Newbie TR: Mount Hood via Standard Route

Braumeister

After climbing Adams earlier in the week (see TR on the Southern Washington Cascades page), our party of four decided to attempt Hood on Thursday, 7/17.

We paid our $15 for a ride to the top of the Palmer Chair (yeah, I know, "Peak Baggers!") and began climbing at 8:00 AM. Snow conditions were firm and excellent, providing good cramponing the entire way up.

Passed two climbers on their descent just below Devil's Kitchen as the sun was hitting the crater on what was to become the most bluebird day of the whole week.

The bergrshrund is melting out but we easily negotiated the left side, crossing at least one suspect snow bridge (maybe it's the newbie in me, but I was a little nervous).

We climbed a nice set of stairs on the Chute, unroped. Snow conditions remained firm until the Pearly Gates where a thin layer of ice over the pumice and rocks was experienced for ~ 75' until it turned to loose chalk.

Gained the summit at 11:30 AM for outstanding views of Jefferson, the Sisters, Rainier, Adams, and St. Helens--not a cloud in the sky! Met a guy at the top who was preparing to descend Cooper Spur with his buddy and find their skis.

We were all a little nervious during the descent through the Pearly Gates but we all made it without incident (my buddies didn't even kick any rocks down on me!).

Due to lounge-time at the summit, we missed the Palmer Chair by 45 minutes and descended the route on the ungroomed ski runs until reaching Silcox Hut where we walked back on the road to the parkinglot, arriving at the car ~ 3:00 PM.

Retired to the Hood River Brewing Company for microbrews and fish tacos bigdrink.gifcheeburga_ron.gif

All in all, a fantastic climb in the most unbelievable conditions! thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fejas said:

Don't be a fuckin pussy, climb from the base next time... You didn't climb Mt Hood if ya road the the chair half way up...

Whatever--maybe all climbs should start from sea level in order to be "legitimate."

I'll be sure to run my next itinerary past you for approval. Dickhead. the_finger.gif

Good climbin, good friends, great veiws... thats great, but to claim ya climbed a mountain when ya started half way up the bitch is fucking weak man... sure ya had a great time and thats a peach of a thing, I'm not knock you or your friends, I'm knockin your claim to fame bro... Confusious say, he who does not start at the begining of the journey, does not journey at all...

when I slogged up Hood in late May (starting from the parking lot) I bumped into a friend of mine just below the hogs back who had taken the cat up to the top of plamer...to save time I guess. Still ended up summitting ahead of him as he had to double back and fetch his crampon. grin.gif

Actually, you start damn near half way up Mt Hood by just driving to the Timberline parking lot. Taking the lift, you start at (8,500/11,200)*100=76% of the way up the mountain.

Ahem... I will now nominate myself as the authority on the subject, and declare that you gotta climb half the mountain.

But if you had a good time, that's all that matters!

Fejas said:

Good climbin, good friends, great veiws... thats great, but to claim ya climbed a mountain when ya started half way up the bitch is fucking weak man... sure ya had a great time and thats a peach of a thing, I'm not knock you or your friends, I'm knockin your claim to fame bro... Confusious say, he who does not start at the begining of the journey, doesn't journey at all...

And all those people who take the boat across Ross Lake on the way out of the Pickets are a bunch of wusses!

Give the dude a break... he had a good time in the mountains, which is the most important thing there is!

Braumeister said:

We paid our $15 for a ride to the top of the Palmer Chair (yeah, I know, "Peak Baggers!")

is this a new definition of a peak bagger?? i thought a peak bagger was generally one who climbed a lot of mountains, mostly by easier routes. not sure if taking the lift makes one a peak bagger, in and of itself (??).

this guy's cool in my book. he admits he's taken the lift, and who cares if it's halfway or whatever. he had a great time...and paid the salary of some lift operators.

he could have lied, or left out the lift assist part...is that a better approach??

i say thumbs_up.gifbigdrink.gif

I'd have to say that taking the palmer lift is AID. It doesn't save time and it just proves that you are a lazy ass.

If you are such a "peak bagger", why did you have to take the chairlift? Your not going to get any more of your so called peak's if you keep climbing like this wussy style you got going on. Suck it up and climb that extra 2 miles or whatever it is.

You gotta learn that if you post crap like this your gonna get burned, just read my stevens pass TR for an example..........wanker

So I guess all the folks who take the boat across Lake Chelan to Stehikin (or what ever the place is) and climb all the peaks over there have never actually 'climbed' any of those mountains? rolleyes.gif come on!!

