Is Mtn Soles at PDX REI screwing me?

Farrgo

I dropped my climbing shoes off for my third resole at the jantzen beach rei and just got a call tonight telling me that they wont resole my shoes again and if i try to sneak them by for another resole, they will take my shoes. am i getting hosed here or is there a decent reason for this? the leather is in good condition on the shoes still so i dont have any clue why they wont resole them again!?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That seems pretty wierd that they just call and tell you that they wont do a resole, there must be a reason. I've seen them take shoes that I thought would be better off in the trash, rework them almost like new and have them back in a week. Was it REI that called or mtn soles? Maybe it's just REI that doesn't want to deal with them, you might try OMC or mountain supply.

Unless of course the shoes got some serious funk, then you might just think about a new pair. yellaf.gif

• 6 months later...

Sounds pretty sketchy to me. They resoled my old manky Scarpa Minimas a while back, without an issue. I went through the dropoff service at the Portland Rock Gm, but Mountain Soles is located on SE 11th (or maybe 12th) near Hawthorne. You can drop them off directly if REI is giving you shite.

Don't know why they'd tell you that they'd keep them; that's crazy.

Send them to the Rubber Room or Red Rock Resoles and avoid these kinds of problems.

I took a pair of Enduros to Mountain Soles for a resole and was told that because the cardboard last was toasted that they can't resole. Um. . yeah, how do you resole slippers? Anyhow, I took that as gospel and tossed my shoes. I subsequently learned that this was incorrect information. I won't be using these guys ever.

After all the crap that REI gave me about the resole, the new soles only lasted less than two months. I know that MEC sells kits where you can resole your shoes at home. After my experience with mountain soles that is looking pretty attractive, I couldn't do a much worse job than them anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to add to the rumor and innuendo (hey, this is CC.com, it'll fit right in) but as I understand it, while ago Mt soles was bought by some new folks. I - and everybody had nothing but great exeriences with the last guy (Sam Kinney I beleive). So it's probably a whole new world out there.

My persepective, last time I sent my beater shoes to Mt soles, they did exactly what I asked (resole them). But they didn't fix the rip down the back like they had done on 2 other shoes unrequested. Thats when I heard of the ownerhsip change.

They did exactly what I asked and did a good job, I have no complaints, but it was less than the last owner would have done.

• 2 months later...

I just got an e-mail from Matt Menely the new owner of Mountain Soles. He says that he would not have taken my shoes if I tried to turn them in for a resole again. Sounds like an REI employee didn't know what they were talking about, big surprise. Anyhow, I want to apologize to Matt, I should have talked to him before posting here. I will start to take my shoes back to Mountain Soles again. thumbs_up.gif

Nate, thanks for the email and new post here about Mountain Soles.

Just so everyone knows here are some facts about Mountain Soles...

1. Mountain Soles was sold in Dec. 1999 by Bill McKinney to myself.

2. At that time mountian soles was moved from Trout Lake WA to my house in Portland OR.

3. Durring the first 6 months of 2000, I had Bill's employee Beth working with me to teach me how to resole. She resoled most all of the rock shoes those first 6 months I owned the business. I'll be the first to admit that the qualtiy of resoles that came out of my shop in the second half of 2000 were not that good. It has been 4.5 years since then and many folks consider my resoles to be the best they have had done.

4. In August of 2003 I moved the shop out of the garage and into a retail store front in SE PDX. I now have regular hours when customers can come talk with me about their repairs. (m,w,th,f 11-6)

5. I have always worked hard to make my customers happy. If a customer is not happy, they need to come talk to me so that I can try and resolve the problem with them.

Thanks,

Matt Menely

Owner

Mountain Soles

Outdoor Footwear and Fabric Repair

1623 SE 12th

PDX, OR 97214

503-236-0785

www.mtnsoles.com

I took a pair of Enduros to Mountain Soles for a resole and was told that because the cardboard last was toasted that they can't resole. Um. . yeah, how do you resole slippers?

Board lasted shoes depend on the board as part of the structure of the sole, if it is totally disintegrated then it is going to be hard to resole the shoe...

Slippers never had a board as part of the shoe, they depend on other parts to hold them together.

Sorry you feel that you were given incorrect info. As far as I am concerned the Endureo is quite posslibly one of the poorest quality shoes ever made. The enduro is a "board lasted" shoe. That means that the shoe is built on a board. The board in the Enduro breaks down more than any other board lasted shoe on the market, to the point that is disintagrates into nothing. The rubber is glued to this board, and your foot rests directly on top of this board. Thus, when board breaks down there is nothing left to glue a new sole onto. The board can be replaced but most resolers no longer do it becasue it is very labor intesive, can change the shape of the shoe (especially if you need rand work at the same time), and we can't make any money doing it. For the cost to resole, rerand and replace the midsole you could go buy a new pair of Enduros.

The enduro is made very differently than any slipper on the market, slippers are "slip lasted". On slippers, there is no board, there is a paper or plastic stiffener. If the stiffener is disintagrated then we usually still have a layer of leather inside the shoe to glue the new soles to. Not all shoes are made the same. As for sending them to Red Rock Resoles, Jules died in a motorcycle accident (nearly 2-3 years ago?), and Mountain Soles ended up finishing many shoes that Jules was in the process of resoling. Red Rock Resoles no longer exists.

Hope this clears things up.

Matt

Mountain Soles

503-236-0785

Thanks for having us do your shoes,

I just found this web site yesterday when I did a google search for "Mountain Soles" and it came up with this thread of posts about Mountain Soles. So I thought I better get on here and let folks hear things from my end.

Thanks,

Matt

Mountainsoles.com

If anyone has any furhter Q's for me please feel free to email me directly or call me, it will be much faster this way. I don't have a lot of time to check this site due to large amounts of work and a new baby in the house.

Thanks for all of the kind words, hope to fix your gear soon.

Matt

Owner, Mountain Soles Outdoor Footwear & Fabric Reapir

1623 SE 12th

Portland

m,w,th,f 11am-6pm

503-236-0785

mountainsoles.com

• 4 weeks later...