Bear Sighting on Si

JGowans

So, I went for a run up Mt. Si. On the way back down about 2 switchbacks below the wooden walkway and the creek, I heard some movement in the trees. I looked up and about 15m away I could see a bear just ambling around. It was kinda small and looked black, and I'm no expert but I guessed it was a cub. I'm sure it must have heard me stomping down the trail, but didn't seem to care. I didn't stick around too long in case mother was in the vicinity.

Anybody else ever seen a fricking bear on Si???

By the way, now the chestbeating piece of my post...Ran up in 54.02. The clock started at the beginning of the trail and stopped at the end just before the rocky steps leading over to the other side and the haystack. I walked back down to save the knees.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellas (and ladies), I swear I saw a bear on Mt. Si. As for the 54 mins, I'll be glad to do it again with you old farts in attendance anytime just let me know when. I think I can go faster because there was a minute here and there that I just had to walk cos my calves were so damn tight.

I missed the 1 mile marker but my splits were

- 1.5 miles: 14 mins

- 2 miles: 26 mins

- 3 miles: 40 mins

- 4 miles: 54.02

I'm betting that there's guys that can run it either close to or under 45 mins. I can't but I'm sure there's quite a few locals that can.

catbirdseat said:

I challenge any of you to race JGowans up Mt. Si. I went running with him once and he blew my socks off (not that that is saying much), but I have not doubt he did it in 54 minutes. Now if the guy could just climb 5.9 at Little Si, that would impress the hell out of me...

what's the prize hommes? evils3d.gif

JGowans said:

Fellas (and ladies), I swear I saw a bear on Mt. Si. As for the 54 mins, I'll be glad to do it again with you old farts in attendance anytime just let me know when. I think I can go faster because there was a minute here and there that I just had to walk cos my calves were so damn tight.

I missed the 1 mile marker but my splits were

- 1.5 miles: 14 mins

- 2 miles: 26 mins

- 3 miles: 40 mins

- 4 miles: 54.02

I'm betting that there's guys that can run it either close to or under 45 mins. I can't but I'm sure there's quite a few locals that can.

JG i have never been to Si... wanna run up there sometime with me? i have a few nice runs around here i do too if you are interested...

That's fast.....a friend of mine does 100 mile trail runs and he smoked up Si in 44 minutes and some odd seconds.....As for the bear, pepper spray works good on them.....I sprayed one two Saturdays ago and it worked good!!! His face probably felt as red as this the_finger.gif

JGowens...

nice work, dude. now...where the trail starts...could be where?? at the parking lot?? at the bridge??? just up from the bridge, where the trail splits off from the walking loop?? i've always started at the bridge, and timed all the way through the rocks, to the saddle, just before the trail turns to the left up to the gully...leading up the haystack. there's a new switchback there now...and a bench.

there was a mt. si race in late june. anyone know the fastest time? missed it this year. think the record is held by uli...something around 40-44 or sumthun like that. think they time from the bridge to the rocks, like jgowens.

i once ran up si to the base of the stack in an hour so i'm willing to believe gowans could do it with the cooling effect of the kilt. BUT, i thought all good si times were to the top, so go back and do it in under 1:15 (no great feat).

"the start" for me was the path leading from the parking lot just where the toilet is. F_S, I'd be glad to go for a run with ya. Elevation gain Ursa_Eagle is I think around 3400ft??? I'm glad someone pointed out the faster times by other guys. I think back in the day I could have been somewhere around 45 mins, but 54 was good enough for me. I think with a bit more training, I can get closer to 50. Like I said, I did walk in total for about 5-6 mins here and there. My calves are killing me today.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BEAR??? Has anyone else ever seen a bear on Si???

Results from the Mt. Si race earlier this year:

place first last gender age hometown time year

1 Uli Steidl M 31 Seattle 0:41:31 2003

2 David Martin M 25 Seattle 0:43:40 2003

3 Chris Charles M 26 Seattle 0:47:51 2003

4 James Matsusaka M 36 Seattle 0:48:19 2003

5 Leif Kohler M 18 Issaquah 0:48:57 2003

6 Adam Braddock M 31 Seattle 0:52:31 2003

7 David Kessler M 25 Seattle 0:52:34 2003

8 Kent Murdoch M 42 FallCity 0:53:02 2003

9 Theo Murdoch Dog 2 FallCity 0:53:03 2003

10 Otis Murdoch Dog 1 FallCity 0:53:03 2003

11 Bill Cusworth M 35 Seattle 0:53:07 2003

12 Trisha Rosenberg F 26 Seattle 0:53:42 2003

13 Greg Kennedy M 25 Seattle 0:54:31 2003

14 Curtis Baird M 25 Olympia 0:55:34 2003

Start: Mt Si trailhead, North Bend

Finish: you have to touch the bottom of the "haystack", the 200ft summit rock of Mt Si

Length: 6.7 kilometers (that is 4.2 miles for the metrically challenged)

Elevation gain: 1000m

Format: Mass start. Runners are lined up at the start according to their current estimated 10k time. This will minimize the passing on the trail. Please be honest. No one wins this race on the first mile. However, if you start too fast you might be done after a mile, but unfortunately for you, not finished.

Course: The course starts by the water fountain at the parking lot and follows the trail up to the bottom of the "haystack", the 200 ft tall rock at the top of Mt Si. The last about 400m are in the open, bouldery area of the mountain. Stay on the trail to the right (follow signs to summit haystack), run to the right past a 50ft tall rock, then turn left towards the haystack.

> Looks like they ran further than me in that they touched the base of the haystack. I guess we can add another 2-3 minutes onto my time.

Race Details

it's hard to see a race result around here without uli steidl's name at the top. he would have run the marathon at the last olympics but the german track federation kinda screwed him over.

uli on the upper nisqually in his bike helmet:

climbingr.JPG