This guy was on the summit of a mountain on Thursday while I was at work so bigdrink.gif to him. He was having fun and *that* is what counts. thumbs_up.giflay off.

youngprofessor said:

f8...i'd have to agree with that. taking the idea to the limit...i guess that means if ya drive to the top of a peak, or fly up on a helo, you're also a peak bagger. is that right? at what point does the term "peak bagger" move away from a mountaineering context??

IMHO it moves away from mountaineering when the importance of standing atop a mountain supercedes the experience of getting there. Some people claim summits so they can check it off a list and brag to the girls at the bar. Some people climb for the experience and the reward of the journey.

Anybody who gives this guy shit for posting a trip report is a fucking asshole.I dont seem to have read him bragging about what good style he used like most of the other fucksticks on this site.He simply gave a trip report.(snow conditions, weather etc.)I dont care if he took a helicopter to the top at least hes posting information about the conditions.To all you supermen and women out there who decide how one must act,look or climb in the mountains to be having a good time....GO DIE!!!!! mad.gif

Oh and by the way I dont give a fuck what you consider AID!

Figger_Eight said:

. . . when the importance of standing atop a mountain supercedes the experience of getting there. Some people claim summits so they can check it off a list and brag to the girls at the bar. Some people climb for the experience and the reward of the journey.

So now you claim insight into this guy's motivations?

Like others have pointed out, he was honest about his ascent, had a good time and tok the time to share his expreriences here. I commend you Braumeister! Kudos to actually climbing something rather than giving people shit on here.

For those who have never climbed Mt. Hood via the south side let me tell you that the slog through the snow field is no 'climb' by any stretch of the imagination. Its flat out boring and not in any way challenging aside from staying awake while you hike it. The guy paid for a ride in the lift--BFD.

I rode a snowcat once (it was free) up the south side for a winter attempt on Yocum. I've also slogged up the Palmer ~40 times or so. Just in the interest of full disclosure.

Figger_Eight said:

youngprofessor said:

f8...i'd have to agree with that. taking the idea to the limit...i guess that means if ya drive to the top of a peak, or fly up on a helo, you're also a peak bagger. is that right? at what point does the term "peak bagger" move away from a mountaineering context??

IMHO it moves away from mountaineering when the importance of standing atop a mountain supercedes the experience of getting there. Some people claim summits so they can check it off a list and brag to the girls at the bar. Some people climb for the experience and the reward of the journey.

thumbs_up.gif Couldn't agree more!! thumbs_up.gif

Craig

Toptimmy - you're a tool rolleyes.gif

RBW - I was just answering YP's question with my opinion on what I think a 'peak bagger' is. I don't give a shit what braumeister does and how he climbs...that's his deal - his response to Fejas cracked me up, though. You guys want to get up in arms about this, feel free. I just happen to think the style of the ascent is more important than the summit.

You know what I love about cc.com. You get a bunch of tools who sit at the computer in there office all day and pass judgement on other people. Does it really matter in your life how someone else climbed hood. I am stoked the guy climbed hood and got the awesome view, and was not killed by rockfall with such a late start. The rest of you guys are such little richards for ragging the guy. For a lot of people just getting up to the summit is a incredible experience. It is only later when you become proficient that you began to culminate a sense of style. I like light, fast, solo or with one other good partner, but thats just me. If someone likes chairlift, slog, and long slog down through ski area who am I to judge them. You guys need to take all the time you spend spraying on here and do some training instead! This guy is not going to steal your thunder out of your ascent of hood. He is just doing the best that he could.

nice work braumeister, good to see people are still enjoying hood this late in the year. usually I give up on the thing after May. My trips in June have generally been choss-filled sufferfests in waterfall-soaked graham cracker gullies and helicopter rides to the hospital with large dents in the helmet yellaf.gif

Hey, I was bored and thought i'd fuck with him, he got upset, so I clearly stated that I wasn't nockin him or his friends. I think that maybe he should have posted the TR from his climb up Mt Adams, that sounded like more of an acomlishment, maybe he did... any ways, I'm a fuckstick asshole bitch ass cunt, and I'm goona die someday... I could not, in a clear consence, post a TR about MY CLIMB UP HOOD if I rode the cat half way up; thats all that was ment by my rude coment.