Rainier Climbing Permits

wscottf

When did the policy on climbing permits change? It used to be that your permit was good for an enitre year, now it appears that it expires 12/31 of the year you purchased it.

From the MORA web site:

"Climbing fees have changed for 2003. All climbers pay a flat fee of $30, whether they climb one time or numerous times. This fee must be paid at the time the reservation is made (or when registering for your first climb of the year if no reservation has been made). This climbing fee is valid for an entire calendar year--i.e. fees paid in 2003 will expire 12/31/2003."

Mt. Adams and St. Helens use this same policy and I thought it was bunk. I'm sorry to see Mt. Rainier go this same direction.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange, I got my annual climbing permit from Mt. Reindeer earlier this month. It states "....without further payment of climbing fee for twelve months from date of issue." It's punched as expiring December 03. The punch seems to contradict the text on the permit.

They're still using the old permit cards from before this policy went into effect but punching them all to expire at the end of this year. Guess we'll all have to start doing winter ascents in January to get our moneys worth out of the annual permits huh?

I am happy to pay the fee since they have running water at Paradise, plow the roads, have solar toilets, and a hut. I am however disappointed to see the policy change.

Mt. Adams on the other hand: thumbs_down.gif

No toilets, no hut, and most of all, the road is in bad shape until July. I'm very grumpy about having to pay to climb Adams. For the money I have to spend to climb Adams, I'd like to see added value.

wscottf said:

I am happy to pay the fee since they have running water at Paradise, plow the roads, have solar toilets, and a hut. I am however disappointed to see the policy change.

Mt. Adams on the other hand: thumbs_down.gif

No toilets, no hut, and most of all, the road is in bad shape until July. I'm very grumpy about having to pay to climb Adams. For the money I have to spend to climb Adams, I'd like to see added value.

Ya, me too. I'm so happy to pay for services and improvements that thousands of others use but do not have to pay added fees for other than the park entrance fee. So ti cost $30 bucks to use the solar shitter once, and the shelter was built and payed for early the last century. As for Adams, do like me and many others, climb and don't pay the fee and quit whining. Sorry to vent on you, climbers get singled out and I'm tired of it.

220756-FtheTool2.thumb.jpg.f2b717ed886c46d06be58a89ef178155.jpg