N. Nasakwatch Spire/ N. Ridge TR

Drove to the last switchback before the trailhead. The gate opens around seven and is locked about 4:30 pm, weekdays. The trail seemed sketchy for the first thirty feet but then was really nice and well marked the rest of the way. It was a steep trail but very enjoyable in the forests and next to the large granite cliffs at the bottom of Illusion peaks.

There is good water at the creek about 1/2 hour to 1 hour from the trailhead, and plenty of snow to melt up by camp. The approach to high camp took us about 3 hours. An ice axe was not needed, can aviod most snow on boulders. You may want an axe if going up Mt. Rexford to get up the first gully.

The North ridge of the spire was pretty dirty, some route finding and low fifth class moves. Did a running belay. The summit and decent were more enjoyable, I thought. Some class 3 and option rappells to speed it up. RT from camp took 5 hours, which included much dillydallying on the summit. We camped on a large flat boulder by the noll. Nice night. Bring deet for the sqeeters though.

The next day we planned on doing Rexford, but we didn't want to push the clock getting back to the gate, because we could have been locked in all weekend. So we hiked down to the cliffs by the trail and did some toproping on some slabs until I ran out of water.

Will try and post photos soon.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see em in bottom centre. Purple shirt dude liebacking. White shirt dude belaying.

They are on the variant* start to "Shaun and Dwayne's 11a Route" also known as "Route C"

* The one that avoids the 11a crux moves. yellaf.gif

Good eye's Dru

I see nothing, but that dont mean much cantfocus.gif

I did the N and S spire a few days ago. The N. ridge of the south spire is very big choss. best to by pass below and ascend the 4th class ramps from the East. Being a crappy offwidth climber I found the "5.7" finish pitch to be spicy, maybe cause I only had 1 tipped #2 big bro and I was cry.gif

Fun day! thumbs_up.gif

didn't look like the S. spire gets climbed much

• 2 weeks later...