First leads

dryad

I'd like to nominate the corner crack on Hammerhead Rock in Leavenworth (5.6) for the list of routes that are good for doing one's first trad lead. It's short, it's easy, it can be toproped if you want that security blanket, and it happily swallows up any and all gear that you can toss at it. You can place something every 2 feet if you wanted to. Heck, there's even a rock horn you can sling.

Other suggestions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iain said:

at smitty:

lycopodophyta + lame crack to right

1st pitch of spiderman

1st pitch of moscow

any pitch of superslab

in/out of harms way

And the rest of Moscow as well.

What about Cinammon slab?

That's pretty easy.

Maybe for sport, Shamu? one hard (kinda) move right off the ground and then a walk up.

The 2nd pitch on the Lizard. The fist crack is a pain for a first lead. It was my first lead and crack experiance. Never knew that there was a super easy route called the Great Northern Slab that feels alot easier that it's rateing.

Pixie Corner in Squamish is a good first lead.

If you have never touched a crack you might want to do something like G.N.S. or stuff everywhere in squamish.

bunglehead said:

iain said:

at smitty:

lycopodophyta + lame crack to right

1st pitch of spiderman

1st pitch of moscow

any pitch of superslab

in/out of harms way

And the rest of Moscow as well.

What about Cinammon slab?

That's pretty easy.

Maybe for sport, Shamu? one hard (kinda) move right off the ground and then a walk up.

I agree with lycophodyte and the other crack next to it. Also what is the route next to shamu on the arete?? I have been told it is a 10a, but this seems wrong. I would rate it a .9. Another great lead on sport on the rope de dope is the far right arete with the roof. That roof has huge jugs so you can hang it out and beat you chest and s*&t bigdrink.gif Also a great test piece for sport is the planet luxery on the mesa verde wall. It is a 100 ft pitch that is like a ski ramp, first ten feet 5.7, next 5.8 ...... till last ten feet is a 10c arete lye back to anchors "best route at smiffy??"

bunglehead said:

Hey, Dancer (or is it Jete?) is good. The one where you have to step right off the ramp and onto the face above the third bolt, which makes it feel airier than it is. That's good too.

Or you can miss the step right and run it out 509 feet to the anchor... and rip off a big hold near the top and teeter back and forth on the brink of falling off figuring out how different tuff is from granite thumbs_up.gif

bunglehead said:

Hey, Dancer (or is it Jete?) is good. The one where you have to step right off the ramp and onto the face above the third bolt, which makes it feel airier than it is. That's good too.

or you can climb them both together because they are so close wink.gif

uh ya... I'm gunna lead thos some day laugh.gif

Dru said:

bunglehead said:

Or you can miss the step right and run it out 509 feet to the anchor... and rip off a big hold near the top and teeter back and forth on the brink of falling off figuring out how different tuff is from granite thumbs_up.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

That's good. 509 feet! Hey Dru, if you're popping holds at Smith and running pitches out, you're getting the Full Value Locals Package. Tuff. LOVE IT! You guys in Washy and Canada are so spoiled with all yer Granite.