Learned to climb at 70, leading 5.9 at 85

Pencil_Pusher

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well here's a thought on the plusses of climbing vs organized sports... there's no rule book, no referees, no penalties, no drug tests, no scores, no clocks etc. Just go and climb when you want

after competing in a sport that involved subjective judging in some cases and a buncha lame rules in the other, climbing couldn't be more refreshing. The only judge is the rock, the only score is what i give myself.

jumbone said:

eric8 said:

well i was on the football, basketball, lacrosse, cross country, wrestling and the blabla look at me team that really gives a fuck the_finger.gif

Why doesn't every just write the own personnel biograhpy down

dumbass: these people are just expounding on the point someone made about what types of people are attracted to climbing and the suggestion someone else made about team-sports types not transitioning to climbing. if you're too dull to realize that, then shut the fuck up and figure it out when you get home. madgo_ron.gif and if you're too insecure about your unit to appreciate a heart-warming cc.com moment, then i've got a lot of junk email you might be interested in. HCL.gif

hugs & kisses,

jb

nope... these people are beating their chests (and a few other parts of their anatomy) as to their has-been statuses and explaining why they are in a second rate sport such as climbing... the real reason is obvious... they are too old, weak and have too little hand eye coordination to do any real sports, like baseball...

Stim came into the shop the other day looking for a 60 meter 8.5 bi-weave rope. That struck me as a little strange. We don't get many climbers looking for a sophisticated rope, let alone ones in their twilight years. I gave him a bit of a cockeye and asked him what kind of climbing he was planning on doing. We got to talking and bit by bit I recalled I'd seen this guy before. At the end, I asked him his name and he replied Stimson Bullitt. I'm glad I've had the pleasure of meeting the fine gent... and I hope I'm still shopping for climbing gear at his age.

Here's to you, Stim bigdrink.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

jumbone said:

eric8 said:

well i was on the football, basketball, lacrosse, cross country, wrestling and the blabla look at me team that really gives a fuck the_finger.gif

Why doesn't every just write the own personnel biograhpy down

dumbass: these people are just expounding on the point someone made about what types of people are attracted to climbing and the suggestion someone else made about team-sports types not transitioning to climbing. if you're too dull to realize that, then shut the fuck up and figure it out when you get home. madgo_ron.gif and if you're too insecure about your unit to appreciate a heart-warming cc.com moment, then i've got a lot of junk email you might be interested in. HCL.gif

hugs & kisses,

jb

nope... these people are beating their chests (and a few other parts of their anatomy) as to their has-been statuses and explaining why they are in a second rate sport such as climbing... the real reason is obvious... they are too old, weak and have too little hand eye coordination to do any real sports, like baseball...

hey fence ya frikkin little wanker punk, nice troll.

Stimson stands out because our expectations for older folks are so low. Lots of guys his age could do it if they made the effort to stay in shape and go for it. There was a guy in his 80's in the Kona Ironman last year or the year before and an increasing number in their '70's. A good many Americans retire at 65, get out the chips and the remote control, and they're dead within five years. It takes motiviation and effort to stay mentally and physically fit no matter how old you are. (although admittedly, brittle bones and shot knees can be limiting).

Freddy B. and Stim B.....fine examples! bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif