Full Moon Rope Up

chelle

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jon said:

ryland_moore said:

We have lined up some cool things, like for people who are coming who don't rock climb

You mean there are going to be people there who don't climb? I assumed that Rope Up meant a climber's rope-up, not a party for the masses from Wenatchee to come and crash when they get tired of trying to not get busted for cruising violations.

So, just for clarification, this is NOT a CC.com event and is now a benefit for Access Fund, AAC, and any other sponsor who is being asked to participate? I think this needs to be clarified. If this is a mass benefit where we can expect a few hundred climbers and another 100+ non-climbers, that is much different than a rope-up gathering that cc.comers have participated in over the last few years in the Spring and Fall. I have no problem with this type of event, and will gladly support AAC and Access Fund, but if it is not for cc.comers specifically, one, I don't think it should be called the Rope up, and tweo, I think we should have just a cc.comers only "rope-up" on another weekend. Back to TG kegs, throwing puppies, and watching Erik solo 5.10 offwidths in the dark!

I said people who don't ROCK climb. I don't know how many people here don't rock climb, but if they don't and don't have shoes then they have a way for getting them. What if you are a regular poster and want to bring a friend who doesn't climb. Guess what, they will have shoes to climb in!!!! I don't know what the top rope deal is but I think you guys are getting way to worked up over nothing.

for sure... quitcherbitchen and start to get excited!!! rockband.gif

Hello all

This party sounds like to be good funs for all.

I am thinking it would be good time to combine with my portaledge rave party on the Toothie idea.

Where are some good areasd in Leavenworth for having such a party? For safeties and ease of set up would be good to have or place many fixed anchors for the porta ledges. Also to have near a road or to be with a good trail for carrying up the generators and turntables and equipment. I am thinking with a full moon a disco ball is not to be necessary. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

G-spotter said:

Hello all

This party sounds like to be good funs for all.

I am thinking it would be good time to combine with my portaledge rave party on the Toothie idea.

Where are some good areasd in Leavenworth for having such a party? For safeties and ease of set up would be good to have or place many fixed anchors for the porta ledges. Also to have near a road or to be with a good trail for carrying up the generators and turntables and equipment. I am thinking with a full moon a disco ball is not to be necessary. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

castle rock yo! right off the road!!! rockband.gif

Attitude said:

carolyn said:

Whats the guidebook for the area?

Anyone know how I can get a copy of this out here. No luck in any of the stores. I checked on amazon.com...a no go.

Do any of the stores in Wa offer mail order?

I would love to look at a copy before heading out there.

Leavenworth: Levenworth Rock 2nd Ed, Viktor Kramer

Index: Sky Valley Rock, Darryl Cramer

carolyn said:

Attitude said:

carolyn said:

Whats the guidebook for the area?

Anyone know how I can get a copy of this out here. No luck in any of the stores. I checked on amazon.com...a no go.

Do any of the stores in Wa offer mail order?

I would love to look at a copy before heading out there.

Leavenworth: Levenworth Rock 2nd Ed, Viktor Kramer

Index: Sky Valley Rock, Darryl Cramer

Both Guide books are available through Rei.com

I couldn't spend the time to read this whole thread, but I think I get the jist.

I am paraphrasing but, Beck said something to the effect that we as a group should be grateful that OR is ponying up for beer and SHUT UP and tow the coporate line and enjoy what is being forced upon us.

Frankly, Pyrimid is the biggest whore in the whole micro brewing industry. They will compromise any ethics to get people to drink their swill. They are desparate to for sales and spend more on marketing and incentive programs then they do paying the decent and hard working brewers that are forced to brew the crap. I normally avoid bad mouthing any breweries or competetors beer, but I know what crap pyramid has pulled and I can't help it in this unique case.

A dime will get you a hunded bucks that OR is not paying for the beer.

I thought Beck worked for Marmot. Is he a corporate pansy for OR as well?

I had intended to make it to the rope - up this year and bring as much beer as you people wanted. I'm happy to do it. It's easy for me. I don't consider giving away beer occasionally to people that enjoy it to be promotional.

I was really looking forward to meeting a bunch of you and enjoying some " Fear & Loathing" in the woods and on the crags. But the last thing I want to do is be a part of some big, organized promotional event.

