"The Base Camp" is going out of business

dberdinka

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpine_Tom said:

Dru said:

oh its about as much stealing as sitting in chapters or borders or barnes and noble, reading a book, then walking out without buying the book is stealing. rolleyes.gif incidentally a great way to wait out rainstorms in red rocks.

Actually, to my mind, it's more like buying the book, reading it, then returning it. (I know a guy who does that.)

What a local retailer offers is the ability to look at the merchandise, try it out, see if it works for you, plus the advice on whether it's right for what you want to use it for. The retailer bundles that service into the (higher) price for the product than you'd pay from some e-tailer.

For you to deliberately take that service without the intention to pay for it is, in fact, theft. Perhaps theft of a service (or an implied service) isn't technically shoplifting (my attorney wife is out of town, and these sorts of discussions annoy her anyhow) and couldn't (and shouldn't) be prosecuted, but it certainly is morally wrong.

To me it's like having a book store employee read you the book, recommend others like it, then you walk out.

Abbadon said:

Um, yeah, like I'm a totally awesome climber, and I want everybody to know about it, and I'm, um, really into living an ethically Vegan lifestyle, because it's, like, so cruelty-free, and it really pumps my nads that I get to sneer and be condescending to all the evil meat eaters out there. And it's like, it doesn't really matter that I can't tell the difference between ethics and morals, and I get so stoked when I tell other people what's bad for them.

So, like when I'm climbing, I use Converse All Stars on rock and snow and stuff, because they're like, all cotton and canvas and synthetic stuff, and it's what I need to live by my personal Vegan ethical code.

And then I went down to the store, and told them to rent me some clampons for my Converse All Stars so I could do Mt. Baker, and they like told me I could die or something, and that my All Stars weren't like waterproof or anything, and I would be a serious "handicap." So, like, what does that mean, and like why should it matter as long as I'm living according to my own code of ethics? Everything else is secondary, right? When I insisted they even said there wasn't any kind of clampon to fit my All Stars, like that makes any difference.

Totally!!! Boy, you sure do know your stuff!!! And your first post, too!!!