More Squamish break-ins 7/27

chalkball

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The campground at the base of the Chief is run by the Squamish Rockclimbers' Association, under contract with BC Parks, on the condition that any profits must be spent in the park. It has been suggested that a number of bus depot - style lockers with the removeable key might be installed next to the manager's house. I haven't looked into how much it would cost, but it's a possibility we may investigate over the coming winter. There are some small food-storage bins at the cook-shelter that could double as storage for valuables, but they're of limited size, and may be fully occupied by groceries on any given day.

The new Squamish Hostel, which is right beside Hwy 99 on the right as you come into town, has just opened, and I know Gord was talking about having day-lockers there. Not sure if he's got them in yet, but that might be worth a try.

And not to use this forum for flagrant commercial plugs, but if you ask really, really nicely, there is a small amount of extra storage space in the back room of...ahem... ~Valhalla Pure~ outfitters. People have been known to leave extra gear there when going on extended back-country trips, in exchange for a donation to the Bolt Fund.

But I agree, a central location with several large lockers for day-storage of surplus gear would be a hugely valuable addition to the local facilities. Stay tuned...

that's great to hear, murray. i've been known to take my rack even when my partner's got his just because i'm afraid of having it stolen. i would be so shit out of luck since i don't have insurance coverage to replace that stuff. a surefire safe place to store gear during the day would be sweet and well worth paying for the peace of mind. thumbs_up.gif

So what should a Washington climber do to be as safe as possible in Squamish? I'm probably headed there this weekend, and after reading the various threads here about trouble with the locals, I want to do my best to avoid this kind of thing. Obviously, we'll do our best to keep the car empty of EVERYTHING, but it sounds like in some cases theft isn't the main objective of the perps.

I have a Canadian flag postcard that I'll stick in a window, but other than that (no NRA stickers) I don't know what would help. Advice?

TIA,

Michael

Be smart, man. Sure nothing is foolproof, but don't leave anything of value in the open. I usually cover my stuff with an old blanket or something. Also, park smart. For camping, I like the Klahanie campground across from Shannon Falls; it's quiet, fairly secure, and sort of out of the public eye. It might be more spendy, but it's not real money anyway, is it? Bwahahahaha!!!

"So what should a Washington climber do to be as safe as possible in Squamish?"

Basically, just relax and enjoy your stay. Contrary to the impression one might get from this B.B., there is no on-going campaign of violence and robbery targetting US visitors to Squamish. Your chances of anything untoward happening are no worse here than anywhere else. In fact, statistically, I suspect you're a Hell of a lot safer here in than in most of the United States. By all means, exercise a little common sense, and be aware that the more remote parking areas are perfect spots for thieves and vandals. And leaving large amounts of valuable equipment in your car for extended periods of time is just as bad an idea here as it is in downtown Seattle, or at Bellis Fair, or Metrotown in Burnaby. Downtown Squamish is about as safe as any place on earth, but as you get further from the main street, you need to take more precautions like locking gear out of sight in the trunk, or leaving it someplace else, or taking it with you.

And if you're really gripped about stuff you can't stash safely, by all means stop by the store here and I'll see if we can stow it somewhere for you.

Greg_W said:

Just be smart...and stay more than arms length from a drunken hairy-legged Canadian woman named Sheila!! blush.gifhellno3d.gif

Yeah, I learned years ago not to mess with my kid sister, 'specially once she's liquored up. Guess I should have warned you 'bout that...

Edited by murraysovereign

murraysovereign said:

Greg_W said:

Just be smart...and stay more than arms length from a drunken hairy-legged Canadian woman named Sheila!! blush.gifhellno3d.gif

Yeah, I learned years ago not to mess with my kid sister, 'specially once she's liquored up. Guess I should have warned you 'bout that...

It was nice meeting some of your siblings, then Murray. yellaf.gif