visiting Rainier this weekend (“cattle trail” beta request)

dward

I will be visiting Rainier this weekend to climb with some good friends. We will be camping at Muir and Igraham Flats. Weather permitting, we will be taking the DC “cattle trail” either Sunday or Monday morning.

I have always attempted to avoid the crowds when climbing Rainier (my other visits have been in May) and I do not know exactly what to expect in late July (hoards of people I am assuming). confused.gif

So, what can I expect at Muir and the upper mountain as far as the crowds go? Just how miserable is “tent city” at Muir? frown.gif Choice places to pitch a tent at Muir? Places to avoid? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated to help endure the masses! And yes, I know to start early before the RMI cattle drive...

Any info will be of tremendous help.

Many thanks. bigdrink.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

try to change your permits to Ingraham Flats if you can. sometimes the rangers at Muir can radio down and make the change if there's room over there....it's well worth the effort in terms of solitude and head start.

Another option is to camp below Muir in the snowfield. Even 500 feet down gives you a break from the cellphone toting masses. If you do that, be sure to hike on up to Muir and scope out the route across the Cowlitz and beyond in the daylight.

I detect a little disrespect for the late July D.C. experience. You will be able to move freely it isn't that bad.With the waist high ( in some places) boot track I liken it to adventure in a controlled environment. I have left muir by 11pm and got to the top by sunrise with time to spare. The only hassle was making way for the others on their way up while I was coming back down. It will be hot and miserable also so go neked with a little fleece over the weiner.

Don't go to Muir at all...camp below near Anvil Rock, say maybe about 500 ft. below Muir.

1. Instead of leaving the parking lot early, or even mid-day, wait until late in the day. With the heat of the day going down with the sun, begin your slog up to Anvil Rock area. You'll be alone, avoiding crowds of climbers and day hikers, and it will be considerably cooler out. You'll sweat less.

2. Camp at anvil rock instead of Muir. No crowds. Arrive at Anvil some 2.5 to 5.5 (depending on speed, physical conditioning, and how much crap you've convinced yourself that you need up there) later. So you arrive around 9:00 to 10:00. Go to sleep.

3. Wake up at about 7:00 a.m. Qiuickly pack up and move. You'll arrive at Muir shortly. Those that are there will be those that choose not to go, or some that RMI turned around. Move through Muir quickly and talk to no-one. Move up to Ingrham flats. Total time 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. Once again you have beat the heat.

4. You arrive at Ingrham Flats at about 9:00 a.m. Set up camp, melt snow, eat, fart, sleep abit. Get up and practice crevasse rescue and do some ice climbing in the crevasses. Hit the rack at 6:00 p.m.

5. Get up and get moving by 12:15 a.m. This will let you beat the hoards out of Muir. The key is to get ahead of them and beat them up the DC. This is the bottle neck and the area of greatest danger. You should be able to get to the summit by 3:45 to 6:00 a.m. without moving real quickly. There aren't likley to be too many others up there with you. Summit shots, blah blah blah. Climb into crater and get warm. eat and drink and wait for the hoards to crest the the summit crater.

6. As soon as they crest make a go for it. While they are deciding whether they should go over to the true summit and they are drinking water and eating go around them and begin your desnt. At first you'll run into a few groups. You should be able to by-pass them without too much trouble.

7. Close up camp and make a dash for Muir. Now go down. You should be down by noon without any problem. Beat the heat and crowds.

If you time it right...and a little luck...you won't get caught in the hoards. I did it once where we were on the summit for around and hour before the next team came up. It won't be solitude, but it is one way to avoid the crowds and the heat.

bigdrink.gif

In my experience on the DC, the crowds will come out of Muir in two waves:

1) People trying to beat RMI to the Cleaver. They'll bust out of Muir around midnight.

2) RMI. They'll leave Muir around 1:30 - 2:00 am.

Either get on the Cleaver before that first group, or jump right in front of RMI when they're taking their break at Ingraham Flats. By that time most of group 1 will be at the top of the Cleaver.