new pack recommendations?

rock-ice

I've had the same pack since I started climbing about five years ago. It was an "pine forest" that my uncle grabed for me when he was in korea for about $20. It has done allright, I guess. But in the last year its been ripping and generally falling apart. Over time i've repaired it but now that one of the shoulder straps has ripped off, its just dead.

So, with no previous experience shopping for a climbing pack I was hoping for some good advice on what to look for and any brands I should avoid or pay extra for.

Note: I need something to accomidate a couple days gear.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i recently threw down the dough to buy a arcteryszx (however the fuck its speled) rt35 pack. its the one with a roll top (thus the rt i reckon). pretty snaz fucking pack. i bought it cuz it fit real good when loaded.

that said i have used many packs and basically the simpler the better imo. too many pockets dont help me. whatever the fuck you buy load the thing up in the shop and wear it around. then put it back on the shelf and sleep on the decision. aint nothing but bad fitting boots make a trip more miserable than a bad fitting pack.

I do a lot of scrambling and steep snow and ice (not much class 5 rock).

This last weekend I was on colonial and snowfield peaks. I do alot of stuff like that. That happened to be where my pack strap broke too. Luckily I was only two miles from the trailhead on the way out.

I recommend checking out the Black Diamond Ice Pack, size 50L.

I used to use a fancy Dana Designs pack (Arclight Glacier, 90L), and it was really comfortable with big loads. However, I found that for climbing and scrambling, I'm typically trying to "go light" these days, which means I rarely need more than 50L capacity. The Dana pack itself is just too heavy. So nowadays I use the BD pack almost exclusively. It is great because you can reach around behind the pack and actually unhook and retrieve your ice axe or ice tool from the holder without having to take off your pack. That's very handy when you are climbing something steep and want to grab your ice tool, but there is no convenient ledge on which to take off and set down your pack. I also like how the top part of the pack is attached with fastex buckles. Easy to attach & detach, even with heavy gloves on.

For what it's worth I have a Dana Astraplane that I hiked 350 miles with. This pack is a monster, and it's held up very well. I certainly wouldn't recommend it for alpine, but I thought you'd like to know that this is one Dana Designs pack owner that' really happy with his pack. I also have a 3600 cubic inches (ballpark) capacity Gregory with this see-through to panel that's been great for winter snowshoe stuff. Anyway, I'm happy with both of them.

grin.gif I second the Mchale's recommendation! You get custom fitted, the colors you want as well as the options that you want. If you want super light you can choose spectra fabric, strong and light. Mchale's are also super versatile, changing from an expedition load hauler to a summit pack is as easy as removing a couple of stays and slapping on the summit flap. My .00000001 cent. thumbs_up.gif

I have a Mchale and an Osprey ether 42. Both of these packs I would recomend. I use the Mcale for multi day trips and the Osprey for skiing. I would suggest going to a shop and trying on what they have. With a lot of packs today you can't really go wrong if it fits you.

I use a Jansport pack(~3000ci) for the small one and a Kelty pack (~4200ci) for the big one. The Jansport was about 60 bucks while the Kelty was 52. Check out those two brands for some cheaper packs. The Jansport has been one helluva pack, too bad they don't make it anymore. It is now sewn together with plenty of dental floss. Dental floss holds up well if you think you can sew that shoulder strap.

Big 5 Sporting Goods has some good, cheap, alpine packs too. wazzup.gif

McHales rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif if you can, bite the bullet on the price - otherwise that pack you picked up for $100 will be replaced by many others and eventually you will wish you had the mchale. not to mention a mchale on your back will be a great conversation piece with the ladies yellaf.gifyellaf.gif. but seriously, they are the best packs made bigdrink.gif.

mwills said:

McHales rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif if you can, bite the bullet on the price - otherwise that pack you picked up for $100 will be replaced by many others and eventually you will wish you had the mchale. not to mention a mchale on your back will be a great conversation piece with the ladies yellaf.gifyellaf.gif. but seriously, they are the best packs made bigdrink.gif.

how much would a mchale pack cost me... no frills like 45 liter bare bones?

Fence_Sitter said:

how much would a mchale pack cost me... no frills like 45 liter bare bones?

Do I need to convert that into Cubic Inches ?

3500 cubic inch pack is going to run you around $350.

If you choose spectra material, it will run a bit more.

Dan McHale is a great guy and he'll set you up with what you need. He may even tell you what you need. yellaf.gif

Check his website http://www.mchalepacks.com/

His SARC line of packs will get the job done.

Thanks.