TR: Big Black Spotter

Dru

So I went bouldering after work at this area out by Hope. I did a few problems, and tried one highball and got scared and jumped off from the big jug halfway up instead of mantling it. Then I tried this one problem about 50 times but couldn't stick the move with net result of sandblasted tips. Then I hiked around and actually saw another guy bouldering (this is the first time I ever ran into another boulderer in Hope, I mean, I know they exist cause they scrub problems, but...)

So I hooked up with L. who was trying some weird problem with only two crazy creek chairs folded up for pads cause he is poor. so we used my pad and he nearly sent. then i did an easier version of his problem i wouldnt have had the psyche to complete without a spotter due to the height...

Then as I was trying his problem we heard this crashing in the bushes

"Oh maybe its someone else and they have more pads! Hey over here!"

But it wasnt a person. It was a big black bear!

We stared at each other for a moment then I grabbed the pad and flipped it in front of me (brave huh rolleyes.gif ) and that movement musta spooked it cause it ran away crashing in the bushes.

L and I packed up and got the fuck outta Dodge. Pooh can send that problem without us.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some friends and I were kayaking the Rogue River in southern OR. We look across the river from our camp to see 3 black bears wandering around as we were getting ready to set off. The usual chestbeating about how black bears are harmless and run from everything ensued. Then they started swimming across the river. Things got pretty quiet at that point, save for the racket we were making running for our boats.

I have seen lots of black bears before just never played turtle with a bouldering mat. I just thought it was funny that we thought it was another climber coming.

I have seen bears send V1 tree trunk problems. It looks like the iron cross move aka the bear hug of two opposing aretes is their special trick. One might argue that using claws is more like dry tooling than climbing though. snaf.gif

Growing up out in the country my friend paul and I usta get paid to take care of bears that where living to close to our neibors houses, and disrupting the animals, garbage, and what nots... The hills out side of Eugene have quite a few black bears living in the... Black bears this far south that live in populated areas are pretty teritorial to there den, even during summer... We usta track them to their dens and tear things up, shred ivory soap, and piss every where; the bears would relocate to a higher elevation(further from the private properties)... looking back on it I feel bad for doing it, fuck its not like the bears knew they were being a nusence but as a kid you do what ya can to be able to pay for that friday night date...

iain said:

Some friends and I were kayaking the Rogue River in southern OR. We look across the river from our camp to see 3 black bears wandering around as we were getting ready to set off. The usual chestbeating about how black bears are harmless and run from everything ensued. Then they started swimming across the river. Things got pretty quiet at that point, save for the racket we were making running for our boats.

yellaf.gif

A trip down the Lower Rogue (presumably where you were at) just isn't complete without some sort of bear encounter, and of course all sorts of elaborate bear-prevention shenanigans; coolers suspended from trees and whatnot. They've got electric fences at a lot of the campsites down there now, apparently, so you can put your food and shit in them. Probably won't be long before the bears figure out how to shut off the electricity or some shit.

iain said:

or those idiots who put their coolers in their rafts for the night to wake up to a pile of shredded urethane. hahaha.gif

Years ago when a young Doctor was down there with the fam', a bear strolled onto one of the boats at night and managed to tear the top layer off about a quarter of the cooler lid, but was apparently too lazy to finish the job, leaving us with just a mauled cooler. Of course, back up at the campsite, we had a cooler suspended from a tree branch, and we woke up to find the branch halfway broken through, although the cooler was unmolested. Poor bear probably took a grounder when the branch started to go and decided it wasn't worth it for a few packages of yogurt or whatever.

Speaking of climbing bears . . .

For a couple seasons I worked as a park ranger at Exit Glacier in Alaska. One day I was at the face of the glacier when a black bear stumbled upon the trail and was instantly surrounded by excited tourists. The bear freaked and started running up the glacier, ascending vertical ice with its claws! It quickly pulled over the top of a tall block and disappeared, I never saw it again. The coolest thing is, about a dozen people got it on film.