtbag

chelle

So in another post people are equating dirtbags with hippies.

Discuss.

Personally I define dirtbag climbers as people who climb as much as they can, are comfortable living out of their vehicles, don't need to shower, shave, etc. as often as the average non-dirtbag, likes to figure out how to work the systems for free or near free stuff, likes to have a good time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dirtbag is living as cheaply as possible on the road in order to have more time and resources to devote to climbing

ie

camping in free camping instead of paying for site with picnic table and campfire ring

scarfing leftovers in restaurants

doing all the shopping at damaged caselot sales places and living for days on dented cans of polish mystery meat and half-fermented peach cocktail

field testing the waterproofness of duct taped rainwear

using gear salvaged from dumpster in Canmore or found as booty as your primary equipment

preferring free piss beer to quality spendy beer

spending 6 hours in washroom drying your ice climbing gear under the handdryer cause you too cheap for motel room with heating and are bivying down by the tracks

i miss the good times of dirt bagging

dirt bag are the true heroes

us working class stiffs can only dream of the life

ehmmic said:

trask said:

hmmm, sounds like a hippie to me smirk.gif

Actually trask, I thought that hippies are into The Dead and similar tunes, wear dumpy looking clothes, and are into free love and all that.

You are on to something here. wink.gif although not all hippies like the dead, and not all hippies wear ugly dumpy clothes. Perhaps it has more to do with political bent. As of yet, I have not met a true dirtbag that gives a rip, as long as he or she can climb. Most realy hard core hippies would rather the wilderness was left alone. That means NO CLIMBING AT ALL madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif no hiking, no camping....

skykilo said:

Dirtbags can post on cc.com. You guys ever heard of a library? They have FREE MEMBERSHIPS!

I used to see bums hanging out surfing the web in Multnomah County Library, downtown P-town. Those guys are definitely dirtbags.

fuck you. you dont know shit ya little cocksucker. stfu.

heres the deal skykilo. climbing dirtbags have resources and backups and do it by choice. walk a mile in the shoes of those guys dwntown who you call dirtbags and see if they are there by choice. waiting in line for a little time on the internet at the library fucking sucks. its a strong person who deals with all the bullshit of living on the street yet does it with dignity. so stfu ya little cocksucker.

I spent a couple months living with those guys, not exactly by choice. (Not by choice any more than anyone else there made SOME bad decisions.) I don't think there is a way to live like that with dignity.

You're right about the dirtbag climbers thing, but so the fuck what? Yeah, I'll take my bullshit comments to spray next time. Oh, wait... the_finger.gif

pope said:

Q. What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?

A. The position of the dirtbag.

article on Harleys in this months Smithsonian ... 40% of owners have annual income over $75,000 ... that's the level of dirtbaggin I could handle thumbs_up.gif

fern said:

pope said:

Q. What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?

A. The position of the dirtbag.

article on Harleys in this months Smithsonian ... 40% of owners have annual income over $75,000 ... that's the level of dirtbaggin I could handle thumbs_up.gif

they used to be for dirtbags, but what self respectin dirt bag could ever own one of those??? confused.gif