Mt Jefferson - Jefferson Park Glacier Rte

ClimbingCowboy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general? Or were you looking for someone recently up there. The route should be in excellent shape right now, with some minor ice bouldering through the bergschrunds. Be careful if you skirt the first one on the left, as it is exposed to serious rockfall.

Did the route a number of years ago on a summer solstice weekend. Took the right hand side of the glacier up, then made the schrund crossing and reached the ridge near the large pinnacle (Mohler's Tooth?) that is prominent on the right ridge skyline above the schrund.

The route from there is a pretty straightforward ridge traverse to make it over to the summit pinnacle, where one has to make a very steep (to me) traverse to gain the scramble routes to the summit.

I would go very soon since the schrund crossing will get sketchier (and the rockfall more intense from the headwalls) as more days go by. Also, I might recommend camping at around 7000' near the glacier snout above Jeff Park.

Good luck! wave.gif

the rock pinnacle on the right is actually Smith Rock, and the buttress on the left (where the narrow ridge is) is the Mohler Tooth. I would stay away from the right side of the glacier. I have witnessed huge breaks off the icefall on the upper right, and these somehow bounce large chunks all the way down the glacier. I say stay on the left where there are no crevasses, then traverse over to the ramp up to the ridge. I agree with the camping deal.

If you are going unroped in the dark I would definitely stay far left on the glacier. There are many large crevasses that open up later in the year (I have climbed it in September before) and they extend far over. Should be a cakewalk right now, but tread carefully.