Good rock climbers don't live in Washington...

offwidthclimber

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dru said:

boxing_smiley.gif I will have to consult my daytimer for exact number of days but I believe since January 1 I have logged somewhere in the neighbourhood of 60-70 days playing outdoors ( I am including a couple of days hiking in the rain and so on in this total) fruit.gif

beating off outside the bedroom window of your neighbor's 12 year old boy does not count as outdoor activity! evils3d.gifhahaha.gif

but we'll have timmy run a query on your posts to verify that there were actually 60-70 days since jan 1 where you had enough time between posts to go do something. boxing_smiley.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

erik said:

hey

drul you know it all dont you! meet boyd downin ic with heavy duty last fall. nice kid even if he has tude'.

index is a good place to climb smart guy. you should try it sometime if you even get diapers that fit. i am sure you can make the approach pitch in speedy canyuckidan style to the GNS!

talk shit once you have something to back it up one...and one half day dont count!!!

the_finger.gif

Heavy Duty!!!??? The crazy british guy with the gut and malt liquer in hand? That guy's a crackup!

I will regret posting this!

Ok Dru two A3 routes take your choice:

Dragon Tail (just one measly pitch)

Or

V420 ok it's A3+ so I’ll throw in an extra $100

But on the serious side, Squamish has some really good routes no question. It also has a lot of moderate routes. But World Class hate to say it but if I flew across the country or from Europe to climb only at Squamish or Index I’d be very disappointed.

While Squamish has a large number of routes, much like the local teens, it takes 30 or 40 to equal an Index route!

Darryl

ChucK,

you should be out bouldering!

But will they still fly in there to climb only in Canada when/if your currency gets stronger? Couple of the international guys I talked to last season really wanted to come down to WA to check out our rock (Index and WA pass) but couldn't do it on their CD$4/day budget.

Dru said:

people fly in from all over the world to climb in squamish but not to index....case closed

Good - we like it that way fine - more perfect camping on the Skykomish and stellar routes stacked like a row of dominoes for US!!!

Dru only climbs at world-class climbing areas, just check his TR's... rolleyes.gif

DCramer said:

But how many come back?

DC

well, looking close to home, i think Thelawgoddess has been up like a dozen times so far this year...

SQUAMISH: bouldering. INDEX: no bouldering worth speaking of

SQUAMISH: sport routes of all grades 5.6-5.14c INDEX: only 5.11 and up basically; no 5.14s

SQUAMISH: over 1,000 pitches of TRAD from 1 to 23 pitches in length including WORLD CLASSICS. INDEX: a few hundred pitches of trad, multipitch is only 5-6 p. long unless you count Mt Baring. heavily concentrated in the 5.10 to 5.12 range

SQUAMISH: clean on popular routes. INDEX: vegetated/mossy on even semipopular routes

SQUAMISH: a town to hang out in INDEX: a quarry converted to redneckville to camp out in

SQUAMISH REST DAY ACTIVITY: windsurf, mountainbike, hike, smoke good Canadian weed. INDEX REST DAY ACTIVITY: Reptile Zoo.

SQUAMISH AID: about 2 dozen routes from 1-12 pitches and C1 to A4+. INDEX AID: mostly single pitch, dirty, or aiding free routes

SQUAMISH OFFWIDTHS: ok we don't have a lot.

any questions yellaf.gif

erik said:

DRU GOT OWNED BY THE BECKY ROUTE!!

DARRYL YOU THINK IT IS SAFE TO PUT SUCH A PUNTER ON V420?????

I'm not Darryl but NO! That route looks HARD. I wanted to do the first pitch a while ago and took one look at it and headed over to Abaraxas.

Re: rest day activities...The Skykomish is a very popular river for rafting and kayaking. There are also numerous hikes including to the base of Mt. Index and some decent biking in the hills behind Gold Bar.

You won't find the camping crowded and the pizza bread from the Town Store rocks!

The reptile zoo moved down the road so it isn't so convenient anymore... rolleyes.gif

I agree that there are not A LOT of high rock climbers in Washington--even in Squamish. There are some......

Rain. That's the reason. Nobody remembers that it rains a lot up here--especially around Squamish too. Can't get out a hell of a lot even in the spring and fall if its raining. All those other places listed in the original post are some dry places where one can be out in decent weather a good chunk of the time.

ehmmic said:

Re: rest day activities...The Skykomish is a very popular river for rafting and kayaking. There are also numerous hikes including to the base of Mt. Index and some decent biking in the hills behind Gold Bar.

You won't find the camping crowded and the pizza bread from the Town Store rocks!

The reptile zoo moved down the road so it isn't so convenient anymore... rolleyes.gif

why are you being so reasonable in a battlecage thread boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Dru,

I would have to agree with you that there is better climbing to be had at Squamish. But at least at Index you don't need to drive to a whole different country to get good food.

Unfortunately for you though, your manhood has been seriously challenged, so you are now going to have to visit lowly Index. Unless of course, you're a fag. hahaha.gif

A sixer for a measly 10a! bigdrink.gif