I just found a turtle in my backyard

ChrisT

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an iguana sunning itself on my front porch once.

If its wild why not let it go?

Speaking of red snapeprs: Did you hear the one about the woman that went fishing with three guys? She came home with a . . .

I know--thats bad

If you find a native oregon water turtle, don't tell anyone about it. I forget the actual species name, but they are proctected once endangered...

Growing up, we had a beaver pon on our property, with a creek running through it. long story short, we found the turtles in the pond and some local enviornmentalists scoped it out, and found that we had native cut throught trout in the creek, and they tryed to take our property away from us and turn it into a wetlands preserve. after a couple years of paper work and haseling by the funkin tree hugers, we were left alone and my parentce still have the propety... but it would have doone us good not to tell anyone about the turtles, haven't seen any out there in years, I think they have moved down streem to a deeper pond system...

Fejas, it is called the Western pond turtle and they are not endangered, but a listed species of concern. The only way ChrisT would find one in her backyard would be in the early spring, when the turtles are up laying eggs and that would only occur if she were near water.

Fejas, sorry to hear about the issue with your parents, but the government is not going to "take" property over a western pond turtle or cutthroat trout as they are not federally listed species. You sure there isn't another species in those wetlands they were concerned about? Was this in Eugene? Also, I wouldn't exactly call the govt. (the only one who can "take" or sieze property,) tree huggers. Look who is in office!

Take two-pounds turtle meat, cut in small pieces, braise in two ounces of butter with a little onion. Add one-half pint of cream and two hard-cooked eggs cut rather fine. Thicken with a little flour mixed first with cold milk. Salt and paprika to taste, a glass of Madeira, if desired, and serve from chafing-dish on squares of toast with sliced lemon. Mmmm...tastes like chicken. evils3d.gif

ryland_moore said:

Fejas, it is called the Western pond turtle and they are not endangered, but a listed species of concern. The only way ChrisT would find one in her backyard would be in the early spring, when the turtles are up laying eggs and that would only occur if she were near water.

Fejas, sorry to hear about the issue with your parents, but the government is not going to "take" property over a western pond turtle or cutthroat trout as they are not federally listed species. You sure there isn't another species in those wetlands they were concerned about? Was this in Eugene? Also, I wouldn't exactly call the govt. (the only one who can "take" or sieze property,) tree huggers. Look who is in office!

No, the gov. was on our side, but we had to go through all the paper work first, an outside organization put forth the issue to try to get the land for a preserve, because the propety was filed for a request to manage due to protected speices, it became a canidate for wetland property. It was when I was prety young, so I don't remember the fine print details, just that it was a pain in the ass cause some one told the wrong person about the wild life living there at the time. like I said, there hasn't been any turtles living there in a wile...

We saw a large (1.5' - 2' in diameter) snapper trying to get to a cave in VT once. We gave it wide berth. (The caves were insurgances, but we went in anyway. The other two guys were wearing wetsuits, but I only had polypro. Wet caving without a wet suit!) When we went by the same area a little while later (you don't go wet caving without a wetsuit for very long), the turtle had moved on.