I don't know you, Beck, so it's not personal; but fuck off.

If anyone wants something like last year; I'll be there and I'll bring the beer...just pass the hat for bourbon.

Terminal_Gravity said:

I couldn't spend the time to read this whole thread, but I think I get the jist.

I am paraphrasing but, Beck said something to the effect that we as a group should be grateful that OR is ponying up for beer and SHUT UP and tow the coporate line and enjoy what is being forced upon us.

Frankly, Pyrimid is the biggest whore in the whole micro brewing industry. They will compromise any ethics to get people to drink their swill. They are desparate to for sales and spend more on marketing and incentive programs then they do paying the decent and hard working brewers that are forced to brew the crap. I normally avoid bad mouthing any breweries or competetors beer, but I know what crap pyramid has pulled and I can't help it in this unique case.

A dime will get you a hunded bucks that OR is not paying for the beer.

I thought Beck worked for Marmot. Is he a corporate pansy for OR as well?

I had intended to make it to the rope - up this year and bring as much beer as you people wanted. I'm happy to do it. It's easy for me. I don't consider giving away beer occasionally to people that enjoy it to be promotional.

I was really looking forward to meeting a bunch of you and enjoying some " Fear & Loathing" in the woods and on the crags. But the last thing I want to do is be a part of some big, organized promotional event.

I don't know you, Beck, so it's not personal; but fuck off.

If anyone wants something like last year; I'll be there and I'll bring the beer...just pass the hat for bourbon.

top o' castle rock anyone! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Maybe we should have the anti-corporate rope-up at the base of Prussik Peak. That way anyone that gets there will be a climber or at least have enough ability to hike their asses 10 miles uphill for a taste of that sweet TG stout. We could avoid the Tool and have a snafflehound cook-off.

texplorer said:

Maybe we should have the anti-corporate rope-up at the base of Prussik Peak. That way anyone that gets there will be a climber or at least have enough ability to hike their asses 10 miles uphill for a taste of that sweet TG stout. We could avoid the Tool and have a snafflehound cook-off.

You voluntering to carry the keg? bigdrink.gif

As an "outsider" who has never/ will never attend any "rope up" let me provide my unsolicited, personal observations:

Beck is being cast as the proverbial "gift-horse". Seems to me that he took it upon himself to make things happen, but because he didn't toe the vitriolic anti-corporate line that exists here, he's gettin' a good bashing.

Since you are all so anti-corporate 'round here, be sure you all cast off your OR Gaiters, and leave your Omega Pacific 'biners at the trailhead.

Beck's "fostering stewardship...NOT partying" on the other hand, is a bit over-the-top to be sure. Kind of a mother hen.

I'm going back to my book now...Kind of reminds me of this thread...

Animal Farm. Seems some animals are "more equal" than others around here.

blush.gifrolleyes.gif

Fairweather said:

As an "outsider" who has never/ will never attend any "rope up" let me provide my unsolicited, personal observations:

I'll add another. "No good deed goes unpunished."

Many, many successful climbing parties have been launched with much preplanning but little advance notice. Personally, I wouldn't put the word out about free beer and good climbing until about a week beforehand.

Fairweather said:

Beck is being cast as the proverbial "gift-horse". Seems to me that he took it upon himself to make things happen, but because he didn't toe the vitriolic anti-corporate line that exists here, he's gettin' a good bashing.

Since you are all so anti-corporate 'round here, be sure you all cast off your OR Gaiters, and leave your Omega Pacific 'biners at the trailhead.

Foulwether, that the most inteligent thing youu have ever posted.

And I'm shure that everyone of us has bought shit form REI.

After the event we can decide if it was cool and how we want to do it next year. Don't let the buzzkill get you down, show up and have fun!!!

I will most likely be at the rope up even if it is corporately sponsored at the trailhead. . . .and I'm a dirtbag so I'll take any free-bees that they give away as well. The rope-up is my one chance per year to chestbeat to my washington friends all the lame things I have been up to. I'm don't really care who sponsors it as long as it is still for real climbers or real facsimiles thereof.

