"The Base Camp" is going out of business

dberdinka

After 31 years of service in Bellingham "The Base Camp" closed it's doors on Friday. frown.gif Your choices for outdoor equipment are now REI, REI and REI (well AAI too). Personally I find this a little depressing. It was a good, knowledgable group of folks who worked there. bigdrink.gif

To those interested they're having a going out of business sale starting Wednesday. See all you vultures there! the_finger.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glassgowkiss said:

sign of times. bellingham is dying town. a lot of ventures left. the chamber of commerce doesn't give a flying fuck about the area..... washington tax structure is so stupid... plus we are still paying for all dot com bullshit hype, more pain in the near future...ciao- r

I think the real cause for the failure of this particular "retail store" is the availability the same products offered over the Internet at low prices. Many times I have gone into the Basecamp, tried something on, and bought it over the Internet. There is really no way to compete effectively against that.

Having said that, if a retail gear shop REALLY wants to stay in bussiness in B'Ham, they should do most of their sales over the Internet. Sell to the world with low overhead. Basecamp failed to modify their bussiness model to keep up with the times.

Dru said:

once again the Telemarkpyrenees Barabees and so on Euro shops prove the superiority of lower Euro pricing caused by greater competitiveness. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

wallmart correllation... where are the hippie liberals now? yellaf.gif

this is another troll brought to you by scottco. ind. - thank you and have a nice day...

Attitude said:

Formaldehead said:

Many times I have gone into the Basecamp, tried something on, and bought it over the Internet.

This is a tacky thing to do. Do you take up the time of people working in the store? You deserve REI. boxing_smiley.gif

I do the same at REI, tool. I also get a pittance on any of the crap that I do stoop to actually buy there, which never happened at Basecamp. Additionally, I've seen some pretty dumbass shit at Basecamp. I once had to give a lesson on pitons to one of the staff members. "This is an angle, and this is a knifeblade. THis is a bugaboo." Also, the owner flipped my wife soime serious attitude once when she was trying to buy vegan boots. "You're putting other people's lives at risk by wearing those boots."

Formaldehead said:

Attitude said:

Formaldehead said:

Many times I have gone into the Basecamp, tried something on, and bought it over the Internet.

This is a tacky thing to do. Do you take up the time of people working in the store? You deserve REI. boxing_smiley.gif

Also, the owner flipped my wife soime serious attitude once when she was trying to buy vegan boots. "You're putting other people's lives at risk by wearing those boots."

Forgive me...what are vegan boots? Boots without animal products?

Dru said:

once again the Telemarkpyrenees Barabees and so on Euro shops prove the superiority of lower Euro pricing caused by greater competitiveness. boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

this coming from the land of MEC, which gets special tax consideration etc etc rolleyes.gif

catbirdseat said:

That leaves Cascade Crags in Everett and Pro Mountain Sports in Seattle. Give them your business folks!

actually cbs there a few other "local" shops as well.

backpackers supply in tacoma, marmot in bellevue, feathered friends in seattle, mt constance in bremerton and alpine experience in olympia. and i think there are even more smaller shops as well.

support them all. i go for the best price and who has what in stock, and i support the people who support me.

I am very very bummed about Base Camp closing. frown.gif

I have been going there for years and purchasing gear, even if I know the price is higher. Why? Because I was paying for EXPERT customer service and experience. Each one of those guys or gals in there was pretty hardcore. You had fastpackers, old timers, you name it. They only carried gear that they liked and used themselves. You had their personal stamp of approval on all of it. I'm sorry that Frank, Doug and everyone else lost a place to work. If I would have known it was in such trouble, I would have never set foot in any other store. I just wonder what all these folks are going to do now. Sorry. I'll be there on Wed. to say bye and buy a few things.

Dru said:

michael_layton said:

It's my fault. They annouced it a week after I started working. Sorry, I can't do anything right

do you think they got affirmative action credit for hiring a gimp? wave.gif

confused.gif

He wasn't gimpin' on The World's Toughest Milkman, and that was almost a month ago... grin.gif