Where to go for chimneys

Gaston_Lagaffe

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flee Fly Flue is a good 5.7 chimney on the middle wall at Index. Its been awhile, but I think I remember, about 20-30 feet of nice wide bombay chimney action with no pro. Then placing the big green camelot and a brushy finish to the anchors. The rock isn't worn smooth like the aries chimney.

mark said:

Flee Fly Flue is a good 5.7 chimney on the middle wall at Index. Its been awhile, but I think I remember, about 20-30 feet of nice wide bombay chimney action with no pro. Then placing the big green camelot and a brushy finish to the anchors. The rock isn't worn smooth like the aries chimney.

As I remember Hips and Valleys also has a short chimney section and it is easy to set a TR on it.

Don't forget Roller Coaster Chimney, Black Widow or even Easter OH on Midnight.

DCramer said:

Don't forget Roller Coaster Chimney, Black Widow or even Easter OH on Midnight.

I guess Roller Coaster was technically my first 5.9 trad lead, though I only led the crux half of the pitch. It is a beautiful chimney, with a tricky exit move, and sure was a nice finish to the Flame.

I heart chimneys. cantfocus.gif Have a blast finding some good ones around here. Best of luck

texplorer said:

Surprised I haven't heard about the desert chimneys

-Kor/Ingals on Castleton

-The Priest

-Lightening bolt cracks

-Sister superior

Almost all the desert towers have chimneys come to think of it.

One of the scariest pitches I ever led was the 3rd on Kor-Ingalls, I had never climbed a chimney pitch harder than about 5.5 before that and ended up liebacking about 30ft through the crux, sweating bullets, cursing, breathing so hard I thought I was gonna puke. Came very very close to taking a big ride on that one.

The Priest is just disgusting it looks so scary.

And I hear Erik knows something about the scary chimneys on Tricks in Zion.

I'm suprised Tex didn't put in votes for a road trip to Yos to train on Steck Salathe', Hollow Flake, Midterm, Texas Flake. Lost Arrow Chimney...

• 2 months later...

The North Face route (opposite side from Klenke's photo) has a great chimney! Go way deep inside then squirm out behind a huge chockstone right at the top. It's like emerging from a snaf.gif hole.

Bunch of good easy chimney's here , that are a lot closer though. Probably could go climb 'em this weekend.

I just did a route at Vantage called "Strokin' the Chicken" in the Kingpins. It starts out as a double crack and then turns into a narrow chimney that gets wider as you go up. The good thing about this is that you can practice a variety of stemming moves as you go up. There is even a chockstone you can sling on the way up. It protects well. Although it is rated at 5.6, it seemed harder than Seven Virgins and a Mule (5.7) which I we did the same day. I think the reason is fewer face holds on which to cheat.

these chimneys are in the boulders below Carnival Crack in the Icicle Canyon. There is another fun gimme chimney in some random boulder up valley of Bridge Creek. Some of the most fun chimney bouldering I have ever done. Also I will add North North Arete on the Chief to my list of quality chimney involved climbing.

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Damnation crack at Castle Rock. There is also a good chimney that starts of NW Corner and W Face on NEWS.

I heard a great comparison once that climbing chimneys are like having sex. You get in, wiggle around until everything feels right, then have at it.

• 1 year later...

The flaring,narrowing chimney to the right of the climber in Joseph's third picture was a good test for me. There is a bolt to protect the exit move that I had to clip blindly. Move up, reach around, and yell "am I hi enuf yet?". Repeat till answer is yes laugh.gif

You guys are talking about Red Rocks go do this: Time up 5.12a, on Brownstone Wall; Put up buy Uriostes in 1985

Here in Washingtion,South Early Winter Spire, The Dolphin Chimeny 5.10c

Frenchman Coulee:Sex With Vegtables, 5.10D,The top half.

Seven Virgins and a Mule, 5.7

Index, Lizard Route,5.8+

Tieton River,on Moon Rock, Internal Bliss 5.7

The List go on?

Rocks