Who: Rock climbers and members of the general public interested in rock climbing

What: 3rd annual Cascade Climbers Full Moon Ropeup

When: Fri, October 10th thru Sun, October 12th, 2003

Where: Bridge Creek Group Campground, Icicle Canyon, Leavenworth, WA

Why: Fostering stewardship of the vertical environment.

Come join fellow Northwest climbers at the third annual Cascade Climbers Full Moon Ropeup at beautiful Bridge Creek campground outside Leavenworth, Washington for a weekend of camaraderie, climbing and communication. Participate in the trail project, gear swap, or campfire tales.

Events planned for this fun filled event include: free rock shoe demos, beginning climber toprope/mini instructional clinics, trail project, Saturday afternoon potluck, raffle to benefit the Access Fund and the American Alpine Journal, slide presentations and safety demonstrations, a pancake breakfast Sunday, and free gear giveaways.

Event is FREE and open to all ages. Free camping at Bridge Creek Group Campground until full. Overflow camping nearby.

Three years ago, the founding focus of the Cascade Climbers Ropeup was an effort to build solidarity among climbers in the Northwest. Many climbers were taking access issues too lightly. There had been closures at Frenchmans Coulee, the Forest Service wanted to close roads leading to Darrington crags, a bolt chopping/rebolting war was going on around Leavenworth, and climbers seemed to be oblivious to the necessity of limiting impacts in high mountain environments.

In the spirit of better communication about our common goals: climbing without fear of closure, missing belay stations, or overcrowding in the alpine zone, our mission statement grew: “Fostering stewardship of the vertical environment.”

This event has grown significantly since the first year. It is always 100% free, including camping at the group site. Some of the activities and events planned for the festival include: beginner’s climbing top rope area, a trails project with the Forest Service and the Access Fund, a bratwurst feed Saturday afternoon and a pancake breakfast Sunday morning. The main event: a slideshow Saturday evening by Steve Swenson and raffle to benefit the Access Fund and the American Alpine Journal. John Harlin, editor of the American Alpine Journal, will be presiding.

We already have sponsorship from Marmot International, Omega Pacific, Outdoor Research, The Access Fund, The American Alpine Club, Cascade Climbers.com, Cascade Crags, Second Ascent, Pro Mountain Sports, a local newspaper, and more are anticipated by the time the festival kicks off Friday, Oct10. thru Sunday Oct. 12.

Rope up is a party for and by cc.com.

cc.com members suply all the elements for the party. TG = Beer, AlpineK = firewood, Wayne or others could do a slide show, pms = door prizes. In addition some kind of clean up project and an auction to raise money for the Access Fund might be nice.

What Rope up is not is an mega event with gear manufacturers, beer made by non-cc.com corporation, and especially not a venue to improve better relations with the FS. Who of you have been to a party where you decided to invite the police (Forest Service)

The Vertical World sponsors something in Leavenworth for folks interested in checking out gear.

If the local AAC wasn't such a lame ass organization they could have some kind of Climbers Rendezvuos to improve relations with the FS etc.

The Access Fund is the best venue for dealing with well access issues.

If folks from these organizations wish to attend Rope Up to further climbers interest in the above issues then great, but Rope Up is not a replacement for these other events and issues.

If we can't resolve the current problems with Rope Up I will regretfully support a boycot and some kind alternate event. frown.gif

Beck said:

our mission statement grew: “Fostering stewardship of the vertical environment.”

since when was a mission statment required to get together with friends and fellows climbers, drink beer, do some climbing and howl at the moon?

Why not have grass-roots, non-corporate, bring-our-own, "party" in September sometime?

This would allow those who seem put off by the Octoberfest to do their thing. This would also allow all those who want to attend the big extravaganza to do that thing. AND it would not require the groups to be divided. If you got enough free time, this way you could do both!

September is a good time for just about ANYWHERE in WA. Darrington or Washington Pass come to mind if Leavenworth is all booked up already.

C'mon AlpineK, I'm sure you got enough firewood for two events. cool.gif

AlpineK said:

If we can't resolve the current problems with Rope Up I will regretfully support a boycot and some kind alternate event. frown.gif

Fire Beck. I nominate and support Wavy Gravy to head up the cc.com October RopeUp. Now that boy knows how to throw a party!!! bigdrink.gif

wavy.jpg