Baker N. Ridge conditions?

Stephen_Ramsey

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen_Ramsey said:

Does anyone have information about the present (or recent) conditions on the Baker North Ridge, and the approach across the Roosevelt & Coleman glaciers?

Bring rope for glacier travel.

Conditions constantly change in the mountains for your information. I understand if you're a "newbie", but if you are not, why are you asking such a stupid question?

Just go do it, it's not that difficult.

Scourge said:

Stephen_Ramsey said:

Does anyone have information about the present (or recent) conditions on the Baker North Ridge, and the approach across the Roosevelt & Coleman glaciers?

Bring rope for glacier travel.

Conditions constantly change in the mountains for your information. I understand if you're a "newbie", but if you are not, why are you asking such a stupid question?

Just go do it, it's not that difficult.

howdy ho! mabe he is wondering how much maze-navigation he is gonna have to do... probably important in determining time of departure eh there cheif? wave.gifwazzup.gif

• 4 weeks later...
cracked said:

Crazy Jeff recently climbed it in socks and a speedo. I think he took a whippet, too.

Speaking of Crazy_Jeff, he and I climbed North Ridge yesterday. The hard part is getting to it. I'd recommend approaching via Skyline Divide to avoid crossing the Coleman Glacier now, or just find a more efficient way through than we retards did.

Pictures and more thorough description:

http://staff.washington.edu/skykilo/NorthRidge/NorthRidge.html

erik said:

maybe if you were looking for cluster fuck practice your approach to the peak would make sense. but it doesnt. sound skills in route finding and decision making are paramount in safe mountain travel!

yes... paramount in "safe" mountain travel. But if you're so concerned about being safe, just stay home and beat off on your couch. If there's no risk, it's a hike, not a climb.

And next time I'm looking for cluster fuck practice, I'll do what I always do... head over to your mom's house.

kewl jeff!

ill let her know you are on your way over. and by the way she told me to let you know that maybe those size enchancements pills you have been dreaming about would be a good idea.

and your funny, i wish i could stay home and wack it, but alas i have yet to climb all the mtns i desire this year.

risk can be mitigated to help increase your odds of success and survival, apprently you care little for both.

Crazy_Jeff said:

yes... paramount in "safe" mountain travel. But if you're so concerned about being safe, just stay home and beat off on your couch. If there's no risk, it's a hike, not a climb.

OK, honestly, while it's fair to say their is always risk, I'd have to agree that crossing a heavily crevassed glacier with obvious risks instead of simply going another, easier way to your route, is just stupid. I wasn't there and don't know what happened, so who knows if this was the case or not.

What happened? Who cares? Really, I didn't think crossing the glacier was that bad, it was just time consuming. Would you have tucked tail? That would be OK, I wouldn't pass any judgement on you. I saw it as an obstacle that could be overcome, and continued.

Maybe next time I'll approach another way.

I thought there might be an all right path across the Coleman. Seems like we were a little too late for that. Next time I come up with a stupid plan, just don't come with me, OK?

Now I've made it painfully obvious how stupid it would be to do the North Ridge this way right now. I just had to find out. I do this so other people can shake their heads. People like to do that.

I love you guys!

I probably would have done the same thing, FWIW. You were already out there, and it certainly doesn't seem like you took any sort of horrible risk. I'm not sure Jeff's comments towards erik were really called for, but I guess that's the nature of this site.

For one thing, it certainly made your pictures from the approach much more interesting. I was on it in June and can't believe how much different it looks.

skykilo said:

What happened? Who cares? Really, I didn't think crossing the glacier was that bad, it was just time consuming. Would you have tucked tail? That would be OK, I wouldn't pass any judgement on you. I saw it as an obstacle that could be overcome, and continued.

Maybe next time I'll approach another way.

I thought there might be an all right path across the Coleman. Seems like we were a little too late for that. Next time I come up with a stupid plan, just don't come with me, OK?

Now I've made it painfully obvious how stupid it would be to do the North Ridge this way right now. I just had to find out. I do this so other people can shake their heads. People like to do that.

I love you guys!

Sky, this is cc.com. Just respond with a rolleyes.gif.