Interested In building a climbing wall under I-5?

David_Goldberg

I've corresponded with some climbers several months ago about the potential for a sport climbing facility as part of Seattle Park and Recreation's project to develop an open space/park beneath I-5 in the Eastlake neighborhood.

Parks has developed a site plan that identifies an area where this would be possible. I am contacting this list to determine if there is sufficient interest and organizational energy to make this happen. Seattle Parks has approximately $1.1 million to develop the entire site, however the budget is stretched thin because of the size (7.5 acres) of the area. Parks would be hard pressed to contribute much to construct the climbing wall, but.....there's always possibilities.

The Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club (BBTC) is organized and has pledged to contribute volunteer effort to design and construct mountain biking trails. Citizens for Off-Leash Areas (COLA) has pledged stewardship and management of the off-leash portion of the site. We would be looking for similar committment and contributions to the project from climbers. We would need to solidfy interest within the next few months. You can check out the latest information of the effort at http://www4.cityofseattle.net/parks/proparks/projects/i-5openspace.htm

Contact me at my work email, davidw.goldberg@seattle.gov

Thanks

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth (my outrageous fame, that is), I would definitely be interested in seeing a free-use climbing facility akin to Marymoor Park under I-5 someplace. You can contact me through this website if you need some volunteers (to try out the new rock smile.gif ).

AlpineK said:

I think a, pay to plink, paintball range with bums as targets would make more money.

not nice thumbs_down.gif

unlesss....maybe if you got the bums drunk first so it doent hurt too bad and you wuld have alots of bums that would play. if you got me drunk, i wuld play all day. thumbs_up.gif

Interesting to read all the comments. Thanks Dave S. for the posts. So far it seems like there's three individuals who might be interested in this. I'll work with them off line and see if they want organize.

Regarding $$ and pollutants... We've got the money from a voter approved levy and can't redirect it to other "worthwhile" projects with 3/4 of City Council voting to do it. Seattle isn't closing parks, though were are reducing maintenance since that is paid for out of the City's general funds. Those have taken a big hit.

The Puget Sound Air Quality folks and King County Health. They agree that it's best to exercise out of cities and on mountains (ding, ding you guys win!) Neither organization has any data about what levels of pollutants we might find under I-5. We may work with the County to get some monitoring. Recreating at this site should not be too much different from elsewhere in the City. People regularly run the stairs nearby, bike to work along congested streets and run everywhere.

So, we all balance exercising locally and not driving/polluting to get to fresh air with increased air pollution.

Ironically, the only beasts on tethers would be...some of you guys.

David

I just think of all of the heavy roadway particulate that will fall to this area. It's about the last place I'd want to send my kids to recreate. I's about the last place I'd want to. Just think of the black boogers and snot you'll be blowing out... yuck.

My fault for not reading the thread closely, but this money that's earmarked... could it be spent elsewhere? I can think of a dozen other better places, Gasworks, Myrtle Edwards, Volunteer, Freeway Park...

Jesus, tits and casserole you whiners! Here's a dude from the government offering for climbers to get involved in a project and all he gets are three people who 'might' be interested? So we see who's all show and no go. Keep whining, this thing will be built with or without your help. Roadway particulate, my ass.

Wow, you guys up in Seattle really have a different group of public servants than us in Los Angeles. In several different climbing areas in our region, there is not even recognition that climbing even exists. I'm fairly astonished that your folks want your input, and are even considering doing something to help the development of your sport.

I think this is a great idea. I'm going to start to look if there is some similar thing that could be done down here.

Dave:

I think it's a great idea. They have been doing this same thing Rambo-Style in the concrete jungle of LA for years. I, for one, am happy to contribute my time and effort. You are welcome to contact me directly; I may be able to encourage some real professional route setters for some ideas on fixed routes and belays stations.

Real professional route setter yelrotflmao.gif Who is it, Fried Bakey?

I don't really know anything about air pollution, other than I walk up and down Eastlake going to school so sometimes notice it... but there ought to be a good deal less air pollution when it's raining, right? And when it's raining is the only time when the UW rock, water tower, Marymoore park spire, etc., aren't that great...

• 4 weeks later...

Email I recieved from David Goldberg. Send him an email if you are interested in helping out with this project.

------------------------------------------------

I wanted to connect all the folks who've contacted me to support inclusion of a sport climbing facility as part of our I-5 Open Space Project. So, I've emailed you all at once. The web site for the project is http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/proparks/projects/i-5openspace.htm It provides some overview and history on the project. The Seattle Parks Board is reviewing the site plan, whch currently identifies a spot for a climbing wall.

While there is space at this site, it doesn't look like there will be funding in our budget to construct a climbing wall. I've corresponded with some folks on the cascadeclimbers web chat site. About 4-5 people said they were interested in the idea. Amy R. also sent out a notice and I've recieved some emails as a result of that.

Since funding is tight we'll be looking to work with a motivated group that could help raise $ or volunteer efffort to construct the project. So far, the Back Country Bicycle Trail Club (BBTC) has committed to building mountain biking trials so we've provided space and material in our budget. COLA, the offf-leash folks, have organized and will provide stewardship and assist with maintenance in the off-leash area. I'd be interested in working with climbers who can bring similar commitment to the effort. I'd be happy to come to meetings, provide briefings etc., however i don't have the ability to organize the effort. Hence the group email to you all.

If I get enough responses (6-8 at least) from folks who are willing to organize themselves, I'll set up an initial meeting. You folks would have to mostly carry the ball from there.

Let me know if you want work on this.

David W. Goldberg

Parks and Recreation

Project Planner

(206) 684-8414